Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

CBP Knife Found in a Checked Bag after Arriving in Buenos Aires from Houston

CBP Knife Found in a Checked Bag after Arriving in Buenos Aires from Houston

Old Aug 23, 18, 6:07 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,517
CBP Knife Found in a Checked Bag after Arriving in Buenos Aires from Houston

Not quite on topic but along the same lines of a FAM showing his weapon:

petaluma1 is offline  
Old Aug 23, 18, 7:44 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: PVD, BOS
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 1,663
Originally Posted by petaluma1 View Post
Not quite on topic but along the same lines of a FAM showing his weapon:
Wow. Is that a new twist on the Manila bullet scam?
swingaling is offline  
Old Aug 23, 18, 8:19 am
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 18,636
Interesting that the knife blade is engraved with "U.S. Customs and Border Protection". So who inspected the bag and if it was Customs why is a TSA inspection note in the bag or did some TSA screener pocket some federal property they found? Most times a picture is worth a thousand words, in this case I would say a thousand questions.
Boggie Dog is online now  
Old Aug 23, 18, 3:12 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Posts: 35,457
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog View Post
Interesting that the knife blade is engraved with "U.S. Customs and Border Protection". So who inspected the bag and if it was Customs why is a TSA inspection note in the bag or did some TSA screener pocket some federal property they found? Most times a picture is worth a thousand words, in this case I would say a thousand questions.
Actually, it was TSA. They screening the checked bags. They open her bags and look into it. She didn't have a drugs or anything like that. Nothing suspicious.
N830MH is offline  
Old Aug 23, 18, 5:05 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 369
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Actually, it was TSA.
With a CBP knife?
RandomNobody is offline  
Old Aug 23, 18, 6:19 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 203
Could be personal knife the TSA screener got from a CBP officer, or something like a DHS gift shop if that exists.

Or maybe the bag was screened by both TSA and CBP.

I'm sill a little skeptical that's a GI knife, though.
mauve is offline  
Old Aug 23, 18, 7:27 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Posts: 35,457
Originally Posted by RandomNobody View Post
With a CBP knife?
No, not CBP. It was TSA. They did not know what is in her bags.

Originally Posted by mauve View Post
Could be personal knife the TSA screener got from a CBP officer, or something like a DHS gift shop if that exists.

Or maybe the bag was screened by both TSA and CBP.

I'm sill a little skeptical that's a GI knife, though.
Actually, it was TSA who searched her bags, not CBP. As for CBP, they do not screening the bags for outbound flight. Only for incoming flight.
N830MH is offline  
Old Aug 25, 18, 5:55 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Baltimore, MD USA
Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Posts: 4,115
Originally Posted by mauve View Post
Could be personal knife the TSA screener got from a CBP officer, or something like a DHS gift shop if that exists.

Or maybe the bag was screened by both TSA and CBP.

I'm sill a little skeptical that's a GI knife, though.
Don't know what this indicates, but I found the make and model of the knife. It's a Smith and Wesson First Response Liner Lock. Retails for under $20 online.
Amazon Amazon

I have a similar knife, a S&W CK5 Extreme Ops, but I find it underwhelming. It's better than most sub-$20 knives, but not in the same ballpark as my $60-$80 Benchmade or Kershaw or Buck folders. It's heavy and uncomfortable in the hand, I only bought it because it's unusual looking. I suspect that the First Response is much the same; it looks like it's made from the same materials, and it's in the same price range.

I can't imagine CBP issuing a sub-$20 knife to their officers, but I could see one of them perhaps getting his personal knife engraved with the CBP logo and later lending, trading, or selling it to a TSO. CBP might also have had a batch of these made up as a giveaway for job fairs, like convention swag. <redacted by moderator>.

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 25, 18 at 8:33 am Reason: Going OMNI / Not Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
WillCAD is offline  
Old Aug 25, 18, 7:36 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: one big Port of Entry...
Programs: CBP
Posts: 141
CBP does not issue us any knives. If they did, i'm sure it would be sub-$20 however...
Yoshi212 and Taker Park like this.
maninblack is offline  
Old Aug 25, 18, 9:46 am
  #10  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 93,365
Originally Posted by maninblack View Post
CBP does not issue us any knives. If they did, i'm sure it would be sub-$20 however...
Are you denying that CBP has available to it some knives/blade instruments for use during inspection of items being imported to and/or exported from the US?
GUWonder is offline  
Old Aug 25, 18, 10:22 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York, NY
Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Posts: 6,721
Back when I worked for a different 3 letter agency I was issued a sidearm but not a shotgun though there was on readily available if needed. Same thing in the lab I worked in. None of us were issued any kind of blade but they were part of the equipment we used. At a CBP office there will be knives for opening packages but as maninblack said it's not part of the standard issue equipment. This does look far more like something of a promotional good.

Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post


Are you denying that CBP has available to it some knives/blade instruments for use during inspection of items being imported to and/or exported from the US?
Yoshi212 is offline  
Old Aug 26, 18, 3:47 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: on the path to perdition
Programs: Delta, United
Posts: 4,235
If I found something like that in one of my bags I would send TSA an anonymous note voicing my displeasure in finding their officers who are handing my baggage being, previously in the possession of a weapon and that out of an abundance caution that it has been confiscated and will not be returned.
FlyingUnderTheRadar is offline  
Old Aug 26, 18, 5:55 pm
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 18,636
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar View Post
If I found something like that in one of my bags I would send TSA an anonymous note voicing my displeasure in finding their officers who are handing my baggage being, previously in the possession of a weapon and that out of an abundance caution that it has been confiscated and will not be returned.
I would be asking why prohibited weapons are in the secure area.
Yoshi212 likes this.
Boggie Dog is online now  
Old Aug 26, 18, 6:30 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ontario. Canada
Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Posts: 7,200
What are the knife laws in Argentina? I know that knife in the UK might cause the person possessing it some serious problems if it were discovered by a customs search.
Badenoch is offline  
Old Aug 27, 18, 12:37 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: LAX
Posts: 453
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post


Are you denying that CBP has available to it some knives/blade instruments for use during inspection of items being imported to and/or exported from the US?
Nope. They certainly don't issue knives to CBP Officers. CBP Agriculture personnel used to be issued Buck knives at their graduation.
Taker Park is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: