Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

What to do after aggressive "pat down" by TSA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to do after aggressive "pat down" by TSA

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2018, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by saizai
Yes.

Here it is - TSA's standard MOU re CCTV. See p. 5-6.

They've never denied that it is in fact required of all airports.
Predates wide spread use of WBI. Likely an updated version that includes WBI.
Old May 6, 2018, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Predates wide spread use of WBI. Likely an updated version that includes WBI.
Possible, but if so, TSA committed perjury in their Vaughn index submitted to the U.S. Dist. Ct. D.C.

They (unlawfully) didn't provide any date for the document, but the latest date mentioned in it is 2009.
Old May 6, 2018, 11:57 am
Original Poster

That's not a list of items found while patting people down; it's a list of items found at checkpoints and "voluntarily abandoned" (snort), similar to what is seen on the TSA Blog.

This is the list I want to see: “Pat-downs result in the discovery of knives and other dangerous items carried on a passenger’s person on a daily basis,” spokesman Mike England said.

Last edited by petaluma1; May 6, 2018 at 12:08 pm
Old May 6, 2018, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Possible, but if so, TSA committed perjury in their Vaughn index submitted to the U.S. Dist. Ct. D.C.

They (unlawfully) didn't provide any date for the document, but the latest date mentioned in it is 2009.
I would still ask about video of WBI lanes.
Old May 6, 2018, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by petaluma1
This is the list I want to see: “Pat-downs result in the discovery of knives and other dangerous items carried on a passenger’s person on a daily basis,” spokesman Mike England said.
How about this? 2011 SPOT referral report validation study final report, Appendix F (supporting data) p. 23-24 (Bates 1566-1567), 29-30 (Bates 1572-1573). Has some data on what they find.

ISTR that they post a yearly aggregate of stuff found on the TSA blog, but don't have it to hand.

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I would still ask about video of WBI lanes.
Agreed that it should be requested. Just don't have evidence that it's required, or named that. Remember to treat this like an evil genie wish.

Last edited by TWA884; May 6, 2018 at 1:10 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function
Old May 26, 2018, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TSA continues to generate questions about idiotic TSA policies. Even The Weekly Standard is calling out TSA for it's focused pat downs after flagging by Whole Body Imager screening.

The TSA Will Get Friendly With Your Thigh Even If It Did Nothing Wrong

“Any potential threat is indicated by a yellow box that shows up roughly where the software detected it—on the right ankle, for example, or the left elbow.” For me, it was my back.
It follows that isolating such an area would allow travelers to forgo the unpleasant experience of being felt up indiscriminately—or, as John wrote, “right over the zipper area of one's Gap Outlet comfort-stretch khakis.” If the imaging produces a yellow box only over the back, and an agent explains it as such, then clearly the back is the place of concern.
TSA inspector explained to me how he was going to run his hands inside my waistband (which, the imaging resulting in what it did, is arguably passable)—but also run them up and down my legs, in a manner of unwelcome and quite awful foreplay.
More evidence that TSA technology is not reliable and effective or perhaps another sign that TSA has no idea of how to do things.
Old May 27, 2018, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How about this? 2011 SPOT referral report validation study final report, Appendix F (supporting data) p. 23-24 (Bates 1566-1567), 29-30 (Bates 1572-1573). Has some data on what they find.
I notice they included "narcotics" and "undisclosed cash" in the list of "prohibited items."
Old May 27, 2018, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
I notice they included "narcotics" and "undisclosed cash" in the list of "prohibited items."
Indeed. Also re cash, note that Bierfeldt v. Napolitano settled in November 2009. So, there's that.
Old May 27, 2018, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Indeed. Also re cash, note that Bierfeldt v. Napolitano settled in November 2009. So, there's that.
Zero referrals in 2010 for "undeclared" cash.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.