FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate-687/)
-   -   New Watch List of Travelers to protect TSA screeners (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/1909775-new-watch-list-travelers-protect-tsa-screeners.html)

petaluma1 May 17, 2018 6:12 am

New Watch List of Travelers to protect TSA screeners

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/17/u...creeners-.html

The Transportation Security Administration has created a new secret watch list to monitor people who may be targeted as potential threats at airport checkpoints simply because they have swatted away security screeners’ hands or otherwise appeared unruly.

saizai May 17, 2018 8:03 am

… orly. /adds to todo list

saizai May 17, 2018 8:07 am

Per the article, it's related to or may be discussed at today's hearing.

https://homeland.house.gov/hearing/a...rt-wait-times/

Boggie Dog May 17, 2018 8:52 am

I find it very troubling that TSA can create a list of people without clear definition of reasons or oversight. Spying on citizens is just flat out wrong unless a law enforcement action is underway, and even then, that should require a warrant.

A committee push to expand Pre Check to 25 million and to limit non-Pre flyers from the Pre experience.

knotyeagle May 17, 2018 8:53 am

Originally Posted by petaluma1 (Post 29763876)

Hmm, i wonder if Master Behavior Detection Screener Colleen Kiernan at Manchester (MHT) nominated me from our two hour encounter on 7 July 2015?

I look forward to it. Alas in the past 5 years all the screeners back down very quickly when i started asking about the relevance to 49 CFR 1540. And why are they so camera-shy and audio-shy?

i give no quarter to those who bring harm to this country, even more so to those in guise of government service.

yandosan May 17, 2018 8:53 am

I support this.After all most terrorists are big rabble-rousers, drama queens and activists in the airports and in other public places

saizai May 17, 2018 9:04 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog (Post 29764425)
I find it very troubling that TSA can create a list of people without clear definition of reasons or oversight. Spying on citizens is just flat out wrong unless a law enforcement action is underway, and even then, that should require a warrant.

According to the testimony of TSA at the hearing above, just a few minutes ago, the list is not used for additional search, but only to warn FSDs in advance of someone they should pay extra special attention to. He also said that there are currently around 50 people on the list.

He also claimed, with some unclear caveat about SSI, that they would submit the directive about this to the committee.

saizai May 17, 2018 9:08 am

Originally Posted by knotyeagle (Post 29764426)
Hmm, i wonder if Master Behavior Detection Screener Colleen Kiernan at Manchester (MHT) nominated me from our two hour encounter on 7 July 2015?

Unlikely, if there are only 50 people on the list. There are a ton more BDO encounters than that.

Alas in the past 5 years all the screeners back down very quickly when i started asking about the relevance to 49 CFR 1540.
Huh? What's your referent for "the relevance [of ????] to 49 CFR 1540"? (1540 is the general TSA regs about screening.)

Boggie Dog May 17, 2018 9:14 am

Originally Posted by saizai (Post 29764480)
According to the testimony of TSA at the hearing above, just a few minutes ago, the list is not used for additional search, but only to warn FSDs in advance of someone they should pay extra special attention to. He also said that there are currently around 50 people on the list.

He also claimed, with some unclear caveat about SSI, that they would submit the directive about this to the committee.

Right, TSA won't screen these people any different. If anyone believes that I have some land a couple of hundred miles east of Norfolk for sale.

The committee hearing you linked to is doing a lot of TSA back patting. Nothing substantive will come from this hearing, nor will passenger concerns be addressed, unless they get different members on the panel.

knotyeagle May 17, 2018 9:15 am

Originally Posted by saizai (Post 29764496)
Unlikely, if there are only 50 people on the list. There are a ton more BDO encounters than that.

Huh? What's your referent for "the relevance [of ????] to 49 CFR 1540"? (1540 is the general TSA regs about screening.)

”Where are you flying to today?”

”How long have you worked for Signature Airlines?”

”Which classroom number did you use for your class at Signature?”

”What are initial and recurrent courses?”

”Who owns Signature Airlines?”

”Who owns Boeing?”

”How long have you worked for Boeing?”

”Who is your supervisor at Boeing?”

”Let me see your training records at Signature?”

”Code of Federal Regulations is classified information and you can go to federal prison for knowing them”

”Do you work for the TSA? Why do you know so many acronyms?”

”Are you a designated examiner?”

”How do you know what a TSOC is?”

Shall I continue?

saizai May 17, 2018 9:33 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog (Post 29764520)
Right, TSA won't screen these people any different. If anyone believes that I have some land a couple of hundred miles east of Norfolk for sale.

I don't recall whether they swore in the witnesses, but if they did, and TSA does do different screening, that's perjury and contempt of congress, as well as estoppel.

So if he was lying, it'd be a nice tool to help force him to have been correct. :)

Originally Posted by knotyeagle (Post 29764527)
”Which classroom number did you use for your class at Signature?”

O.o? Why does that come up at all?

”Let me see your training records at Signature?”
Um. Do people carry that around with them? O.o

”Code of Federal Regulations is classified information and you can go to federal prison for knowing them”
ORLY. Could you please, please get this on video? That sure sounds to me like a threat under color of federal law.

Shall I continue?
Yes please. /popcorn

stillontheroad May 17, 2018 9:49 am

Originally Posted by knotyeagle (Post 29764527)

”Where are you flying to today?” ”How long have you worked for Signature Airlines?” ”Which classroom number did you use for your class at Signature?”
”What are initial and recurrent courses?”........

( NOTE: I shortened the quote above to save space)

I assume you mean that the TSA are asking questions that are outside the CFR? And that they do not have the authority to be asking or expecting an answer?

Correct

knotyeagle May 17, 2018 9:52 am

Originally Posted by saizai (Post 29764596)
I don't recall whether they swore in the witnesses, but if they did, and TSA does do different screening, that's perjury and contempt of congress, as well as estoppel.

So if he was lying, it'd be a nice tool to help force him to have been correct. :)

O.o? Why does that come up at all?

Um. Do people carry that around with them? O.o

ORLY. Could you please, please get this on video? That sure sounds to me like a threat under color of federal law.

Yes please. /popcorn

Send me an email address and I'll forward it to you, 2 hour audio file and about 547 mb.

GUWonder May 17, 2018 1:04 pm

CFR is classified information? :D Classified so billions of people can legally read it. ;)

knotyeagle May 17, 2018 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 29765422)
CFR is classified information? :D Classified so billions of people can legally read it. ;)

I told her “i did not know that” a lot. It was the best 2 hours that i’ve spent with any behavior detection screener, even a master one that can make up to $70k/year of borrowed taxpayer money.

Oh and I almost forgot, master behavior detection screener Colleen Kiernan was apparently a bit too creative in the incident report as it was never forwarded to an administrative law judge.

i was looking forward to her testimony at it, especially with audio of her lying.