Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why pay for TSA pre?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2018, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WillCAD
Agreed, but I'd much rather see thousands of bomb-sniffing dogs in the airports than the WBI with its many grope-inducing false positives. I don't know how they'd compare in cost, but I suspect that the cost of PoochCheck would be far lower than the current WBI system, and far less abusive of travelers' rights.

WTMD and random ETD, unresolved alarm WBI, unresolved alarm Patdown.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 12:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Back to the thread topic:

Some of us still aren't going to pay for Pre when we regularly fly in and out of airports/terminals where Pre is never offered (many smaller airports) or where Pre isn't reliably offered - variable hours or hours that don't coincide with flight times.

If your home airport does not offer Pre, then the value of your Pre membership has just been halved.

The product has to be consistent and reliable for more people for it to reach the enrollment TSA wants.
petaluma1 likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
WTMD and random ETD, unresolved alarm WBI, unresolved alarm Patdown.
However, that presupposes that the WBI doesn't alarm on sweat, fat, pleats, lint, etc.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA-EXP
Originally Posted by chollie

Some of us still aren't going to pay for Pre when we regularly fly in and out of airports/terminals where Pre is never offered (many smaller airports) or where Pre isn't reliably offered - variable hours or hours that don't coincide with flight times.

If your home airport does not offer Pre, then the value of your Pre membership has just been halved.

The product has to be consistent and reliable for more people for it to reach the enrollment TSA wants.
My home airport is a small regional that does not have Pre-check. However, I get an "expidited card" that allows me to go through the crew metal detector with my shoes / belt on instead of the microwave scanner. To me, it is worth it!
Old Mar 25, 2018, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petaluma1
However, that presupposes that the WBI doesn't alarm on sweat, fat, pleats, lint, etc.
At least my screening escalation matrix doesn't put TSA's flawed Whole Body Imager as the first hurdle.

Until TSA develops the maturity to understand that alarms on non-threat items are false alarms the public will see little improvement in screening methods. The same comment can be applied equally to the ETD machines. I don't really expect front line screeners to understand these things but would expect senior TSA staffers to grasp this concept. But in my opinion TSA has been a major disappointment on every level so TSA's failures are no surprise.
Spiff likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 8:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I now need to complete the entry card as my GC will not be read half the time (no matter how many times I try), and do not get me started on the six months where the GC had the sticker since it takes that long for the replacement card. Wish I had the same positive experiences all the time like you apparently experience.
Not to take this thread off-topic, but if you are saying the GE machines are not regularly reading your GC (Green Card), there's a pretty simple fix: just choose "unable to read document" button and you can manually enter your PR number ... then machine recognizes you and takes your fingerprints and off you go ... maybe takes an extra 30 seconds total.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 10:00 am
cmx

Programs: DL Diamond 1MM, AS MVP, SW ALP and CP, b6 Mosaic, UA Silver, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Gold

I flew out of SAN about 50 times last year, and with the exception of the 1, 1a, 2 Southwest gates, have always received full pre-check. I think OP had a weird one-off.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I now need to complete the entry card as my GC will not be read half the time (no matter how many times I try), and do not get me started on the six months where the GC had the sticker since it takes that long for the replacement card. Wish I had the same positive experiences all the time like you apparently experience.
That's extremely weird since the back of the GC is just plain text. Mine scans in like a few seconds but i do tend to put the card right in the middle of the scanner rather than all the way to the back/front.

Tough luck, i've heard replacing the card is a super painful process and expensive to boot.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cmx
I flew out of SAN about 50 times last year, and with the exception of the 1, 1a, 2 Southwest gates, have always received full pre-check. I think OP had a weird one-off.
The use of canines by TSA is not new. Dog sniffs for explosives, WTMD looks for metallics. The big problem is the number of dogs required for full time screening. I don't think the pipeline would ever meet TSA's needs.
petaluma1 likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 8:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Yesterday I flew out of SEA.

Regular TSA lane, Clear lane and Pre lane.

Clear pax were taken to the podium and 'bumped' ahead of the 'Pre' pax - and everyone I saw from where I was in the regular lane was sent through the Pre xray/WMD.

I thought Clear and Pre were two separate programs and Clear did not guarantee the Pre experience. From what I saw, unlike the old elite line set-up in the south end of the terminal, there's no obvious way to funnel a non-Pre Clear person through the xray/WMD without ducking under barriers.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 9:08 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat

Clear pax were taken to the podium and 'bumped' ahead of the 'Pre' pax - and everyone I saw from where I was in the regular lane was sent through the Pre xray/WMD.

I thought Clear and Pre were two separate programs and Clear did not guarantee the Pre experience. From what I saw, unlike the old elite line set-up in the south end of the terminal, there's no obvious way to funnel a non-Pre Clear person through the xray/WMD without ducking under barriers.
Depends on the airport I guess. Some have Clear converge into the Pre line, others have the Clear line jumping only normal TSA queue and using the non-Pre scanners. Either way, having Pre is going to offer the most consistent experience.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nothing guarantees the Pre experience.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 6:34 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold

I suspect that almost all CLEAR participants are also NEXUS, Global Entry, or TSA Pre members since those are all cheaper (except for DL DMs) and useful at more airports than CLEAR.

IME the CLEAR boarding pass scanners check for the Pre signature in the bar code, and the agent will say "verified Pre" (possibly having me also show the Pre indicator) to the TSA doc checkers; CLEAR definitely doesn't guarantee Pre access.

At SEA checkpoint 2 (the one I usually use), I'm pretty sure there's a feed around to the non-Pre side from the CLEAR lane. The CLEAR staff will open the barriers if needed to get to either the Pre or non-Pre checkpoints.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 9:09 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Action

Several posts about the TSA use of dogs for screening passengers and which did not discuss the reasons for or against paying for TSA PreCheck were moved to the following thread.
TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Apr 13, 2018, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Same issue again at SAN today. Dogs in use so everyone had TSA-pre AND lines were long for every single line and no one knew how to go through. No dedicated line for true TSA-pre customers, i.e. those of us who have paid for it, and no line for First class/Priority. And my GE did not work last week and I manually input the GC number and it did not take. Yep, pretty certain that I will not be paying for this farce of a system again. I do have the UK Registered Traveler program and I get straight through immigration in the UK - easy process, cheaper than the US GE system and it works for this non-UK citizen.

So when they wonder why less people choose GE/TSA-pre they will only have themselves to blame. Make it free to everyone and have an INS entry system that does not work - why would I pay for this again??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.