Wiki Posts
Search

Constitution-Free Zone Alive & Well!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2018, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by petaluma1
Here's the reason why Greyhound and Amtrak and others comply in these sweeps:

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...s-amtrak-train

yeah. I always forget that. It's the "reasonable" clause that gets me. Suspending the constitution for 100 miles impacting most of the people in the US is not what I think of as reasonable. I guess "reasonable" is the federal code word for "we want it and we think we can get away with it".
muji, petaluma1 and altabello like this.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nachtnebel
yeah. I always forget that. It's the "reasonable" clause that gets me. Suspending the constitution for 100 miles impacting most of the people in the US is not what I think of as reasonable. I guess "reasonable" is the federal code word for "we want it and we think we can get away with it".
Who created the 100 mile exclusion zone?
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Who created the 100 mile exclusion zone?
According to Petaluma's post above the actual distance appears to be set only by a DOJ rule. The Act passed by Congress authorizes such searches for a "reasonable" distance from the border but doesn't specify a limit, if Petaluma is right. So the same folks that steal your money without proof of crime also get to steal what's left of your liberties by establishing such ridiculous border zones.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nachtnebel
According to Petaluma's post above the actual distance appears to be set only by a DOJ rule. The Act passed by Congress authorizes such searches for a "reasonable" distance from the border but doesn't specify a limit, if Petaluma is right. So the same folks that steal your money without proof of crime also get to steal what's left of your liberties by establishing such ridiculous border zones.
THE CONSTITUTION IN THE 100-MILE BORDER ZONE

Outdated Legal Authority and Lack of Oversight

• The regulations establishing the 100-mile border zone were adopted by the U.S. Department of Justice in 1953—without any public comments or debate. At the time, there were fewer than 1,100 Border Patrol agents nationwide; today, there are over 21,000.
muji and nachtnebel like this.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 9:41 pm
Suspended

[Moderator's note: This post and the responses were relocated from a thread discussing ICE/CBP meeting an arriving international flight at the gate, separating US citizens lawful permanent residents from the remaining passengers and clearing them one-by-one. US domestic flights are subject to different rules, which are the topic of this thread.]

So this so far has only happened with international flights, correct? It would be troubling if this happened on a domestic route.

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 16, 2018 at 10:45 am Reason: Add moderator's note after posts were relocated to the relevant thread
Old Jul 15, 2018, 6:50 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by greggarious
So this so far has only happened with international flights, correct? It would be troubling if this happened on a domestic route.
CBP/ICE receptions have happened for some domestic flights. But then they generally haven’t expected passports from most who have taken such flights.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder

CBP/ICE receptions have happened for some domestic flights. But then they generally haven’t expected passports from most who have taken such flights.
I wonder if these operations were conducted at airports inside the 100-mile Constitution-Free Zone?
Old Jul 15, 2018, 2:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
I wonder if these operations were conducted at airports inside the 100-mile Constitution-Free Zone?
I have lawyer friends who would jump at the chance for a test case on this issue, heh
Old Jul 15, 2018, 11:13 pm

@greggarious, it's not quite the same, but there is usually a Border Patrol officer (green uniform) at the entrance to the security checkpoint at Tucson.
Usually they're just hovering, but I've seen them pull passengers aside. The passengers pulled aside are invariably Hispanic/Latina women.
There are no more scheduled international flights from TUS. Therefore it is a customs and immigration inspection for a domestic flight. They are definitely border patrol; CBP officers wear blue uniforms. The airport is 63 miles from the border.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 12:18 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Mats
@greggarious, it's not quite the same, but there is usually a Border Patrol officer (green uniform) at the entrance to the security checkpoint at Tucson.
Usually they're just hovering, but I've seen them pull passengers aside. The passengers pulled aside are invariably Hispanic/Latina women.
There are no more scheduled international flights from TUS. Therefore it is a customs and immigration inspection for a domestic flight. They are definitely border patrol; CBP officers wear blue uniforms. The airport is 63 miles from the border.
BUF has that at times too for those of us flying out from it on domestic flights. But they mostly don’t review documents, and I’ve never seen them come to the the aircraft door/gate to review docs of arriving passengers. When there is an on-arrival reception for a domestic flight, it’s been for things like trying to grab someone with a deportation order or things like that. Not that they get the right persons always.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 12:24 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
The Border Patrol can "inspect" people leaving the border zone further into the United States, but never the reverse. Therefore their presence is for people departing domestically from border zone airports (e.g. SAN, ELP, BUF), not greeting arriving flights, domestic or international.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 6:50 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
The Border Patrol can "inspect" people leaving the border zone further into the United States, but never the reverse. Therefore their presence is for people departing domestically from border zone airports (e.g. SAN, ELP, BUF), not greeting arriving flights, domestic or international.
What stops a border officer within the 100 mile zone from inspecting someone arriving on a domestic flight or inspecting someone waiting for an arriving domestic or international flight?
Old Jul 23, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Based on that, they couldn't inspect anybody flying from (for example) Tucson to LA (which is also in the border zone).
Old Jul 23, 2018, 9:34 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Based on that, they couldn't inspect anybody flying from (for example) Tucson to LA (which is also in the border zone).
Based on where the checkpoints are, neither Tucson or Los Angeles are in the border zone. USBP checkpoints are south of Tucson and in northern San Diego County.

<redacted by moderator>

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 23, 2018 at 10:15 am Reason: Comment on moderation
Old Jul 23, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Based on where the checkpoints are, neither Tucson or Los Angeles are in the border zone. USBP checkpoints are south of Tucson and in northern San Diego County.

<redacted by moderator>
The "border zone" is 100 miles from either an int'l border or the coast. Tucson and LA are definitely within the border zone.

https://www.aclu.org/other/constitut...le-border-zone

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 23, 2018 at 10:16 am Reason: Conform to moderator's edit of quoted post

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.