Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Customary for ICE to come to aircraft door to review documents and separate citizens?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Customary for ICE to come to aircraft door to review documents and separate citizens?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2018, 5:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Global Services, Lifetime Hilton Diamond

Has it come up before about ICE meeting airplanes at LAX (or any other airports) and separating US citizens and residents from non-citizens/residents? Announcement was made requiring all US citizens and residents to get off aircraft first to show passport and boarding pass at the door and have non-citizens remain on the plane (don't know what happened or what was said to non-citizens/residents since I already deplaned). Came in on 7-9-18 flight UA935 from LHR to LAX. Also, officers every 50 feet or so as we got off the aircraft and walked to immigration for regular screening. Was curious if this is now the policy when flying internationally since I had not seen this before on international flights to the US earlier in the year.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 5:38 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
ICE or CBP? It would be strange for ICE to handle this at a CBP station for an inbound international flight at first port of entry.

I've heard of things like this happening in the past (passport/ID checks immediately upon arrival), though I've never experienced personally. This does not seem like a new policy, but more likely to be a one-off in response to a specific threat or report.
Grog and Gino Troian like this.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Haven't encountered that in the US. Only in Europe.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by LHR Wannabee
Has it come up before about ICE meeting airplanes at LAX (or any other airports) and separating US citizens and residents from non-citizens/residents? Announcement was made requiring all US citizens and residents to get off aircraft first to show passport and boarding pass at the door and have non-citizens remain on the plane (don't know what happened or what was said to non-citizens/residents since I already deplaned). Came in on 7-9-18 flight UA935 from LHR to LAX. Also, officers every 50 feet or so as we got off the aircraft and walked to immigration for regular screening. Was curious if this is now the policy when flying internationally since I had not seen this before on international flights to the US earlier in the year.
  1. Likely this has nothing to do with UA, and should probably be in "Practical Security Issues" or "Checkpoints Debate"
  2. Was almost certainly CBP and not ICE. It would be a real issue if it was ICE as CBP is responsible for maintaining the ports of entry.
  3. Possible and likely that there was a specific threat (or similar) regarding your flight or that timeframe. I have flown in a number of times in the past couple of months without a peep (other than standard - which means sometimes blocking entry to the passport control area when there's overload). EWR, JFK, BOS, PHI
Old Jul 10, 2018, 6:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Global Services, Lifetime Hilton Diamond
ICE very clear in the announcement and wearing jackets with logo. Passport control was empty in this terminal when we were released to proceed to customary screening and then customs.

Last edited by LHR Wannabee; Jul 10, 2018 at 6:10 am
Old Jul 10, 2018, 6:03 am

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Nothing is "normal" with ICE operations right now.
LC757, gfunkdave, Kannai and 16 others like this.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 6:12 am

If it were ICE, then it was likely in response to a very specific issue, e.g. to identify/apprehend a particular individual traveling to the US using a foreign passport.
Often1 likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 6:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If it was ICE (HSI), it was likely a law enforcement investigation focusing on either a non-US passport holder or non-US passport holders on that flight or some number of flights. It could have been very narrowly focused on one passenger, but a bit of poor procedure to make an announcement such as "would Mr. X please ring his call button".
JBord, wrp96 and EWR764 like this.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Given that APIS gives complete visibility on all the passengers, this seems over-dramatic and rather heavy handed.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 7:28 am

Programs: UA GS
I had a similar thing happening many years ago on NZ AKL-LAX
Old Jul 10, 2018, 7:44 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Given that APIS gives complete visibility on all the passengers, this seems over-dramatic and rather heavy handed.
Seems like a bit showy/flexing muscle as well when they could have told the plane to tell everyone to remain seated, boarded and then gone to the seat of the POI.
Grog likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 7:46 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
I've had US CBP (not ICE) agents meeting planes, confirming whether you are US citizen/permanent resident, or otherwise. Showing a passport or green card would suffice, as they don't confirm the ID page. Often they have a list of person(s) of interest, but it's not UA specific.

Also, FWIW, US CBP is responsible for immigration laws and procedures at borders, including airports. ICE is responsible for enforcing immigration laws within the US border, not at the border.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Does it give complete visibility on whether a particular person is traveling on a stolen/forged passport? Aliases? Or if information about a passenger (perhaps traveling on said stolen/forged passport) came to light while the aircraft was enroute? I know that kind of thing happens, too.

I doubt this is a case of an expired visa or something of that more innocuous nature.

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Seems like a bit showy/flexing muscle as well when they could have told the plane to tell everyone to remain seated, boarded and then gone to the seat of the POI.
Seems that would be a little more aggressive? I'd much rather be allowed to deplane (even if ID check necessary) and on my way instead of having to wait while officials board and detain a subject in full view of 200+ other passengers. The agents might not have had PC to detain immediately, or needed to confirm identity, and possession of a forged document would be sufficient basis to detain. If the subject were of sufficient interest, I'd prefer that authorities intercede as soon as the aircraft arrives, rather than releasing the person into the passport control pool and risk evasion.

A lot of speculation, sure, but we really have no idea about what was going on.
JBord and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 8:17 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
CBP regularly do this daily (along with outbound checks) across the US e.g. meeting the flights at the gate.

ICE do not; so it was likely a targeted operation looking for one individual or a group.

ICE and CBP, while 'cousins' have slightly different functions.
Dublin_rfk, GUWonder and tbuccelli like this.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 8:25 am

Could be a well known cyber criminal. And for showing up in numbers, well they all need to be paid so might as well make them do something and get them out on the field and get them some exercise

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.