Wiki Posts
Search

CBP Suit over phone seized at the border

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2018, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, United
CBP Suit over phone seized at the border

I had not heard of this case before: https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-45295615
Old Aug 24, 2018, 3:18 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
From the article...

"Ms Lazoja is a Muslim woman and wears a hijab (a headscarf) in accordance with her religious beliefs
Which to me equates to FWM
Old Aug 25, 2018, 7:39 am

Programs: CBP
This isn't the first phone we've seized.

This isn't the first lawsuit we've received.

Business as usual.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 9:39 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by maninblack

Business as usual.
Indeed it’s unseemly business as usual to repeatedly harass a US citizen and yet falling short of pursuing the person for a criminal violation in a court of law.

DHS = Department of Harassment Screening? That invites lawsuits.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Business as usual.
Do you require any real evidence that a person is engage in some illegal activity or do you just guess?
Old Aug 25, 2018, 11:03 am

Programs: CBP
"Do you require any real evidence"

No, we use fake evidence.....
Old Aug 25, 2018, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Do you require any real evidence"

No, we use fake evidence.....
Sadly I suspect that's exactly the quality of evidence used in many cases.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 3:20 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I note that she is represented by the Council on Islamic-American Relations.

The lawsuit alleges that her phone contained privileged communications between her and her attorney with the Council on Islamic-American Relations.

It's unclear why they were representing her before her phone was seized, but it suggests that she was involved in some prior activism or discrimination claim or dispute with the government or something like that.

I'm not saying that's a good basis to seize her phone. CBP may have had an excellent reason to seize her phone, or they may not have.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 8:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jphripjah
I note that she is represented by the Council on Islamic-American Relations.

The lawsuit alleges that her phone contained privileged communications between her and her attorney with the Council on Islamic-American Relations.

It's unclear why they were representing her before her phone was seized, but it suggests that she was involved in some prior activism or discrimination claim or dispute with the government or something like that.

I'm not saying that's a good basis to seize her phone. CBP may have had an excellent reason to seize her phone, or they may not have.
The indications on why she may have also had attorney-client communications on her phone is rather obviously indicated in the linked item above: frustration with being repeatedly and consistently flagged (over a frustratingly long period) for extra screening by DHS employees.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by GUWonder

The indications on why she may have also had attorney-client communications on her phone is rather obviously indicated in the linked item above: frustration with being repeatedly and consistently flagged (over a frustratingly long period) for extra screening by DHS employees.
Where does it say in the linked item that she was repeatedly and consistently flagged for extra screening over a frustratingly long period by DHS employees?
Old Aug 26, 2018, 10:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jphripjah
Where does it say in the linked item that she was repeatedly and consistently flagged for extra screening over a frustratingly long period by DHS employees?
Maybe I got the wrong Muslim woman. It could be about another Muslim woman being harassed by DHS employees.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 26, 2018 at 10:18 am
Old Oct 2, 2018, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This case isn't directly related to border searches but I think it points to the mindset of federal law enforcement and the direction things are headed concerning our personal electronic devices.

Smart phones, tablets and other such devices contain a wealth of information which might be of interest to government investigators and I believe they will push the boundaries to extract that information up to and including obtaining search warrants in particular cases. Even if securely locked a wise person would endure that nothing is on a device that they don't want shared with unknowns.

The FBI used a suspect’s face to unlock his iPhone in Ohio case
Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A Couple of Lessons --

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
This case isn't directly related to border searches but I think it points to the mindset of federal law enforcement and the direction things are headed concerning our personal electronic devices.

Smart phones, tablets and other such devices contain a wealth of information which might be of interest to government investigators and I believe they will push the boundaries to extract that information up to and including obtaining search warrants in particular cases. Even if securely locked a wise person would endure that nothing is on a device that they don't want shared with unknowns.

The FBI used a suspect’s face to unlock his iPhone in Ohio case
1. All of these "convenience" unlocking schemes such as facial recognition and "touch ID" are also convenient for CBP and other prying LE eyes. So, there's nothing like a good ol' fashioned passcode -- six digits versus four on the iPhone.

the affidavit notes that both the Columbus Police Department and Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation possess devices that would allow them to bypass a phone’s passcode.
2. I forget the name of the device, but I have seen articles on the subject. It's basically a random number generator that can also send a command to reset the internal iPhone counter to zero before the phone can brick itself after ten unsuccessful attempts to unlock it. So, it basically runs until it guesses right. Using a six-digit passcode, you increase the number of possible combinations of numbers from 10,000 for four numbers to 1 million for six numbers. You can't stop them, especially if they have a warrant, but you can make it 100 times harder.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 3:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
1. All of these "convenience" unlocking schemes such as facial recognition and "touch ID" are also convenient for CBP and other prying LE eyes. So, there's nothing like a good ol' fashioned passcode -- six digits versus four on the iPhone.

2. I forget the name of the device, but I have seen articles on the subject. It's basically a random number generator that can also send a command to reset the internal iPhone counter to zero before the phone can brick itself after ten unsuccessful attempts to unlock it. So, it basically runs until it guesses right. Using a six-digit passcode, you increase the number of possible combinations of numbers from 10,000 for four numbers to 1 million for six numbers. You can't stop them, especially if they have a warrant, but you can make it 100 times harder.
GrayKey sells a bunch to local/state law enforcement. There are ways to frustrate GrayKey, but most users of susceptible devices to brute force type attacks failed to implement a plan to frustrate the use of brute force type attacks like that used by GrayKey.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 4:06 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by GUWonder

GrayKey sells a bunch to local/state law enforcement. There are ways to frustrate GrayKey, but most users of susceptible devices to brute force type attacks failed to implement a plan to frustrate the use of brute force type attacks like that used by GrayKey.
iOS 12 may put an end to GrayKey:

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/06/04...ed-by-default/

Or GrayKey might find another hole, who knows. They claim to have already defeated iOS 12 but it seems there's a lot of skepticism about that claim.

Last edited by txflyer77; Oct 3, 2018 at 4:14 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.