FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate-687/)
-   -   Rude PreCheck travelers who don't place the bins back in the stack (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/1882255-rude-precheck-travelers-who-dont-place-bins-back-stack.html)

vincentharris Dec 11, 2017 3:23 pm

Rude PreCheck travelers who don't place the bins back in the stack

Pet peeve but at ATL is it that hard for people to pick up the bin and place it back in the stack after your bag comes through???

if you’re in ATL apparently it is. EVERY time lately at pre check people just leave their bins so the machine backs up or somebody like me who picks up a few and their own and places it in th stack. The system only works if people follow this.

I would blame infrequent travelers but the but the biggest offenders are people in suits which leads me to believe I am talking about frequent travelers and maybe even some folks here

rant over just annoying that people can’t pick up after themselves. This is no a one inq whole thing either it’s happening every time I fly.

ethernal Dec 11, 2017 3:35 pm

You're already helping the TSA by having pre-check as you cost them half as much to process as a non-pre check pax but pay them the same amount on each ticket. I'm not going to do their work for them when they add no value anyways.

vincentharris Dec 11, 2017 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by ethernal (Post 29162067)
You're already helping the TSA by having pre-check as you cost them half as much to process as a non-pre check pax but pay them the same amount on each ticket. I'm not going to do their work for them when they add no value anyways.

Whether in pre or regular security it does not take but a second to pick up after yourself and put the bin away.

This is not a TSA problem its a passenger problem

pvn Dec 11, 2017 3:43 pm

Is there a reason you didn't post this in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...ain-about.html

ethernal Dec 11, 2017 3:44 pm

I'm not sure why it is my problem to do so. I have no desire for the TSA to be there so I don't exactly feel compelled to help them out. If they didn't exist there wouldn't be a need to worry about bins. It's their own self-created problem.

vincentharris Dec 11, 2017 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by pvn (Post 29162102)
Is there a reason you didn't post this in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...ain-about.html

Because it is not complaining about not getting an upgrade or not getting the meal I wanted on the flight. I feel like this is more legitimate of a problem.

yaychemistry Dec 11, 2017 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by ethernal (Post 29162103)
I'm not sure why it is my problem to do so. I have no desire for the TSA to be there so I don't exactly feel compelled to help them out. If they didn't exist there wouldn't be a need to worry about bins. It's their own self-created problem.

The problem is, the people who pay the price for your discourtesy aren't the TSA its the other travelers. Your fellow travelers probably don't want to deal with the TSA as much as you do.

It's fine if you think the TSA is worthless (I don't really disagree), but your little mini-tantrum really helps no one, inconveniences the people around you, and is really just petty. But to do it as a common courtesy saves your fellow travelers time (and tax pay money).

Let me guess, you probably also leave your grocery shopping cart in the middle of the grocery store parking lot, blocking two spaces, instead of pushing it 20 feet into the cart return?

ethernal Dec 11, 2017 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by vincentharris (Post 29162119)
Because it is not complaining about not getting an upgrade or not getting the meal I wanted on the flight. I feel like this is more legitimate of a problem.

Sorry.. I'm having trouble understanding what the problem is. People just suffered through a useless screening process, and you're disappointed they're not.. picking up their bins and putting it in a stack? When there is already an army of mouth-breathing TSA agents wandering around?

The parallel here would be getting mad that a flight attendant intentionally poured wine on all over a passenger and their seat and then got mad when the passenger didn't immediately get up and clean it off of the floor for them.

Often1 Dec 11, 2017 3:54 pm

A total non issue from my perspective. It has never held me up by any measurable amount of time and therefore I presume that when I grab my stuff (I almost never need a bin), it isn't holding anybody else up. TSA assigns an Officer to keep the line moving and that includes clearing the bins.

ethernal Dec 11, 2017 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by yaychemistry (Post 29162137)
Let me guess, you probably also leave your grocery shopping cart in the middle of the grocery store parking lot, blocking two spaces, instead of pushing it 20 feet into the cart return?

No, of course I put it away. I also clean up pick all my trash on planes before leaving and other common courtesies.

The shopping cart parallel here would be if the store made you walk your cart to the end of the parking lot 200 yards past your car and then ask you to walk it back to the cart return next to your car without rhyme or reason. In which case, you know what, I would leave it at the end of the parking lot because that's just stupid.

The Situation Dec 11, 2017 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 29162158)
A total non issue from my perspective. It has never held me up by any measurable amount of time and therefore I presume that when I grab my stuff (I almost never need a bin), it isn't holding anybody else up. TSA assigns an Officer to keep the line moving and that includes clearing the bins.

At least 50% of the time, a TSA agent is clearing the bin as soon as I have emptied it, 45% of the time PAX are stacking the bins and a TSA agent comes by a few moments later to collect and the other 5%, the pile up of bins doesn't cost me more than a minute. I agree that there doesn't really seem to be much of an issue here.

cestmoi123 Dec 11, 2017 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by vincentharris (Post 29162087)
Whether in pre or regular security it does not take but a second to pick up after yourself and put the bin away.

This is not a TSA problem its a passenger problem

It's a TSA problem. In spite of their massive overstaffing, they don't seem to have the resources to have someone stack the bins.

gooselee Dec 11, 2017 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 29162158)

I think OP is specifically referencing the PreCheck lines at ATL, where you are required to use a bin to put anything through the X-ray machine (you even have to put a standard-size rollaboard into a bin). I despise this system. Result is in lots and lots of bins going through the X-Ray. Where in most airports, I just toss my rollaboard and briefcase directly on the belt with zero bins (and easily pluck them off at the other end), with this system I'm required to put one bag in a bin, wait, push it into line, get a second bin, put my briefcase in it, wait, push it into a line, go through the WTMD, then wait on the other line while the line of bins inches along one at a time. Usually my two bins are separated from each other in the process.

Back on-topic - Most of the time I grab my bins just as they comes out, while other people are further down the line still collecting things out of their bins and reassembling themselves. In this case, I'll give mine a shove toward the end to clear some space and then walk away. To actually return it to the chute would mean unloading my bags and then either abandoning them or wrestling with two bags and two bins (neither of which I would have needed in the old system), then backing away from the conveyor line entirely, walking back and around the people standing "downstream" of me, and then placing them back into the return chute. Or, if the TSA so desperately believes the automated system is so useful and will speed things up, then they need to stick a blue shirt at the end of each line to collect the bins and stack them back in the return chute as intended. That person will have the distinct advantage of two free hands and lots of free time - things none of the passengers coming through the line have.

vincentharris Dec 11, 2017 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee (Post 29162409)
I think OP is specifically referencing the PreCheck lines at ATL, where you are required to use a bin to put anything through the X-ray machine (you even have to put a standard-size rollaboard into a bin). I despise this system. Result is in lots and lots of bins going through the X-Ray. Where in most airports, I just toss my rollaboard and briefcase directly on the belt with zero bins (and easily pluck them off at the other end), with this system I'm required to put one bag in a bin, wait, push it into line, get a second bin, put my briefcase in it, wait, push it into a line, go through the WTMD, then wait on the other line while the line of bins inches along one at a time. Usually my two bins are separated from each other in the process.

thank you this is what I am referring to, apologies for the confusion. In the case above no TSA agent is expected to do this and generally it just backs up because the whole chute gets clogged

NoStressHere Dec 11, 2017 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by ethernal (Post 29162103)

Nope. Not a TSA problem. It becomes a passenger problem.

Sorry - but I always stack and/or move bins to help fellow human beings.

(p.s. - I really dislike the TSA)