Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

New TSA PreCheck Rule for Disabled Passengers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New TSA PreCheck Rule for Disabled Passengers

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2017, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petaluma1
There's a reason for the "access denied" message but I can't remember what it is. I know another member has got the same message and was able to figure out the reason why. Hopefully, that person will read this and be able to advise you. In the meantime, try this for filing a complaint: https://hotline.oig.dhs.gov/hotline/hotline.php

The reason given for sexually assaulting people in chairs is totally ridiculous because the gun was found in the chair not on the person - and would have been found when the chair was checked. I would guess that someone got something through on his/her person during the recent testing period and now passengers are paying the price.
I may be the one who had a similar issue. Been a while but as I recall it had to do with a link or use of special character such as an @ in a twitter link.
petaluma1 likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 11:19 am

No pat down this morning at DEN, and TSA agents commenting to each other about how glad they were that the rule had been “changed back “.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Katja
No pat down this morning at DEN, and TSA agents commenting to each other about how glad they were that the rule had been “changed back “.
If true at all checkpoints, that is great news and shows what the power of publicity and protest can do to impact policy at TSA.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 2:53 pm

And no pat down at SEA! Crossing fingers that this is going to be consistent practice.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

I have recently had the humbling experience of sustaining a complete fracture of my right tibia and fibula. It is not until you become temporarily disabled that you realize the limitations that thousands of disabled Americans struggle with every day. I am writing about a severe policy deficiency within our federal government that singles out and humiliates these Americans.

I was flying from Seattle to Tucson on Christmas Eve when I was for the first time I can recall in my life, singled out for a “pat down” in which I was effectively sexually assaulted by a TSA agent who was simply following the policy procedure called out in his job description. The man felt my butt and my groin with his hands, and although he offered me “privacy,” I declined, because I felt that the tax-payers in the airport should bear witness to the sort of treatment disabled Americans get from the Department of Homeland Security.
http://www.thelocalvoice.net/oxford/...-a-broken-leg/

Read the entire article. Mr. Hines nailed it.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 6:38 pm

I like the part about Dick Cheney having engineered 9/11.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Katja
I like the part about Dick Cheney having engineered 9/11.
Except it weakens his argument and the argument is one that needs attention from almost everyone.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 5:42 am
Original Poster

Case of elder abuse by TSA

Old Oct 5, 2018, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

99 year old WWII veteran at TSA checkpoint

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaCT...re=youtu.be&a=

Why? Just why? Look at the poor guy shaking while trying to hold his arms out.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petaluma1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaCT...re=youtu.be&a=

Why? Just why? Look at the poor guy shaking while trying to hold his arms out.
Why? Isn't evident that this old warrior represents a significant threat against government control of the general public.

<redacted by moderator>.
'

Last edited by TWA884; Oct 5, 2018 at 10:01 pm Reason: Derisive gross generalization of TSA employees
Old Oct 5, 2018, 10:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Why? Isn't evident that this old warrior represents a significant threat against government control of the general public.

<redacted by moderator>.
'
Odd, too, because over the years I have repeatedly heard that there are a lot of vets working for TSA.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by chollie
Odd, too, because over the years I have repeatedly heard that there are a lot of vets working for TSA.
Just because there are a lot of vets working for TSA doesn't mean that a lot of TSA employees are vets.

(sorry, I'll go back and hide in my mathematically-pedantic corner ...)
Old Oct 7, 2018, 12:57 pm

Programs: TSA
Because someone would not be above using an elderly, infirm, mentally challenged, or disabled person (or child for that matter), to further their agenda.

There are quite a few folks that work for TSA that are Vets, depending on your source, it varies from about 1/4 to 1/3 of the workforce.

JK, I miss your posts!
Old Oct 7, 2018, 2:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I keep waiting for someone to cite an instance of a wheelchair-bound senior US veteran being used for nefarious purposes.

I suspect it happens less frequently than contraband smuggled in the body cavities that TSA doesn't search.

In fact, to the best of my knowledge, it has happened less frequently than the number of guns that TSA has allowed to go through the checkpoint undetected.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 4:09 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by gsoltso
Because someone would not be above using an elderly, infirm, mentally challenged, or disabled person (or child for that matter), to further their agenda.

There are quite a few folks that work for TSA that are Vets, depending on your source, it varies from about 1/4 to 1/3 of the workforce.

JK, I miss your posts!
*In theory*, sure, I wouldn't put it past fanatics to use "an elderly, infirm, mentally challenged, or disabled person (or child for that matter)" to smuggle a bomb through the checkpoint and onto an aircraft.

*In practice*, however, can you cite even one instance of such a thing ever happening in the entire history of commercial aviation?

Oh, and if you can cite one or two famous cases... you make my point for me. Because unless it's a common threat vector, it's not worth the price we pay to try to defend against it, because while TSOs are so busy looking for water bottles and measuring the volume of cosmetics and eye drops, they're still missing upwards of 95% of firearms, not to mention that one famous case of them missing five pounds of undisguised, unhidden C4 plastic explosive, still in the original, clearly-marked wrapper, in a soldier's bag.

I simply cannot understand why the agency, or anyone, could possibly keep repeating this line of justification for TSA's constant harassment of people who represent near-zero threat, both statistically and practically. It's quite simply, ridiculous on its face.
petaluma1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.