Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

New TSA PreCheck Rule for Disabled Passengers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New TSA PreCheck Rule for Disabled Passengers

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2017, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petaluma1
Many recent reports of wheelchair passengers being forced to stand while the chair is taken away for separate screening.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29094691-post18.html

One woman reported that her mother who has only 1 leg had to stand for 10 minutes while the chair was taken away. All wheelchair passengers need to be screened the way PreCheck wheelchair passengers are screened, minus the grope. No one should ever be forced to stand holding on to something; that's abuse of the handicapped.
Most people are in mobility chairs because they can't ambulate without difficulty or at all. Requiring these people to stand is so wrong that it begs the question of which idiot(s) at TSA dreamed this up. Why not provide a cleared chair and help transfer the person to the chair so they can remain seated? Is TSA so tone deaf that they can't even figure out this simple issue? I honestly don't think TSA has any concerns for what's good for the public.
petaluma1 likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 10:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I think it's pretty clear that whoever dreamed this up at TSA is someone who has zero respect for our wounded and maimed military veterans, let alone disabled civilians.

Sad that the rougly 20% of the TSA work force that are vets, presumably more acquainted with wounded and handicapped than the general population, are so willing to display such contempt for those former and current comrades who have paid such a high price to defend our freedoms. What kind of able-bodied vet can stand there in a TSA uniform and harass wounded and disabled vets and enjoy it?
Old Nov 27, 2017, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chollie
I think it's pretty clear that whoever dreamed this up at TSA is someone who has zero respect for our wounded and maimed military veterans, let alone disabled civilians.

Sad that the rougly 20% of the TSA work force that are vets, presumably more acquainted with wounded and handicapped than the general population, are so willing to display such contempt for those former and current comrades who have paid such a high price to defend our freedoms. What kind of able-bodied vet can stand there in a TSA uniform and harass wounded and disabled vets and enjoy it?
Anybody can call themselves a "veteran" even if they washed out of boot camp. Generally, you have to have served continuously for 24 months to qualify for VA benefits. It's not a stretch to speculate that there are many TSA clerk "veterans" out there who had a less-than-good experience on active duty and, therefore, are taking out their anger on real veterans or active duty members trying to get through a checkpoint.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
It's not a stretch to speculate that there are many TSA clerk "veterans" out there who had a less-than-good experience on active duty and, therefore, are taking out their anger on real veterans or active duty members trying to get through a checkpoint.
Do tell, point us to a confirmed story of this happening.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rolling_stone
Do tell, point us to a confirmed story of this happening.
For starters, they harass their own. <deleted by moderator>.

Last edited by TWA884; Nov 29, 2017 at 9:00 am Reason: FT Rule 12.1
Old Dec 12, 2017, 11:33 am

TSA Precheck + wheelchair user

I was getting ready to write up what my experience has been with TSA Pre-Check as a wheelchair user, and then I went through Pre-Check at PHX today.

The background is: SOP for wheelchair passengers who have Pre-Check is supposed to be no pat down, just a swab of the hands and the wheelchair for explosives residue.

In practice (in my experience) it's about 50-50 if I get a pat down, but those odds were good enough for me to plunk down $100 for Global Entry.

Today at PHX I was bitten by TSA's new "enhanced screening", the enhanced screening, which, according to TSA's website, was not supposed to affect Pre-Check passengers. An unadvertised change for wheelchair users is, you guessed it, a pat down every time.

Can I get my money back?

(And before everyone piles on me, yes, I know, there are no guarantees with TSA.)

Last edited by Katja; Dec 12, 2017 at 11:40 am
Old Dec 12, 2017, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by Katja
I was getting ready to write up what my experience has been with TSA Pre-Check as a wheelchair user, and then I went through Pre-Check at PHX today.

The background is: SOP for wheelchair passengers who have Pre-Check is supposed to be no pat down, just a swab of the hands and the wheelchair for explosives residue.

In practice (in my experience) it's about 50-50 if I get a pat down, but those odds were good enough for me to plunk down $100 for Global Entry.

Today at PHX I was bitten by TSA's new "enhanced screening", the enhanced screening, which, according to TSA's website, was not supposed to affect Pre-Check passengers. An unadvertised change for wheelchair users is, you guessed it, a pat down every time.

Can I get my money back?

(And before everyone piles on me, yes, I know, there are no guarantees with TSA.)
Yes, Amy Van Dyken, paralyzed wheelchair bound former Olympic swimmer was advised by TSA that this is the new procedure: if you refuse to stand up and walk through the WTMD, full body grope is now mandatory - even in PreCheck.

Yes, she was told the same thing you were when she signed up for PreCheck.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 7:14 am
Original Poster

No, you can't get your money back but perhaps a class action suit against TSA for reneging on their promise of an easier experience for chair-bound passengers at Pre might be in order.

<deleted circular link after threads were merged>

Last edited by TWA884; Dec 13, 2017 at 9:15 am Reason: Delete circular link post thread merger
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:05 am

Yes, Amy Van Dyken, paralyzed wheelchair bound former Olympic swimmer was advised by TSA that this is the new procedure: if you refuse to stand up and walk through the WTMD, full body grope is now mandatory - even in PreCheck.
"Refuse" is an interesting word to use in this context (I cannot stand or walk, so I'm not "refusing"). I'm seriously tempted to get down on the floor and drag myself through the metal detector next time.
knwl9 likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:22 am

"Refuse" is an interesting word to use in this context (I cannot stand or walk, so I'm not "refusing"). I'm seriously tempted to get down on the floor and drag myself through the metal detector next time.
I am much more capable than you, but trust me, if I am ever again given the option of dropping crutches and/or removing a walking boot and trying to hop into/out of the NoS or WTMD or face a genital rub, I will not hesitate to drop to the ground and start crawling. I'll be darned if I'm going to be bullied into doing something physically risky.

Any reluctance to comply with an illegal or stupid TSA order is a 'refusal'. I can't count the times I have patiently explained why physically I am unable to assume and hold the position in the NoS, only to be told that it was my 'choice' to face a punitive genital rub and prolonged bag rifling and swab because of my 'refusal' to use the NoS.

I think it's half training, half delight in bullying. Screeners are trained to believe that all physical limitations are fake, designed to somehow evade the system - or they are fake, just a display of rebellion by pax with attitude. Either merits punitive retaliatory action.

It's like 'sensitive areas'. Screeners are trained that bad guys declare 'sensitive areas' to conceal contraband, so anyone declaring a 'sensitive area' is automatically subjecting that area to greater manhandling and scrutiny. Screeners have to grind on the sensitive area until you flinch to ensure that it really is a 'sensitive' area and not concealed contraband.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:32 am

Sigh. I tried submitting a complaint:

I see that this is all over Twitter, and TSA just replies with:

1: Thanks for asking Amy. We understand your concerns. TSA adjusts processes and procedures to meet the evolving threat and achieve the highest levels of transportation security. Because of this, you may notice changes in our procedures from time to time.

2: The changes you’re asking about went into effect earlier this month. Here’s what changed: if a TSA Pre✓® passenger who uses a mobility device (i.e.: wheelchairs, braces, crutches) is not able to stand and walk through the metal detector…

3: or advanced imaging technology, that individual will now receive the same screening as any other TSA Pre✓® passenger who opts out of screening by technology. For you, this means that you should expect to receive a pat down and an inspection of your wheelchair…

4: when you travel with TSA Pre✓®. We understand that this may slow you down at the security checkpoint, but the procedural change is an important step to strengthening our overall security posture, including in TSA Pre✓® lanes. Pls visit: tsa.gov Frequently Asked Questions
<sarcasm>Equality! It's wonderful</sarcasm>

The screener who patted me down referenced an incident where "a 96 year old man had a gun hidden in his wheelchair". I'm guessing she was referring to this: http://www.thedailytimes.com/news/ma...21c28e37a.html, although this guy clearly isn't 96 (not that it matters).

Last edited by Katja; Dec 14, 2017 at 10:47 am
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:51 am

Gotta love that bit about rebellious pax who 'opt' out of standing and walking through 'screening by technology'.

It's interesting (but not surprising) that TSA has never tried to accommodate wheelchair employees. Someone in a wheelchair is perfectly capable of performing TDC and xray screening functions, and perhaps they'd add a little insight to the workforce understanding.

Then again, we're talking a work force who still don't get it that when a pax doesn't move a paralyzed limb no matter how loud you bark, it really isn't an act of rebellion deserving of harsh punishment.

Or they fully get it and delight in the opportunity to be obnoxious and bullying.

Next change to 'enhanced' screening: pax with ostomy bags will be required to 'open' the bag for vapor testing, because you can never be too sure - or too invasive.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward

Yes, she was told the same thing you were when she signed up for PreCheck.
There is correct. You have to stand up to walk through metal detector. Some of those old people who couldn't stand. They have to stay in a wheelchair to get fully pat down search. TSA is required to help with old people They had to take care with elderly people. TSA will have respected with elderly people.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 12:14 pm

TSA has no respect for old people if they 'refuse' to immediately and unquestioningly comply with physically impossible demands.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Sigh. I tried submitting a complaint:

I see that this is all over Twitter, and TSA just replies with:

<sarcasm>Equality! It's wonderful</sarcasm>

The screener who patted me down referenced an incident where "a 96 year old man had a gun hidden in his wheelchair". I'm guessing she was referring to this: Man arrested at airport after gun found in wheelchair | News | thedailytimes.com, although this guy clearly isn't 96 (not that it matters).
There's a reason for the "access denied" message but I can't remember what it is. I know another member has got the same message and was able to figure out the reason why. Hopefully, that person will read this and be able to advise you. In the meantime, try this for filing a complaint: https://hotline.oig.dhs.gov/hotline/hotline.php

The reason given for sexually assaulting people in chairs is totally ridiculous because the gun was found in the chair not on the person - and would have been found when the chair was checked. I would guess that someone got something through on his/her person during the recent testing period and now passengers are paying the price.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.