Constitution-Free Zone Alive & Well!

Old Feb 13, 2018, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by Ari
It is a little bit complicated (as usual) because the government is taking the the ridiculous position that the situation can't possibly recur because they changed their policy ....
Yeah. "Your honor, I am not guilty of robbing that bank on the grounds that I don't presently intend to rob any more banks in the future..."
Old Feb 13, 2018, 1:13 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nachtnebel
Yeah. "Your honor, I am not guilty of robbing that bank on the grounds that I don't presently intend to rob any more banks in the future..."
Well, not exactly . . . but very amusing nonetheless.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 1:29 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
In The New York Times:
Under Trump, Border Patrol Steps Up Searches Far From the Border*

Excerpt:

In Texas, a rancher has accused the Border Patrol of trespassing after he said he found a surveillance camera the agency placed on his property.

In New Hampshire, border officers working with state officials conducted what the American Civil Liberties Union described as illegal drug searches after residents were arrested at immigration checkpoints set up on a major interstate highway. One of the checkpoints was set up just before a local marijuana festival.

And recently in Florida, New York and Washington State, Border Patrol officers have been criticized for boarding buses and trains to question riders — mostly American citizens — about their immigration status.

*Permalink without a paywall.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 11:41 am

Updating this thread with a new CBP bus sweep incident that occurred June 7, at the Cali-Nevada border. From the ACLU. One courageous passenger stood up to the CBP:

Border Patrol agents boarded the bus and started to ask the passengers for their “documentation.” Ms. Smalls stood up again and shouted, “You have NO RIGHT to ask me for anything! This is harassment and racial profiling! We are not within 100 miles of a border so [these agents] have no legal right or jurisdiction here!”

Ms. Smalls’ simple and courageous act of resistance was enough. The Border Patrol agents, realizing that they would face an uphill battle, immediately retreated, telling the driver to continue on.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 4:52 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Updating this thread with a new CBP bus sweep incident that occurred June 7, at the Cali-Nevada border. From the ACLU. One courageous passenger stood up to the CBP:
Just think how often passengers don't stand up.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 6:25 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
The only source of that story is that lady who claims she was a hero. CBP says they weren't stopping any buses at the California-Nevada border. I believe them, that's outside the 100 miles border. Maybe the stop happened somewhere else, if at all.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 6:48 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by jphripjah
The only source of that story is that lady who claims she was a hero. CBP says they weren't stopping any buses at the California-Nevada border. I believe them, that's outside the 100 miles border. Maybe the stop happened somewhere else, if at all.
I suppose it's possible the whole thing is fabricated, but I doubt it. I also doubt it could have happened anywhere else, because people generally know what bus they are on and where it's going.

Maybe it was ICE rather than CBP. I don't know if CBP's statement of denial covers that possibility.

Or maybe it was an actual state agricultural inspector, and the bus driver erroneously referred to him as "border patrol". Those inspectors don't search every vehicle, they just pick at random, so perhaps he decided that this bus wasn't worth it.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cbn42
I suppose it's possible the whole thing is fabricated, but I doubt it. I also doubt it could have happened anywhere else, because people generally know what bus they are on and where it's going.

Maybe it was ICE rather than CBP. I don't know if CBP's statement of denial covers that possibility.

Or maybe it was an actual state agricultural inspector, and the bus driver erroneously referred to him as "border patrol". Those inspectors don't search every vehicle, they just pick at random, so perhaps he decided that this bus wasn't worth it.
Nope -- I don't believe them.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Nope -- I don't believe them.
OTOH, the ACLU looks to be making a lot out of a little, with no corroboration other than Smalls' story. What I can't figure out is why Greyhound is complicit with these sweeps. You'd think it would be bad for business. One wonders whether the federales threatened the company in some way as to obtain permission to board their busses.
gfunkdave likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 1:04 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
She states on her FB post "When we got to the California/Nevada state line, as always, there's a checkpoint. (This checkpoint USED to be one where they made sure you weren't carrying fruits into California, bc of an invasive fruit fly species)."

The only Agricultural station along I-15, according to the state website, is at Yermo, just outside of Barstow, a good 100 road miles from the state line.

https://www.cdfa.ca.gov/plant/PE/Ext...rders_map.html

And several commenters on her post state that they drive that route on I-15 often and the only ag checkpoint is the one in Yermo which was constructed in the 1960s. Also, access to the ag checkpoint is only from the southbound lanes of I-15 which is opposite her direction of travel.

Being way off on a key point (where the alleged incident took place) doesn't really help credibility in my mind.

It also seems odd that CBP would make a public flat-out denial if they in fact had attempted to ask for papers or whatever on that bus.

I'm skeptical that it happened as she states, absent corroboration from others who were there (I'm not skeptical that similar incidents take place elsewhere within the 100 mile zones, though, nor do I agree with same).

Last edited by 84fiero; Jun 21, 2018 at 6:51 am
Old Jun 20, 2018, 7:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
OTOH, the ACLU looks to be making a lot out of a little, with no corroboration other than Smalls' story. What I can't figure out is why Greyhound is complicit with these sweeps. You'd think it would be bad for business. One wonders whether the federales threatened the company in some way as to obtain permission to board their busses.

I was on a Turimex bus from Monterrey to San Antonio a month ago and we were stopped well after entering Texas, closer to San Antonio, within the 100 mile zone. The agents boarded and asked all the Meixcan looking people for ID. They asked me if I'm a US citizen. I don't think the bus drivers can refuse to let them on and just drive through the checkpoints.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 5:42 am

Here's the reason why Greyhound and Amtrak and others comply in these sweeps:

Congress created this border zone as part of the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1946. The law granted immigration agents the authority to "board and search for aliens any vessel within the territorial waters of the United States and any railway car, aircraft, conveyance, or vehicle." However, they could only do this "within a reasonable distance" from an external US boundary.

At first, that distance was just 25 miles. But in 1953, the Department of Justice published a rule redefining a reasonable distance to "a distance of not exceeding 100 air miles of any boundary of the United States."
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...s-amtrak-train
Old Jun 25, 2018, 8:22 pm

I was on a Turimex bus from Monterrey to San Antonio a month ago and we were stopped well after entering Texas, closer to San Antonio, within the 100 mile zone. The agents boarded and asked all the Meixcan looking people for ID. They asked me if I'm a US citizen. I don't think the bus drivers can refuse to let them on and just drive through the checkpoints.
Are they at least allowing that documented LPRs and tourists can ride busses, or are they still saying that only US citizens are allowed like they were in Maine?
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by mauve
Are they at least allowing that documented LPRs and tourists can ride busses, or are they still saying that only US citizens are allowed like they were in Maine?
If you're a foreigner legally in the country you can ride any bus you want I assume.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 9:48 am

If you're a foreigner legally in the country you can ride any bus you want I assume.
One would think, but there have been recent occurrences of people being told they have to be US citizens to ride a bus.

Watch: Border Patrol Officer Asks Maine Bus Passengers 'Are You Folks U.S. Citizens?' While They Wait in Line

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.