FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate-687/)
-   -   TSA screener found with gun in "lunchpail" (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/1881025-tsa-screener-found-gun-lunchpail.html)

petaluma1 Dec 5, 2017 5:37 am

TSA screener found with gun in "lunchpail"

It's a huge deal when a passenger brings a gun through a checkpoint but apparently not such a big deal when a TSA employee does it:

“The individual reported for work, and as is standard procedure went through security screening, where a firearm was detected,” said McCarthy. “The firearm was located in a sort of ‘lunchpail,’ where the individual had packed a meal in a sort of backpack.”...“No charges were brought against the individual,” said McCarthy. “As far as we can determine, there was no harm intended.”

McCarthy said he could not comment on whether the individual faces any disciplinary actions or fines as a result of the incident.
'Spose this will be reported on the weekly roundup of guns found at checkpoints?

http://www.unionleader.com/safety/TS...a-gun-12042017

Boggie Dog Dec 5, 2017 7:48 am

From the link in OP's post.

“It’s a personnel matter,” said McCarthy.
Is it a personnel matter or a personal matter? When TSA makes a dog and pony show out of every item they find I think incidents such as this need a bit more exposure than hiding behind the curtain of privacy. This person is clearly not to be trusted as would a passenger who accidentally presented for screening with a similar item.

People traveling with firearms in their carry-on luggage typically face penalties after the weapons are detected at security checkpoints. Fines for firearms range from $500 to $2,000, according to TSA’s website.
From the TSA Blog:

Travelers bringing firearms to the checkpoint can be arrested and fined up to $11,000.
Has TSA been reporting the amount of potential fines incorrectly or did the author of the article just get it wrong? This is what I found for firearms discovered at a Passenger Screening Checkpoint.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/civil-enforcement

Loaded firearms (or unloaded firearms with accessible ammunition)
$3,920 - $9,800
+ criminal referral
Looks like the article and TSA Blog both have it wrong.

Section 107 Dec 5, 2017 1:49 pm

NH's laws and regulations regarding firearms are significantly less restrictive than many other states. Concealed carry of a handgun (pistol or revolver) does not require any special permission and NH allows possession of a firearm in the terminal and outside the sterile areas. So, unless the person was otherwise prohibited from being in possession of a firearm there were no state/local laws violated.

This TSA employee was not at all authorized to be armed as a function of his duties. He will most definitely face disciplinary actions for attempting to bring a firearm into the sterile area. Typically this will include a suspension of security credentials for up to 3 days (if first offense), essentially 3 days w/o pay, and a probationary period. There may be other actions. And then matter will also go to Special Enforcement for evaluation of whether civil action should be taken and this is completely separate from any personnel action.

The typical civil assessment for a loaded firearm at the checkpoint is $3,000 with an offer of a reduction to $1,500 if one does not appeal the decision and pays it within 30 days. Oh, and years of SSSS.....

DCP2016 Dec 5, 2017 5:41 pm

Once again it really pays to be a tyrant.

JoeBas Dec 6, 2017 7:13 am

I think the bigger question is... who does this screener think he is bringing FOOD into the secure area???

Boggie Dog Dec 6, 2017 7:46 am

The obvious scenario is that this TSA screener place a weapon in his lunch pail in order to mask its presents in an attempt to transfer the weapon to a person who had already cleared security. The security implications in this matter are far more severe than has been let on and the TSA screener involved should be subjected to a very vigorous investigation and interrogation. As a manager there is no way that I would allow this TSA screener anywhere near an airport until this matter is fully investigated and resolved.

chollie Dec 6, 2017 9:37 am

Agree. Errant TSOs should be treated even more harshly than the traveling public because their privileged status gives them the ability to wreak so much more havoc than any traveler.

The horrific Ft. Hood shooting should have reminded TSA that no employee should ever be above suspicion.

petaluma1 Dec 10, 2017 7:29 am

As predicted, absolutely no mention of this in the TSA's weekly roundup.

https://www.tsa.gov/blog/2017/12/07/...canes-and-more

Boggie Dog Dec 10, 2017 8:01 am

Originally Posted by petaluma1 (Post 29156182)
As predicted, absolutely no mention of this in the TSA's weekly roundup.

https://www.tsa.gov/blog/2017/12/07/...canes-and-more

As best I can tell that airport doesn't get credit for the find in the list of airports.

N830MH Dec 10, 2017 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by JoeBas (Post 29140794)
I think the bigger question is... who does this screener think he is bringing FOOD into the secure area???

Yes, they always bring their own lunch to works. They have to go to break room and put a lunch bags in the refrigerator. Every time to bring their own lunch from home. Those screeners cannot bring a gun to work. They could sneaks a gun, knives, explosives into the secure area.

gsoltso Dec 18, 2017 7:15 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog (Post 29140907)
The obvious scenario is that this TSA screener place a weapon in his lunch pail in order to mask its presents in an attempt to transfer the weapon to a person who had already cleared security. The security implications in this matter are far more severe than has been let on and the TSA screener involved should be subjected to a very vigorous investigation and interrogation. As a manager there is no way that I would allow this TSA screener anywhere near an airport until this matter is fully investigated and resolved.

Please do not take what I am about to say as a defense of the individual in this case.

The most reasonable scenario (based upon statistics), is that this guy was irresponsible, and forgot the item was in his bag. A less reasonable scenario is that he had either the intent to carry the firearm for a personal reason (defense, etc), or that the individual had nefarious intent to pass the item on to another person as described above.

The security implications are serious, I agree 100% with you, and there should be a complete investigation into what happened - the individual should be prosecuted (if applicable) and punitively addressed according to agency regulations. This is an unacceptable occurrence, and there should be consequences, however, leaping to speculative theories without investigation serves none of us.

Boggie Dog Dec 18, 2017 8:17 am

Originally Posted by gsoltso (Post 29187751)
Please do not take what I am about to say as a defense of the individual in this case.

The most reasonable scenario (based upon statistics), is that this guy was irresponsible, and forgot the item was in his bag. A less reasonable scenario is that he had either the intent to carry the firearm for a personal reason (defense, etc), or that the individual had nefarious intent to pass the item on to another person as described above.

The security implications are serious, I agree 100% with you, and there should be a complete investigation into what happened - the individual should be prosecuted (if applicable) and punitively addressed according to agency regulations. This is an unacceptable occurrence, and there should be consequences, however, leaping to speculative theories without investigation serves none of us.

Would you please cite the reference for the statistics of TSA screeners taking guns work?

Who more than a TSA screener would understand the implications of entering a TSA checkpoint with a weapon? If as you suggest the screener "just forgot" that the weapon was in his "lunch pail" then I have to wonder if he had been taking this weapon to work on a regular basis and other TSA screeners failed to find the weapon or just looked the other way? Seriously, how do you pack your BLT and not see a handgun?

Think I will stand by my assessment until evidence is submitted that the screener did not act in a nefarious manner.