Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Mental Patient Escapes and Flies to San Francisco

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2017, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

https://www.pressreader.com/usa/hono...81492161607241

Long story short this dangerous mental patient escapes from hospital in Hawaii, charters a flight to another island then flies commercial to San Francisco all on a fake ID.

Can we chalk this up as another TSA fail? Remind me, why is TSA checking ID?
petaluma1 likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog

Long story short this dangerous mental patient escapes from hospital in Hawaii, charters a flight to another island then flies commercial to San Francisco all on a fake ID.

Kip Hawley, circa 2007: "ID matters."
Old Nov 16, 2017, 7:06 pm

I don't remember "Mental Patient" being stamped on you passport.
Sex offender, yes......but mental patient? One flew over the cuckoo's nest.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yandosan
I don't remember "Mental Patient" being stamped on you passport.
Sex offender, yes......but mental patient? One flew over the cuckoo's nest.
He flew Hawaii to the mainland on a false ID. Not sure why you introduced the passport element.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 6:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL

Who is "we"? I suppose that anybody can chalk up whatever they want, but they should not.

If you read the story you yourself linked, you will see that an arrest warrant was not issued for the offender until 3 days after he had boarded his domestic flight. Even if TSA checked for active warrants, it would not have found one.

Not sure what anyone outside of the hospital, including a law enforcement officer parked down the street, could have done about a person who is not observed to be committing any crime at the time and where there is no warrant or other order available.
trooper likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 6:32 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
Who is "we"? I suppose that anybody can chalk up whatever they want, but they should not.

If you read the story you yourself linked, you will see that an arrest warrant was not issued for the offender until 3 days after he had boarded his domestic flight. Even if TSA checked for active warrants, it would not have found one.

Not sure what anyone outside of the hospital, including a law enforcement officer parked down the street, could have done about a person who is not observed to be committing any crime at the time and where there is no warrant or other order available.
I think OP's point was highlighting that the patient traveled on a fake ID, which apparently TSA accepted.
petaluma1 and kbennett like this.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1

So TSA's ID checking is just "Smoke and Mirrors? .

The person traveled using a fake ID. He chartered the first flight with cash so it can be guessed that he also used cash for the flight to the mainland. Seems that should have earned him SSSS or perhaps the last minute purchase of a ticket should have drawn some attention yet he still slipped through the tenacious claws of TSA, the agency defending the Front Lines on the War Against Terror.
petaluma1 likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Not only was the fake ID not discovered, but it seems that the TSA Secure Flight vetting procedure failed as well.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 1:05 pm

The person traveled using a fake ID. He chartered the first flight with cash so it can be guessed that he also used cash for the flight to the mainland. Seems that should have earned him SSSS or perhaps the last minute purchase of a ticket should have drawn some attention yet he still slipped through the tenacious claws of TSA, the agency defending the Front Lines on the War Against Terror.
The article doesn't say anything about his TSA experience; he might very well have earned an SSSS screening. But as long as he wasn't carrying dangerous bottles of water, even the SSSS screening wouldn't have detected his status as an escaped inmate.

And, lo and behold, the plane he boarded didn't end up falling to the ground. Huzzah!

Yes, this shows the futility of ID checking as a part of TSA screening.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I think all of us are happy that nothing bad happened. The issue is that the safeguards that are in place didn't slow this guy down.

If ID checking/validation is such an integral component of the TSA security process then a fake ID shouldn't have made it through the TSA system.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 3:15 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by BSBD
Not only was the fake ID not discovered, but it seems that the TSA Secure Flight vetting procedure failed as well.
I'm not sure that Secure Flight failed. Secure Flight isn't supposed to screen for arrest warrants is it? I thought it only checked against the No Fly list and terrorist watch list (or whatever it's called). The person in question wouldn't have shown up on those lists merely from having an arrest warrant due to his escape (which it seems the warrant was issued after he had already flown anyway) Whether the ID was fake or real, if the name doesn't match to a name on one of the lists the person wouldn't be barred from flying.

I suppose if the ID were really well made, it wouldn't be detected as being a fake by the TSA ID checker.

Though the ID check is a waste to begin with, regardless.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 84fiero
I'm not sure that Secure Flight failed. Secure Flight isn't supposed to screen for arrest warrants is it? I thought it only checked against the No Fly list and terrorist watch list (or whatever it's called). The person in question wouldn't have shown up on those lists merely from having an arrest warrant due to his escape (which it seems the warrant was issued after he had already flown anyway) Whether the ID was fake or real, if the name doesn't match to a name on one of the lists the person wouldn't be barred from flying.

I suppose if the ID were really well made, it wouldn't be detected as being a fake by the TSA ID checker.

Though the ID check is a waste to begin with, regardless.
Your last sentence sums it up quite well. I really don't care if the person sitting next to me is an axe murderer as long as they didn't manage to get their axe past the intrepid TSA.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 5:25 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by 84fiero
Secure Flight (and ID checking) was an absolute failure, in that this situation shows how easily the system can be bypassed. We have been told the point of ID checks and Secure Flight is so that we know who is getting on the planes , and know we are keeping no-fly people off.

Apparently, all someone needs to do is create a fake identity to get around identity verification. This makes no-fly lists useless for anything other than facilitating meaningless random harassment of people who are not trying to hide their identity.
Boggie Dog, petaluma1 and Spiff like this.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by BSBD
Correct. He could be arrested for ID fraudulent. Why he escape from state hospital? He shouldn't leaves from state hospital after all. He should lockup forever. He cannot leaves from mental health or state hospital. He's too extremely dangerous. He could hurts with someone else.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 1:58 am

<deleted by moderator>

Any screw-up, if any, by TSA in this incident pales in comparison to the preceding fiasco at the mental institution. How does a dangerous sex offender, a murderer, casually stroll out of the facility, hop in a cab, and take a leisurely jaunt to the airport? And to boot, he evidently had sexual relations with three staff members? Nut screws and bolts.
Must be the Maui wowie.

Last edited by TWA884; Nov 19, 2017 at 4:38 pm Reason: Quote of deleted post

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.