Original Poster

Battery explodes at MCO and chaos ensues

Old Nov 10, 2017, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Old Nov 10, 2017, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Old Nov 10, 2017, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If they didn't know it was just a battery exploding rescreening makes sense.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 8:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Are any of us really surprised by their behavior?
Old Nov 11, 2017, 1:16 am

Programs: AA; Delta GM
The first thing I saw on Twitter were reports from a verified account of an active shooter. THEN maybe 20-30 minutes later, there was a notice from the Orlando police that there was no active shooter; rather, people had been 'scared' of a loud noise. There was no mention in much of Twitterland about a battery exploding or anyone being rescreened.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 5:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aquamarinesteph
The first thing I saw on Twitter were reports from a verified account of an active shooter. THEN maybe 20-30 minutes later, there was a notice from the Orlando police that there was no active shooter; rather, people had been 'scared' of a loud noise. There was no mention in much of Twitterland about a battery exploding or anyone being rescreened.
aquamarinesteph likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DCP2016
Are any of us really surprised by their behavior?
I wonder if they tried to do "reverse screening" of passengers on aircraft that had already taken off?
Old Nov 11, 2017, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
I wonder if they tried to do "reverse screening" of passengers on aircraft that had already taken off?
I can't find any reports of that happening but the re-screening of passengers from planes recalled and those in the terminal consisted of just walking through WTMD - at least from what I am reading - after a dog had swept the termial.

What is beyond me is that they KNEW it was a camera battery, why recall planes and rescreen passengers already boarded. Is it because TSA's failures at MCO were so high that they had no confidence that those already screened were, indeed, clear?

Also TSA screeners running and pushing passengers out of the way certainly does give the lie to these people being "officers" - a real officer would stay and help civilians.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petaluma1
I can't find any reports of that happening but the re-screening of passengers from planes recalled and those in the terminal consisted of just walking through WTMD - at least from what I am reading - after a dog had swept the termial.

What is beyond me is that they KNEW it was a camera battery, why recall planes and rescreen passengers already boarded. Is it because TSA's failures at MCO were so high that they had no confidence that those already screened were, indeed, clear?

Also TSA screeners running and pushing passengers out of the way certainly does give the lie to these people being "officers" - a real officer would stay and help civilians.
Highlighting above mine.

You stated the answer to your own question.

TSA's effort to con people into respecting TSA screeners is a failure, just like TSA.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 10:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
IIRC, TSA trains its employees to protect themselves in time of crisis. Dealing with pax is not part of their job description - that is the responsibility of airport employees and police.

Unfortunately, any time you have a crisis and there are people in uniform, ordinary citizens assume the folks in uniform have a clue what is going on. I don't think that's misplaced confidence. In my company, we regularly have employee evacuation drills - and they are taken very seriously. Part of the training for the drills involves designated leaders (and backups, and backups for the backups) who are responsible for directing any non-company employees on the premises during a crisis.

In a grade school, everyone looks to the teachers and staff for guidance. In a church, folks look to the pastor and ushers. In a McDonald's, you assume the folks in company uniform are the most knowledgeable about what is going on, where the exits are, etc. In a hospital, you assume anyone in scrubs will have the best advice in a crisis/evacuation situation.

Not to bash TSA, but I am not aware of another organization like it, government or civilian. It deliberately dresses its employees up in LE-like uniforms, it calls them 'officers', and it directs all pax to comply with any and all orders issued by anyone in a TSA uniform at all times, no questions allowed.

Except in times of crisis. Right.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
Thanks for the photos! I see that now, but my point was that at the time of the incident, there was little info from verified accounts other than 'active shooter' at the airport. Someone who didn't know enough to LOOK for more info would have been left thinking that there was an incident in progress.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Originally Posted by aquamarinesteph
The first thing I saw on Twitter were reports from a verified account of an active shooter. THEN maybe 20-30 minutes later, there was a notice from the Orlando police that there was no active shooter; rather, people had been 'scared' of a loud noise.
The Atlanta newspaper reported that the "gunshots" were actually queuing stanchions being knocked over:
The TSA commended the agent, saying he ran the bag away even as panicked passengers "knocked over the queuing stanchions and dropped roller bags, creating loud banging sounds which were perceived as gunshots, further spreading panic throughout the airport."
I accept that stanchions falling onto a concrete floor could easily be perceived to be gunshots, but I'm having a much harder time accepting that the noise from a dropped roller bags could be perceived as a gunshot. Have any FTers ever confused the sound of dropping a roller bag with the sound of a gunshot?

Another interesting detail:
The TSA agent, a 20-year Army veteran, said he believed the bag to be an improvised explosive device. He placed it between a concrete column and a concrete planter to mitigate any harm that might come with a full explosion.
Link to full article: AJC.com - Army veteran TSA agent runs exploding battery away from passengers Orlando airport (7:18 a.m. Monday, Nov. 13, 2017)
Old Nov 13, 2017, 7:23 am

Programs: DL, WN, US, Avis, AA
Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain
The Atlanta newspaper reported that the "gunshots" were actually queuing stanchions being knocked over:
I accept that stanchions falling onto a concrete floor could easily be perceived to be gunshots, but I'm having a much harder time accepting that the noise from a dropped roller bags could be perceived as a gunshot. Have any FTers ever confused the sound of dropping a roller bag with the sound of a gunshot?
I suspect that many, if not most, of those who were perceiving various noises to be gunshots have never actually heard gunshots. In a panic situation many people could think any sharp, loud noise to be a gunshot.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain

Another interesting detail:

Link to full article: AJC.com - Army veteran TSA agent runs exploding battery away from passengers Orlando airport (7:18 a.m. Monday, Nov. 13, 2017)
Not many stanchions being knocked over or roller bags being dropped in this video. Of course, who knows what happened in other lines.

http://www.wftv.com/news/local/watch...-oia/645873118

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.