Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA screeners win immunity from abuse claims: US Appeals Court [reversed 8/30/19]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA screeners win immunity from abuse claims: US Appeals Court [reversed 8/30/19]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2018, 11:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by saizai
Note that in granting rehearing en banc, the court has also vacated the panel opinion. (That means that the vacated opinion is treated as if it doesn't exist, as far as courts are concerned. It's not precedent or anything.)
Too bad. I liked the part of the opinion where they called TSA clerks the equivalent of a meat inspector.
Spiff and petaluma1 like this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by halls120
Too bad. I liked the part of the opinion where they called TSA clerks the equivalent of a meat inspector.
I point that out at every opportunity I get.
Spiff likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 8:16 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
At the same time we were all deemed walking sticks of meat, so the status quo is retained. TSA clerks are just prodding sides of beef all day, and we're the sides of beef.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 11:00 am

1. What I talked about above is exclusively civil immunity against claims made by the victim. E.g. money damages, equitable relief, etc. that would compensate the victim.

2. I don't know criminal law very well. However:

* TSA are not immune from criminal charges (fines & imprisonment) for acts committed on the job.

Example: https://plus.google.com/+saizai/posts/29tKuV4AV85 (TSO successfully prosecuted for sexual assault committed under color of his job).

However, prosecution is very unlikely unless the Federal government allows it. Otherwise, the feds themselves won't prosecute, and state prosecution would face problems with federalism.

I won't say it's impossible, but I've never heard of a case where a state successfully brought state charges against a Federal agent that the feds said was acting properly.

* TSA agents are not immune from employment sanctions (e.g. firing), even if it's not criminal.

Actually, TSA (uniquely, TTBOMK, outside of military) have less protection against adverse employment actions than any other Federal employees (e.g. for anti-discrimination), due to a stupid reading of a footnote in the TSA Act. They still have MSPB protections, at least in part. (See e.g. MacLean v. DHS.)

This is especially true of TSO & LTSO; STSO+ have (unfairly) different standards.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1. What I talked about above is exclusively civil immunity against claims made by the victim. E.g. money damages, equitable relief, etc. that would compensate the victim.

* TSA are not immune from criminal charges (fines & imprisonment) for acts committed on the job.

Example: https://plus.google.com/+saizai/posts/29tKuV4AV85 (TSO successfully prosecuted for sexual assault committed under color of his job).

However, prosecution is very unlikely unless the Federal government allows it. Otherwise, the feds themselves won't prosecute, and state prosecution would face problems with federalism.

I won't say it's impossible, but I've never heard of a case where a state successfully brought state charges against a Federal agent that the feds said was acting properly.

* TSA agents are not immune from employment sanctions (e.g. firing), even if it's not criminal.

Actually, TSA (uniquely, TTBOMK, outside of military) have less protection against adverse employment actions than any other Federal employees (e.g. for anti-discrimination), due to a stupid reading of a footnote in the TSA Act. They still have MSPB protections, at least in part. (See e.g. MacLean v. DHS.)

This is especially true of TSO & LTSO; STSO+ have (unfairly) different standards.
If I understand what you are telling us it is possibly to file and have charges heard against a TSA screener if they exceed their authority and go outside of SOP but not for civil actions.

The question I have had and still have, how can a person know that the screener exceeded authority. I may believe the screener was out of line but I have nothing to prove that with and getting that information is apparently near impossible.

Is the situation different when the screeners are contract employees?
petaluma1 likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 12:04 pm

The example you present above clearly did not take place in the "line of duty" and was done under color of authority, so it is actionable and the screener was not immune from prosecution. It has nothing to do with inappropriate and aggressive screening at checkpoints.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by petaluma1
The example you present above clearly did not take place in the "line of duty" and was done under color of authority, so it is actionable and the screener was not immune from prosecution. It has nothing to do with inappropriate and aggressive screening at checkpoints.
The question was whether TSOs have criminal immunity if they have civil immunity. They do not.

I find it difficult to imagine that a prosecutor would ever press criminal charges against a government employee for doing what their agency ordered them to do.

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
If I understand what you are telling us it is possibly to file and have charges heard against a TSA screener if they exceed their authority and go outside of SOP but not for civil actions.
You can't file criminal charges. Only prosecutors can do that. You can merely request it.

Violating SOP, per se, is not a crime. If it violates SOP and is also battery, that's another matter

​​
The question I have had and still have, how can a person know that the screener exceeded authority. I may believe the screener was out of line but I have nothing to prove that with and getting that information is apparently near impossible.
You can't, short of suing and finding out whether the government gives a Westfall certification.

That, IMO, is itself a violation {by the agency, not the screener) of our due process &c rights.

I'm currently litigating that exact issue in Sai v. Pekoske, No. 15-2356 (1st Cir ). I don't know of anyone else who has ever tried to do so.

Is the situation different when the screeners are contract employees?
Yes, in very complicated ways, since they're a mixture of Federal (TSA), city/state (airport authority), & private (contractor).

​​​​​​​I don't know of any case law resolving that complexity even for civil cases. I've not heard of any criminal cases against a TSA SPP contractor employee.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 2:19 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by mauve
Thanks, part of it was that I thought cbn42 wrote that a mailman would be immune for assaulting a civilian. But I'm thinking I misread his intention there. Now I'm thinking "if your mailman assaults you, you need to work it out with the post office," just means you can't sue the government, not that he's necessarily only subject to administrative charges and not criminal charges?
Yes, I was referring to civil matters. If you have been wronged by the government or its agent (for example, assaulted by a mailman) your only recourse is to file a claim with the agency. You can't take the matter to court unless the government has waived sovereign immunity. But none of this has anything to do with criminal charges, which are not determined by the victim. The mailman could still be prosecuted for a crime if the prosecutor decides to do so.

As saizai said, the odds of an employee being prosecuted for following orders are very low.

Last edited by cbn42; Oct 26, 2018 at 2:59 pm
Old Feb 26, 2019, 6:24 am

TSA losing immunity?

https://www.law360.com/delaware/arti...KwUT0PKulYgrNM

This is from the Pellegrino case in which an en banc hearing was held last week to consider immunity for TSA screeners.

A Third Circuit judge suggested Wednesday that a ruling allowing the Transportation Security Administration to face liability for alleged abusive treatment of passengers by airport security screeners could open other government...
I won't register to read the whole article so if anybody else has access, maybe you could read the article and tell us what happened at the hearing on Feburary 20th.

For those who might want to listen to arguments, the audio may be found here:

https://player.fm/series/oral-argume...administration
Old Feb 26, 2019, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From the snippet posted it seems the court is more concerned with limiting government liability than protecting citizens rights. I would think protecting the rights of citizens would be job #1 for the courts but it appears I'm living in a different country these days.

I see no reason that TSA screeners should have the protections of immunity if a screener commits a crime while screening a passenger. Case in point; before conducting a Pat Down screeners deliver to the passenger a detailed description of how the pat down will be conducted. Yet they never say genital contact will be made. If the screener goes on to make genital contact without prior advisement I would consider that to be an assault and not part of the Pat Down. TSA has deflected all such claims thus far by settling complaints. I would like to see a case go before a jury.
Spiff, chollie and petaluma1 like this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 8:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is a civil, not a criminal matter. If a TSA Officer commits a crime, he has no greater or lesser criminal liability than any other government employee. Nothing in this Third Circuit case changes that.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 8:43 am

3rd Cir. rules 9-4 that TSA are liable as "investigative officers" under FTCA 2680(h)

Just released.

This is a circuit split issue, almost certain to get a cert petition filed & granted.

Background: CA3 had previously ruled (in Arabic flashcards case) that TSA officers aren't liable under Bivens. In Pellegrino's case, the panel had ruled they weren't liable under FTCA either, which meant that there was no damages liability for TSA whatsoever if they violate someone's rights under the Constitution or common law.

The en banc court in Pellegrino has (mostly) reversed the panel decision, so there's at least FTCA liability. (That's against the United States itself, not the individual screeners.)

This decision: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1jK..._flxRL3CAMzlgK
Previous 2-1 panel decision: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xa...3iYW-BaSyje6i9
Folder of everything in the case: https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/f...Hl1TXpwdXR2SmM

Posted some more context on Twitter [thread]:

Last edited by saizai; Aug 30, 2019 at 8:55 am
Old Sep 2, 2019, 6:51 am

I read some of the decision and enjoyed the discussion about whether screeners are actually "officers"

This was also interesting:

Next, the risk of abuse is greater for TSO screenings than for most other administrative searches. Because TSA searches affect the public directly, the potential for widespread harm is elevated. This potential for abuse in borne out by Pellegrino’s own experience.
as was this:

TSO screenings are not consensual
Here's a good explanation of the Court's decision:

https://papersplease.org/wp/2019/08/...or-misconduct/
Spiff, 84fiero and saizai like this.

Last edited by petaluma1; Sep 3, 2019 at 11:15 am
Old Sep 3, 2019, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by petaluma1
For those who might want to listen to arguments, the audio may be found here:

https://player.fm/series/oral-argume...administration
I recommend the video, particularly the argument by the government's lawyer, particularly at around the 50 minute mark.

http://usc3rcpd.edgesuite.net/mm/flv...h264_2328K.mp4
It's not every day you get to see a bunch of judges outright laugh at a government lawyer's legal claims. Actually, it's pretty damn rare, and I've watched a lot of oral arguments. I can't offhand recall one where a lawyer was openly mocked by the judges and nevertheless ended up winning, but it does happen.

(Even when I worked for an appellate judge, and got to find out the outcome a few hours after oral argument and months before it was public - with commentary on who voted how and why, and bets beforehand on what the vote was - I can't say that I guessed correctly more than about 2/3 - 3/4 of the time, at least for the votes of judges other than for the one I worked for. Some judges can be remarkably hard to read, and the fact that they smile and nod at one lawyer, and direct pretty skeptical questions at the other, does not mean that they have any intention of voting in favor of the first one.

If anything, a lack of skeptical. questions for one side is a really bad sign that side.)
Spiff likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 6:32 am

From FFTUSA:

The sound ruling by the Third Circuit in Pellegrino v. TSA, where, after thirteen years, the courts have agreed that TSA agents can be held accountable for egregious lies leading to a false arrest, will stand for now. “With the extended Dec. 30 deadline now passed, the Third Circuit’s precedent stands, and the lawsuit, which is over a security search gone awry at the Philadelphia International Airport, is set to proceed.” DOJ drops chance to have case reviewed by SCOTUS
Spiff likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.