Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2018, 3:27 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by mauve
Amtrak now, too:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/border...heyre-citizens

CBP is telling riders to prove they are citizens, not that they are here legally. What would happen to a LPR or tourist who was caught?
Natural-born US citizens born abroad but without a US passport and US citizens who don’t know their US citizenship may also have hassles from CBP in such domestic fishing expeditions by DHS.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 5:28 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by mauve
Amtrak now, too:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/border...heyre-citizens

CBP is telling riders to prove they are citizens, not that they are here legally. What would happen to a LPR or tourist who was caught?
Saw the video on Facebook. Sick, sick, sick. It wasn't even a train going to Canada, it stopped at Niagara Falls. And Amtrak has enough issues with timeliness, we don't need some CBP nuts delaying them more. I travel often between Albany and NYC. What would happen if I refused to show an ID? Or not even carrying an ID? I don't carry my US Passport with me, I don't have a DL, yes I have my Global Entry card, but that's the only US ID I carry on a regular basis. Surly there are others in the same boat.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
She overstayed her visa. She should be taken in to custody and removed from the country.
Yes, that's real problem. If she can come back to US and they will resolved it.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N830MH
Yes, that's real problem. If she can come back to US and they will resolved it.
No, once a person violates immigration laws they should never be allowed entry again.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
No, once a person violates immigration laws they should never be allowed entry again.
Right, they're breaking the laws. They could be deported from US. End of line! No one ever come back to US again.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ari
Not well; the government more or less ignored routine court scheduling and conferencing orders and then pretended it didn't. The Magistrate Judge on the case wasn't buying it:

Expect more in late March or early April.
Yeah, but how often do the judges actually do something meaningful about the government ignoring the court proceedings?
Old Feb 12, 2018, 8:40 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Yup, and if someone gets caught doing 60 in a 55 zone, or doesn't come to a full stop at a stop sign, they should never be allowed to drive again. Laws are laws, after all.
Loren Pechtel, muji and dinoscool3 like this.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Yup, and if someone gets caught doing 60 in a 55 zone, or doesn't come to a full stop at a stop sign, they should never be allowed to drive again. Laws are laws, after all.

I'm sorry that some can't see the difference.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 10:02 am

You're right, there is a difference. Being in the US in violation of the status of one's visa is far less detrimental to the US than someone not coming to a full stop at a stop sign. The former adds a productive member of society to a country with a dangerously low population growth trend, while the latter creates risks to pedestrians and other road users.

Time to cut ICE's budget by about 90%, limit its efforts to only collecting those convicted of felonies while in the US, and taking those $ and spending them on productive activities like traffic enforcement.
kbennett, muji and rickg523 like this.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You're right, there is a difference. Being in the US in violation of the status of one's visa is far less detrimental to the US than someone not coming to a full stop at a stop sign. The former adds a productive member of society to a country with a dangerously low population growth trend, while the latter creates risks to pedestrians and other road users.

Time to cut ICE's budget by about 90%, limit its efforts to only collecting those convicted of felonies while in the US, and taking those $ and spending them on productive activities like traffic enforcement.

Illegal immigration burdens social services, hospitals, and consumes tax dollars. Illegal immigration should be met with immediate removal and a ban on future entry.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 2:41 pm

Illegal immigration burdens social services, hospitals, and consumes tax dollars.
Generally untrue, and the effect, if it exists, is small, far less than promoted by racist groups like FAIR, and quite tolerable given the huge benefits immigrants bring to the US.

Illegal immigration should be met with immediate removal and a ban on future entry.
Just so long as you approve immediate and permanent revocation of driving privileges for any moving violation. Focus on the real dangers here.
muji likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 4:20 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note

Folks,

There is a very fine line between what is appropriate for the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum and what belongs in OMNI/PR, and it has just been crossed.

Please confine your future comments to security policies, what they are and what they should be. Discussion of undocumented aliens' burdens or benefits to society belongs in Omniland.

Future posts of a political nature will be summarily deleted without further notice.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Feb 12, 2018, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Both are considered very minor offenses.
catocony likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Ari
Not well; the government more or less ignored routine court scheduling and conferencing orders and then pretended it didn't. The Magistrate Judge on the case wasn't buying it:

Expect more in late March or early April.
I hope the ACLU doesn't give up or settle on too small a scope. If they (and through them, we also) prevail, it should put a stop to the apparently increasing number of passenger shakedowns, like the Amtrak stop shown on the video linked to above.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 12:57 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Yeah, but how often do the judges actually do something meaningful about the government ignoring the court proceedings?
Originally Posted by nachtnebel
I hope the ACLU doesn't give up or settle on too small a scope. If they (and through them, we also) prevail, it should put a stop to the apparently increasing number of passenger shakedowns, like the Amtrak stop shown on the video linked to above.
It is a little bit complicated (as usual) because the government is taking the the ridiculous position that the situation can't possibly recur because they changed their policy about how the New York office handles unaccompanied deportations and they won't be looking for a single passenger in the future ever again on a domestic flight (therefore plaintiffs don't have standing as they don't have likelihood of future injury), but they won't bother to answer the complaint or participate in discovery to substantiate their position. In other words, "take our word for it" in a motion to dismiss, "and be sure to let us file it some time in the future after the deadline has already come and gone for answering the complaint". Hasn't gone over well so far, but we can't predict what the future will bring.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.