Constitution-Free Zone Alive & Well!

Old Jan 24, 2018, 6:06 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by :D!
Do driver's licenses and bank accounts get revoked when someone who was previously legally in the US overstays?
Not generally, at least not for years and years (or even longer) in many cases.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 6:39 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by JumboJet
She shouldn't have overstayed her visa. That's a crime and subject to arrest.
It's not a crime. It's a civil violation.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
None that I know of but if an Immigration Officer suspects you are not a citizen and you do not have any documents or refuse to produce documents they can take you into custody until your status is confirmed.
I believe that non-citizens are attempting to hide by wearing TSA uniforms. Everybody wearing a TSA uniform should be stopped by ICE officers and, if they can't provide proof of their citizenship or legal status (i.e. a passport or green card, driver's license doesn't prove anything), they should be held until they can show such proof.
Spiff likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 7:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by awayIgo
Most respondents are complaining about having to provide proof of citizenship and the fact that we are not required, by the Constitution to carry such. That is NOT what the OP said. Here, I'll repeat it, with emphasis added by me.

" They instructed each person to present “a U.S. identification or a passport with a stamp of entrance,”

A US identification can be anything--a driver's license, a medicaid or medicare card, a food stamp card, a credit card etc.etc. ALL of these documents are only issued to those who are LEGALLY in the US. --try to open a bank account now a days. --or try to be an illegal and get a credit card. So, holders of these cards are either legal, or they are experts at forgery. Now, who can honestly say that they are going to be traveling with NOTHING that has their name on it!
what part of the Constitution or US Code requires me to carry an ID on my person at all times?
Old Jan 24, 2018, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
It's not a crime. It's a civil violation.
maybe you should take a look at post #30 in this thread.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 7:48 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
A US identification can be anything--a driver's license, a medicaid or medicare card, a food stamp card, a credit card etc.etc. ALL of these documents are only issued to those who are LEGALLY in the US. --try to open a bank account now a days. --or try to be an illegal and get a credit card. So, holders of these cards are either legal, or they are experts at forgery. Now, who can honestly say that they are going to be traveling with NOTHING that has their name on it!
Well I often left my passport and I-20 at home when I took weekend trips to, say, NYC or DC.. I will continue to maintain that laws requiring anyone to carry their passport are asinine, especially if you're going to be spending more than a week in that place. If you really doubt who I am so much, I'm happy to go home to get and show it to you, as one may do in Germany.

Originally Posted by :D!
Do driver's licenses and bank accounts get revoked when someone who was previously legally in the US overstays?
DL validity is the shorter of the standard length for citizens (4 years?) or the validity of your visa. As for credit cards... Well, I still have some of my fee-free US cards two years after leaving
Old Jan 24, 2018, 8:24 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
A US identification can be anything--a driver's license, a medicaid or medicare card, a food stamp card, a credit card etc.etc. ALL of these documents are only issued to those who are LEGALLY in the US.
The highlighted portion is simply incorrect. According to the National Conference of State Legislatures, at least twelve states and the District of Columbia issue driver's licenses to unauthorized immigrants.
PTravel and aquamarinesteph like this.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
I believe that non-citizens are attempting to hide by wearing TSA uniforms. Everybody wearing a TSA uniform should be stopped by ICE officers and, if they can't provide proof of their citizenship or legal status (i.e. a passport or green card, driver's license doesn't prove anything), they should be held until they can show such proof.
I'm ok with that.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Not generally, at least not for years and years (or even longer) in many cases.
Yup. It’s also quite possible for someone not allowed in the US to have a legal US bank account.

It’s also trivial for me to request an extra credit card from my bank in the name of a nonresident.

I don’t regularly carry my passport, birth certificate, or GE card. As far as I know, neither do any of the hundreds of citizens I know on a first name basis. The cards I do carry don’t prove anything.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 11:53 am

1. There are lots of people with valid US driver's licenses, ATM cards, credit cards, etc. who aren't in the US legally.
2. There are lots of people who are in the US legally who don't have a bank account or driver's license.
GUWonder, :D! and mauve like this.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 8:45 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
The Border Exclusion Zone most certainly includes Fort Lauderdale. CBP has expanded authority in this zone. If a question of status is raised in this zone CBP can take a person into custody until status is determined.

You stated it is a constitutional violation to be made to prove citizenship. I'm not questioning your knowledge but am not familiar with that passage. Since the constitution lays out what federal government can do it should be no problem to cite that clause.
The main problem here, as I see it, is that no one was "required" to provide ID. That's why there's no constitutional violation. 99.9% of Americans are sheep. When dudes with guns and badges uniforms ask them questions, they answer. When those dudes ask them for ID, people give them ID. If every bus riding American told these guys to piss off and refused to answer questions or provide ID, these checks would have to stop.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My wife doesn't like carrying things. It's not unusual for her not to have any ID on her. On a trip I'm certainly going to be with her (unless we are temporarily separated) but around town she's been known to do things without me--zero ID of any kind (she doesn't drive, she doesn't smoke, she strongly favors cash over plastic. What does she need ID for?) Her English clearly marks her as foreign born.

She's naturalized so she's doing nothing wrong in this. What if she got caught up in one of their raids?
PTravel likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TWA884
The highlighted portion is simply incorrect. According to the National Conference of State Legislatures, at least twelve states and the District of Columbia issue driver's licenses to unauthorized immigrants.
Aren't they marked differently, though?

Originally Posted by jphripjah
The main problem here, as I see it, is that no one was "required" to provide ID. That's why there's no constitutional violation. 99.9% of Americans are sheep. When dudes with guns and badges uniforms ask them questions, they answer. When those dudes ask them for ID, people give them ID. If every bus riding American told these guys to piss off and refused to answer questions or provide ID, these checks would have to stop.
Lots of people fear the consequences of telling them to pound sand when they overstep their authority.

Last edited by TWA884; Jan 24, 2018 at 11:26 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function
Old Jan 24, 2018, 10:33 pm

Programs: RFC
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
She's naturalized so she's doing nothing wrong in this. What if she got caught up in one of their raids?
Based on past performance, CBP would attempt to deprive her of her rights, coerce her into signing deportation papers, and then deport her.
petaluma1 likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 2:10 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Aren't they marked differently, though?

Lots of people fear the consequences of telling them to pound sand when they overstep their authority.
They do. But if everyone told law enforcement agents to pound sand, there would be nothing to fear.
petaluma1 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.