Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Customary for ICE to come to aircraft door to review documents and separate citizens?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Customary for ICE to come to aircraft door to review documents and separate citizens?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2018, 12:38 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Meanwhile at 8:10pm today at SFO there was no CBP taking forms after collecting bags. The immigration officer at the booth took my GE ticket and I was confused at first thinking it would cause a hassle to walk out once I got my bags.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 1:16 am

Well, on a separate note I've had this happen when landing in HKG from Thailand the a couple times in the last few years. They would pull aside any <40's non-Chinese woman for questioning. Pretty clear what they were looking for.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by nomad420
Interesting it was LAX, in general the state of CA does not cooperate with ICE but being an airport I guess this is under Feds control. I suspect it would have made the local news here at SFO.
It isn't up to any local/state authority what happens until passengers are cleared by CBP into the arrivals area. Would likely have made just as much news in SFO as in LAX (i.e. virtually none outside of a thread on FT). This isn't new, and it didn't start in Jan 2017.

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Meanwhile at 8:10pm today at SFO there was no CBP taking forms after collecting bags. The immigration officer at the booth took my GE ticket and I was confused at first thinking it would cause a hassle to walk out once I got my bags.
Not so new.

Airports with Unified Immigration/Customs Screening

Last edited by joshwex90; Jul 11, 2018 at 1:52 am
Old Jul 11, 2018, 1:04 pm

Programs: TSA TSO
Interesting it was LAX, in general the state of CA does not cooperate with ICE but being an airport I guess this is under Feds control. I suspect it would have made the local news here at SFO
When you arrive off an international flight, you've entered the CBP Federal Inspection Station because it's an international port of entry. Therefore, until you leave the FIS into the public area, federal law trumps all.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by LoganTSO
When you arrive off an international flight, you've entered the CBP Federal Inspection Station because it's an international port of entry. Therefore, until you leave the FIS into the public area, federal law trumps all.
It wasn't CBP according to the OP it was ICE but the same applies as yes indeed it is under Federal jurisdiction. Although I like to stay away from politics here I did like your "federal law Trumps all".... LOL
Old Jul 12, 2018, 4:39 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
It wasn't CBP according to the OP it was ICE but the same applies as yes indeed it is under Federal jurisdiction. Although I like to stay away from politics here I did like your "federal law Trumps all".... LOL
It’s most commonly CBP; but sometimes it can also be ICE or even just ICE.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 8:18 am

Programs: CBP
As a CBPO, I have both ordered the staff to have their passengers remained seated so I could board the plane, for one specific person, as well as stood on the jet bridge/gate and screened passports. The screening is done for 1 specific person, or certain types of people.

As for allowing USCs to exit with proof of passport, it happens.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 9:18 am

Programs: TSA TSO
Heh, I wasn't even making a Trump reference, it was pretty much a subconscious thing.
nomad420 likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Related to this incident? https://thepointsguy.com/news/stowaway-london-to-lax/
Old Jul 13, 2018, 3:48 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
Seems to be the one.

Originally Posted by ThePointsGuy.com
<snip>

On Sunday, July 1, an unidentified male traveler from Romania passed through a security checkpoint at London Heathrow Airport (LHR) and successfully boarded United Flight 935 to Los Angeles (LAX), reportedly using a duplicate boarding pass previously issued to another passenger who also still managed to travel on the same flight.

<snip>
“On July 1, 2018, a Romanian citizen arrived into Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) from London, England. While conducting a primary inspection of the passenger to determine his admissibility, the US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officer noted the subject was not on the flight passenger manifest and was not in possession of a valid non-immigrant visa. Subsequent interviews of the subject concluded that he was not authorized to travel to the United States. The subject was taken into custody by FBI for federal prosecution.”
The flight arrived close to its scheduled time, but some travelers were likely delayed, as CBP reportedly met the plane at the gate and cleared passengers one-by-one. First, US citizens were instructed to deplane, followed by US residents and finally all of the remaining passengers. While the CBP spokesperson didn’t confirm this arrival procedure, it reflects the experience of an individual booked on the flight.

<snip>
Old Jul 13, 2018, 4:20 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
If it were as stated by a TPG reader — and who here really knows if that was entirely an accurate representation of what has happened — then it would increase the chances of ICE being involved at LAX as gate reception for the next day’s LHR-LAX flight reception.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 8:22 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
I've had this happen with CBP a few times. Usually off flights coming from places with high levels of cash transportation on person or looking to attack asylum seekers. I've actually had it happen more in Canada with CBSA. I doubt it was ICE. They often have you show just the front of your passport and let you go if you are a US citizen.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 10:34 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note: Topic Drift

Folks,

This thread is about CBP or ICE officers meeting an arriving international flight at the gate, separating US citizens lawful permanent residents from the remaining passengers and clearing them one-by-one.

If you wish to discuss whether similar operations can or do take place with arriving domestic flights or at security checkpoints at airports located within the 100 miles border zone, please do so in the following thread:
Posts have been moved.

Thank you for understanding,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Jul 19, 2018, 7:16 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by N1120A
I Usually off flights coming from places with high levels of cash transportation on person or looking to attack asylum seekers.
Attack asylum seekers? How does boarding a plane facilitate an attack on asylum seekers?
Old Jul 19, 2018, 1:38 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Separating US from non-US leads to some new issues: many non-US can get GE (and pay $100) and should expect some form of expedited entry--the scenario described should make such a foreign national feel "ripped off".
[Initially GE pps had a CBP sticker placed on the back cover of the pp; now (without using a computer), I doubt CBP could tell who is a GE?]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.