Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TV crew trys to get fake bomb through EWR TSA

Old Jan 19, 2018, 6:05 am
Original Poster

At least seven members of a cable television crew were arrested after they tried to sneak a fake explosive device through a security checkpoint at Newark Liberty International Airport, the Transportation Security Administration said Thursday.
TV crew tried to sneak fake explosive device through Newark Airport security, feds say | NJ.com

Sounds like a "bomb" built by a committee to me. Why is TSA crowing about this? It's their job to find such things. (I read on another site that TSA at EWR is proud of the fact that they fail only 50% of the time.)

~~

ETA: Obviously, the title of the thread should be "TV crew tries......"
BTW, I note that Lisa Farbstein has blocked my twitter account again.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 6:59 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, United Silver
Have "wires" and "vacuum cleaners" been added to the prohibited items list?
Old Jan 19, 2018, 7:02 am

The trumped up charges here remind me of that "clock" incident a few years back.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A second source said the fake explosive device was a length of PVC pipe with wires sticking out from it. A bomb tech with the TSA determined that the device posed no threat, and that eight people were taken into custody.
So it was a piece of PVC pipe with wires sticking out. it was verified by a bomb tech to not be a bomb. Where is the crime?

I don't condone civilians testing airport security but shouldn't all that happened be that TSA alerted on the item and determine if a threat was present or not?

edit to add:

Looks like a TSA employee has moved up the ladder: Lisa Farbstein, acting director of media relations
altabello likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 9:42 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Given that this happened at EWR, I am absolutely stunned that it was found by the TSA
petaluma1 likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by goalie
Given that this happened at EWR, I am absolutely stunned that it was found by the TSA
Concur. However, if you look at a picture of the thing, a blind man could have found it. Either the crew that "built" this thing was just plain stupid or they wanted to get caught.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 2:16 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
They wanted both/either (get it through or get caught trying to get it through) so they would have film of either outcome.

Keep in mind that not only are actual prohibited items prohibited in the screening areas but also things that are replicas or simulations of prohibited items are prohibited in the screening area. The reasoning for this is that replicas can be used to achieve "terroristic" objectives (i.e. use a fake gun to hijack or hold a plane hostage, achieve suicide by cop, etc.) and greatly disrupt normal operations (even though everyone knows that planes are now immune to hijackings because all passengers and crew are willing to die . And so things like college finger gun salutes, silk-screen representations of a gun on a t-shirt, and miniaturized revolvers glued onto heels of a lady's shoe are verboten.....

Not that they would ever have received it, but these idiots should have asked TSA and the airport operations and police department for permission to conduct such a test. Instead, these yahoos ignorantly extrapolated that the 90% TSA screening failure rates during highly planned and carefully controlled internal testing would apply to their amateur-hour test. Oops.

Not to mention, they are going to have some serious 'splainin' to do to some very pissed off network management types and financial backers as they have completely wasted the rest of their production budget on liar-, er, lawyers and civil fines.....
trooper and phltraveler like this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 4:23 pm
T2A

Programs: Alaska MVPG
Reality tv crew tries to sneak fake bomb through TSA

These guys were crazy and deserve whatever punishment comes to them.

Reality show crew allegedly tried to sneak fake bomb past airport security - Jan. 19, 2018
Old Jan 19, 2018, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by jfunk138
The trumped up charges here remind me of that "clock" incident a few years back.
Not so sure these are trumped up charges. If Joe Blow citizen pulled a stunt like this, he'd get charged. Why should these media types be treated any differently?
Old Jan 20, 2018, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Have "wires" and "vacuum cleaners" been added to the prohibited items list?
Yes, it's prohibited. They cannot allow to bring vacuum cleaners. Don't bring along with you. Just leaves the vacuum at home.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This fake bomb was in the Wile E. Coyote category of a "1 Each Acme Terrorist Bomb." In keeping with the cartoon theme, you would have been Mr. Magoo to miss this attempt.
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by nachtnebel
Not so sure these are trumped up charges. If Joe Blow citizen pulled a stunt like this, he'd get charged. Why should these media types be treated any differently?
Have you seen the pictures? It's pretty clearly a vacuum cleaner. Fear of shadows will get us nowhere.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 8:12 am

Have you seen the pictures? It's pretty clearly a vacuum cleaner. Fear of shadows will get us nowhere.
ETA: Apparently they weren't trying to pull a fast one on TSA at all... It wasn't intended to be a hoax device, another overreaction by the TSA.

Endemol: Reality TV Crew Was Carrying New Product, Not Fake Bomb | Deadline
Old Jan 22, 2018, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Figures that TSA would try to hype it into a "Big Catch". Marilyn Hartman shows what the TSA really is, incompetent.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 5:27 pm

ETA: Apparently they weren't trying to pull a fast one on TSA at all... It wasn't intended to be a hoax device, another overreaction by the TSA.

Endemol: Reality TV Crew Was Carrying New Product, Not Fake Bomb Deadline
That story just quotes the Endemoi party line after the fact. Maybe it's true, maybe not. Stay tuned.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.