Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Using Passenger Screening Dogs

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2018, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by nrgiii
Speaking of canines, I experienced a TSA canine debacle today at HNL. At one checkpoint, TSA had everyone (include PreCheck) going through a line so the dog could sniff the carry-ons. This was not the dog and handler passing up and down the line as I've seen a few times before. This was a line stretched out the terminal and down the curb side pickup area (at least 200 feet!) to get to the dog. According to the non-TSA guard tending the line, those with PreCheck get to do the usual PRE screening, but only after clearing the canine inspection. He also (incorrectly) stated that all checkpoints were doing the same thing. What a complete waste of everyone's time.

Fortunately the next checkpoint down was operating normally (no canine line) and the PreCheck line there was reasonable.

Anyone else seen TSA do this with canines?

nrg
The debacle you describe seems to be in place at several airports. Did the passengers have to circle the dog so it could smell each side? I don't understand why they send PreCheck people through this dance - aren't the supposed to be trusted travelers?

ETA: Now it seems as if you need to have Clear also if you want to be semi-assured of a fast trip through security. $179 a year for Clear plus $85 for 5 years of PreCheck.

Last edited by petaluma1; Mar 31, 2018 at 5:54 am
Old Mar 31, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: AS, DL, UA, AC, Nexus, TSA Pre
Originally Posted by petaluma1
The debacle you describe seems to be in place at several airports. Did the passengers have to circle the dog so it could smell each side?
I don't know. The line was so long I never got close enough to see the dog before I bailed.

I don't understand why they send PreCheck people through this dance - aren't the supposed to be trusted travelers?
Exactly what I said yesterday at HNL, minus several 4 letter words.

ETA: Now it seems as if you need to have Clear also if you want to be semi-assured of a fast trip through security. $179 a year for Clear plus $85 for 5 years of PreCheck.
How does having Clear avoid the line-up-for-the-K9 fiasco?

nrg
Old Mar 31, 2018, 12:41 pm

I don't know. The line was so long I never got close enough to see the dog before I bailed.

Exactly what I said yesterday at HNL, minus several 4 letter words.

How does having Clear avoid the line-up-for-the-K9 fiasco?

nrg
It doesn't. But since this thread is why pay for PreCheck, I was simply musing. First it was only PreCheck, now it's Clear plus PreCheck - what's next?
Old Apr 3, 2018, 6:02 am

Speaking of canines, I experienced a TSA canine debacle today at HNL. At one checkpoint, TSA had everyone (include PreCheck) going through a line so the dog could sniff the carry-ons. This was not the dog and handler passing up and down the line as I've seen a few times before. This was a line stretched out the terminal and down the curb side pickup area (at least 200 feet!) to get to the dog. According to the non-TSA guard tending the line, those with PreCheck get to do the usual PRE screening, but only after clearing the canine inspection. He also (incorrectly) stated that all checkpoints were doing the same thing. What a complete waste of everyone's time.

Fortunately the next checkpoint down was operating normally (no canine line) and the PreCheck line there was reasonable.

nrg
As an aside, there was a tweet on the TSA's twitter account this morning advising travelers through SAT, post-Final Four, to allow EXTRA time because the dogs were in use.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As an aside, there was a tweet on the TSA's twitter account this morning advising travelers through SAT, post-Final Four, to allow EXTRA time because the dogs were in use.
Thought TSA claimed that using pooches sped up the screening process not slowed it down. Does TSA decide how screening works based on which side of the bed the TSA Administrator gets up on each day?

Last edited by Boggie Dog; Apr 3, 2018 at 2:27 pm
Old Apr 3, 2018, 6:51 pm

Programs: RFC
I'm having trouble understanding why there was a problem. Do TSA dogs not have legs or do TSA agents not understand how to use theirs?

How can they so consistently get implementation of *everything* (including best practice for use of dogs) wrong? Is it actual policy to be as inept as possible?
petaluma1 likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Thought TSA claimed that using pooches sped up the screening process not slowed it down. Does TSA decide how screening works based on which side of the bed the TSA Administrator gets up on each day?
Quite possibly.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JamesBigglesworth
I'm having trouble understanding why there was a problem. Do TSA dogs not have legs or do TSA agents not understand how to use theirs?

How can they so consistently get implementation of *everything* (including best practice for use of dogs) wrong? Is it actual policy to be as inept as possible?
Having observed the physical condition of a large number of TSA employees I would suggest that many TSA screeners have no idea what their legs are meant to do.
kennycrudup likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 9:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
TSA never guaranteed that the dogs would speed the process up.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by chollie
If you want to nit-pick, no they never guaranteed it (TSA guarantees nothing as a way of avoiding responsibility) but always said the dogs would speed up screening:

"Speedier screening is one of the benefits of the TSA's dog detection program, a relief to travelers in the past year."

“We have seen a noticeable difference in how quickly the lines move when the dogs are working.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ity/669316001/

"Neffenger said replacing the current security screening procedure used by most passengers with bomb-sniffing dogs would speed up lines at airports."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN0X5273
Old Apr 4, 2018, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chollie
TSA doesn't guarantee anything.
petaluma1 likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 9:27 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

TSA doesn't guarantee anything.
Incorrect. They guarantee a miserable airport experience.
Spiff likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Incorrect. They guarantee a miserable airport experience.
I've had some TSA experiences that were almost normal and some that have been horrible. Sadly TSA seems to have no conduct or professionalism standardization for screeners making each screening event a total crap shoot. I know what TSA claims to have but in practice those claims just don't materialize.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 11:50 pm

My understanding was that dogs are used to give everyone pre-check style screening which is what makes the line move faster. Is this not the case?

Following one of the New York snow storms, I flew out of EWR. There was a really long line and I was at first disappointed that they did not separate pre-check at all, having everyone go through the dogs. However, everyone was given the pre-check type treatment after going through the dogs, so the line moved really quickly (and I did not notice anyone get the random beep).

At MDW last Thursday morning, the pre-check line was not open when I arrived (before 4 am). The ID checker told me that everyone would get pre-check style screening because we went through the dogs. After getting closer to the front of the line, I noticed that people started taking off their shoes and going through body scanners. I then moved to the next line where I heard a TSO yell at the line to disregard everything that they were just told and that they needed to take their shoes and belt off, take out all electronics larger than a phone, etc. I then noticed that the precheck line had opened and left to make use of it.

Upon going back to the entrance of the checkpoint, everyone (including those going to the pre-check line) was forced to go past the dogs. I could not understand why people in the regular lines were no longer receiving the pre-check type screening even though dogs were still being used.

Is it typical for dogs to be used but for passengers to still receive regular (not pre-check style) screening? Is it normal for the TSA to change the screening to this from pre-check style screening and to tell everyone to disregard everything that they were just told?
Old Apr 12, 2018, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by guflyer
Is it typical for dogs to be used but for passengers to still receive regular (not pre-check style) screening? Is it normal for the TSA to change the screening to this from pre-check style screening and to tell everyone to disregard everything that they were just told?
This is how AskTSA would probably respond to your question:

While procedures are the same nationwide, interpretation may result in slight variation from airport to airport & situation to situation. Also, some element of uncertainty and randomness in security operations is necessary to disrupt terrorist planning and attempted attacks.
A good deal of horse-hockey is included in that statement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.