FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate-687/)
-   -   CBP Knife Found in a Checked Bag after Arriving in Buenos Aires from Houston (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/1926862-cbp-knife-found-checked-bag-after-arriving-buenos-aires-houston.html)

petaluma1 Aug 23, 2018 6:07 am

CBP Knife Found in a Checked Bag after Arriving in Buenos Aires from Houston

Not quite on topic but along the same lines of a FAM showing his weapon:

swingaling Aug 23, 2018 7:44 am

Originally Posted by petaluma1 (Post 30119304)
Not quite on topic but along the same lines of a FAM showing his weapon:

Wow. Is that a new twist on the Manila bullet scam? ;)

Boggie Dog Aug 23, 2018 8:19 am

Interesting that the knife blade is engraved with "U.S. Customs and Border Protection". So who inspected the bag and if it was Customs why is a TSA inspection note in the bag or did some TSA screener pocket some federal property they found? Most times a picture is worth a thousand words, in this case I would say a thousand questions.

N830MH Aug 23, 2018 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog (Post 30119861)
Interesting that the knife blade is engraved with "U.S. Customs and Border Protection". So who inspected the bag and if it was Customs why is a TSA inspection note in the bag or did some TSA screener pocket some federal property they found? Most times a picture is worth a thousand words, in this case I would say a thousand questions.

Actually, it was TSA. They screening the checked bags. They open her bags and look into it. She didn't have a drugs or anything like that. Nothing suspicious.

RandomNobody Aug 23, 2018 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by N830MH (Post 30121810)
Actually, it was TSA.

With a CBP knife?

mauve Aug 23, 2018 6:19 pm

Could be personal knife the TSA screener got from a CBP officer, or something like a DHS gift shop if that exists.

Or maybe the bag was screened by both TSA and CBP.

I'm sill a little skeptical that's a GI knife, though.

N830MH Aug 23, 2018 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by RandomNobody (Post 30122270)
With a CBP knife?

No, not CBP. It was TSA. They did not know what is in her bags.

Originally Posted by mauve (Post 30122517)
Could be personal knife the TSA screener got from a CBP officer, or something like a DHS gift shop if that exists.

Actually, it was TSA who searched her bags, not CBP. As for CBP, they do not screening the bags for outbound flight. Only for incoming flight.

WillCAD Aug 25, 2018 5:55 am

Originally Posted by mauve (Post 30122517)

Don't know what this indicates, but I found the make and model of the knife. It's a Smith and Wesson First Response Liner Lock. Retails for under $20 online.

I have a similar knife, a S&W CK5 Extreme Ops, but I find it underwhelming. It's better than most sub-$20 knives, but not in the same ballpark as my $60-$80 Benchmade or Kershaw or Buck folders. It's heavy and uncomfortable in the hand, I only bought it because it's unusual looking. I suspect that the First Response is much the same; it looks like it's made from the same materials, and it's in the same price range.

I can't imagine CBP issuing a sub-$20 knife to their officers, but I could see one of them perhaps getting his personal knife engraved with the CBP logo and later lending, trading, or selling it to a TSO. CBP might also have had a batch of these made up as a giveaway for job fairs, like convention swag. <redacted by moderator>.

maninblack Aug 25, 2018 7:36 am

CBP does not issue us any knives. If they did, i'm sure it would be sub-$20 however...

GUWonder Aug 25, 2018 9:46 am

Originally Posted by maninblack (Post 30128014)
CBP does not issue us any knives. If they did, i'm sure it would be sub-$20 however...

Are you denying that CBP has available to it some knives/blade instruments for use during inspection of items being imported to and/or exported from the US?

Yoshi212 Aug 25, 2018 10:22 am

Back when I worked for a different 3 letter agency I was issued a sidearm but not a shotgun though there was on readily available if needed. Same thing in the lab I worked in. None of us were issued any kind of blade but they were part of the equipment we used. At a CBP office there will be knives for opening packages but as maninblack said it's not part of the standard issue equipment. This does look far more like something of a promotional good.

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 30128338)

Are you denying that CBP has available to it some knives/blade instruments for use during inspection of items being imported to and/or exported from the US?

FlyingUnderTheRadar Aug 26, 2018 3:47 pm

If I found something like that in one of my bags I would send TSA an anonymous note voicing my displeasure in finding their officers who are handing my baggage being, previously in the possession of a weapon and that out of an abundance caution that it has been confiscated and will not be returned.

Boggie Dog Aug 26, 2018 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar (Post 30132508)
If I found something like that in one of my bags I would send TSA an anonymous note voicing my displeasure in finding their officers who are handing my baggage being, previously in the possession of a weapon and that out of an abundance caution that it has been confiscated and will not be returned.

I would be asking why prohibited weapons are in the secure area.

Badenoch Aug 26, 2018 6:30 pm

What are the knife laws in Argentina? I know that knife in the UK might cause the person possessing it some serious problems if it were discovered by a customs search.

Taker Park Aug 27, 2018 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 30128338)

Nope. They certainly don't issue knives to CBP Officers. CBP Agriculture personnel used to be issued Buck knives at their graduation.