Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Leaving airport when you have a long layover

Old Aug 20, 2018, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level

I was discussing this matter with a friend who insisted that she was not allowed to leave LGW on a long layover without claiming her checked luggage and then subsequently rechecking it. She said she was told it was a security concern - being separated from your checked luggage and all that. I have serious doubts about this being true.

I've left many airports when in transit with a long layover and never had an issue leaving the airport while my checked luggage remains in the bowels of the airport baggage transfer system somewhere. It is my understanding that this is allowed as long as you meet the immigration requirements.

Is this another British security oddity or is my friend just confused?
Old Aug 20, 2018, 4:09 pm

Programs: British Airways Gold
They’re just confused, there’s no such prohibition
Old Aug 20, 2018, 10:45 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
To whom did she ask about doing this, when told she couldn’t do this without claiming checked luggage tagged for transit?

Originally Posted by ajeleonard
They’re just confused, there’s no such prohibition
Indeed there is no such general prohibition, but sometimes border control will disallow entry of some transit passsengers and come up with an excuse to do so. One of the excuses used is having checked in luggage for the onward flight. But there is also a reason this is a sort of security issue: passengers without checked luggage claimed at EU airports of entry can more easily pretend to have come in from the EU+ and thereby substantially reduce the odds of being subjected to customs control as due.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
Originally Posted by GUWonder
To whom did she ask about doing this, when told she couldn’t do this without claiming checked luggage tagged for transit?

Indeed there is no such general prohibition, but sometimes border control will disallow entry of some transit passsengers and come up with an excuse to do so. One of the excuses used is having checked in luggage for the onward flight. But there is also a reason this is a sort of security issue: passengers without checked luggage claimed at EU airports of entry can more easily pretend to have come in from the EU+ and thereby substantially reduce the odds of being subjected to customs control as due.
Not sure who she asked (or was told by). She is a British citizen by birth and carries a British passport. Not sure where she was traveling from or to, only know she was transitting through LGW. She was quite insistent and I gave up arguing with her.

Last edited by STBCypriot; Oct 11, 2018 at 3:45 pm
Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:33 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by STBCypriot
Not sure who she asked (or was told by). She is a British citizen by birth and carries a British passport. Not sure where she was traveling from or to, only know she was transmitting through LGW. She was quite insistent and I gave up arguing with her.
On my ordinary US passports as a visitor to the UK, I have had a countless number of visits to central London while my bags are in transit at LHR, LGW, or LCY. As long as my connection wasn’t longer than 12 hours and overnight at that in LON. I’ve not been told that I have to claim my checked luggage when my bags are tagged for LON airport transit/transfers on international to international trips via LON whereby there was no crossing borders within the U.K. CTA too.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 6:08 am

I've done this in many airports, and specifically for the UK, at LHR. No issues.

Where it IS an issue is in India, at least in DEL where, once you recheck after customs and go up to the departure area, you are not allowed to leave the airport (at least not in 2011). They claimed I could not leave my luggage in the building and leave for security concerns. We had over eight hours there and had specifically planned to see a bit of the city before connecting to MAA, and after arguing for a while, they made us retrieve our luggage (how they found it is beyond me) and then let us out. We used the lockers in the metro station outside to store the bags, but we lost at least three hours...

Might be easier when transiting domestically before the international leg as there is no baggage retrieval.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 3:35 pm

Thread reminds me of the explanation for why Customs in Miami treats everyone (even US citizens) like immigrants during layovers when the incoming plane is from overseas.
They said they don't know who's actually going to get on the final plane.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 3:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by yandosan
Thread reminds me of the explanation for why Customs in Miami treats everyone (even US citizens) like immigrants during layovers when the incoming plane is from overseas.
What are you talking about? Can you explain exactly what occurred?
Old Aug 22, 2018, 4:13 pm

If you are flying into Miami from overseas and have even a short layover before an overseas destination they still make you wait in a line that is often enormous (2-3 hours)
and there is no crowd control, no courtesy. Just a long wait and rude, confrontational Customs agents. Even if you are a US citizen. Many people miss their flights.
I wrote about the experience on Flyertalk , called it "Miami customs freak show." The explanation I got for why people are treated like that is that "bad actors" might be pretending to only be in the USA a short time (on a layover) and then disappear into the city.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Correct. No US airports have an international transit lounge, so if you're doing an international to international connection, you have to go through US Immigration and Customs, then out of the security area and back to the terminal through TSA. That's why I and others tell everyone not to have a US connection for international to international flights. It can't be avoided sometimes, like going from somewhere in Latin America or the Caribbean to Europe, but I would go out of my way to avoid a US connection.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 4:35 pm

I recently came back to the US with a long stopever at LHR (6.5 hours). I had my bags through checked and I easily passed through immigration to go outside and have a couple of smokes.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 12:39 am

Originally Posted by catocony
Correct. No US airports have an international transit lounge, so if you're doing an international to international connection, you have to go through US Immigration and Customs, then out of the security area and back to the terminal through TSA. That's why I and others tell everyone not to have a US connection for international to international flights. It can't be avoided sometimes, like going from somewhere in Latin America or the Caribbean to Europe, but I would go out of my way to avoid a US connection.
Just wanted to add that you are at least in MIA able to through-check your bags t oyour final destination. You still need to clear immigration, customs and security, but at least you dont need to wait for your luggage in MIA....so a slightly better connection process there!
Old Aug 30, 2018, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by yandosan
I didn't quite get what you meant by saying that the CBP treats US citizens like immigrants. If you meant that they were simply being rude, that is normal — they treat everyone like that. Otherwise, US citizens are asked different set of questions and then are free to go wherever they want.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 9:31 am

"I didn't quite get what you meant by saying that the CBP treats US citizens like immigrants."

I just didn't expect to be waiting for hours in line (with lots of questions about job, arrest record, etc) when my origin was the Caribbean and my destination was Central America... and I'm an American citizen, with a very short US layover. Can't they just have people wait in some sterile area and avoid all that rigmarole?
Old Sep 5, 2018, 10:28 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
There are no sterile areas for international arrivals at any US airport. Everyone goes through Immigration and Customs, even for international to international connections. This is not a new thing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.