Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

MOBILE Flight Deck Secondary Barrier Galley Cart System

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MOBILE Flight Deck Secondary Barrier Galley Cart System

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2017, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: http://www.maclean-scotus.info
Originally Posted by WillCAD
I'm kinda thinkin' that there is no problem BECAUSE an FA stands in front with or without a galley cart. I'm thinkin' that there already IS a barrier in place, but instead of a passive mechanical barrier, it's one that is active and sentient, who can not only block an intruder, but call for help and warn the pilots if one attempts to breach the flight deck.
As posted before: the RTCA DO-329 concluded that both methods, including yours, were ruled ineffective by the prepared aircrew and Federal Air Marshal test-teams and the "attacking" role-players unwilling to hurt themselves.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MacLeanBarrier
Not true. Both TSA HQ and FAA HQ had copies of the SSI unredacted RTCA DO-329 study report, and the pilots and flight attendants unions participated whereas the Fraternal Order of Police, Air Marshal Association, and the Federal Law Enforcement Officers Association were not invited.
OK, so TSA didn't think the Air Marshal component needed the report. The FOP, AMA, and FLEOA have no decision responsibilities for how the airlines address security.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
OK, so TSA didn't think the Air Marshal component needed the report. The FOP, AMA, and FLEOA have no decision responsibilities for how the airlines address security.
Just trying to clarify: You believe that flying Federal Air Marshals DO NOT have a need to know the results of the study?

Why should the law enforcement representative groups not be allowed into the study when the aircrew representative groups were allowed?
Old Nov 9, 2017, 1:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Just trying to clarify: You believe that flying Federal Air Marshals DO NOT have a need to know the results of the study?

Why should the law enforcement representative groups not be allowed into the study when the aircrew representative groups were allowed?
No disrespect intended, but you make it sound like this is a big deal. I don't pretend to know and understand the intricate hierarchies of the agencies and groups involved.

Presumably someone official has been asked exactly the question you are posing: what did that spokesperson say?
Old Nov 9, 2017, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chollie
No disrespect intended, but you make it sound like this is a big deal. I don't pretend to know and understand the intricate hierarchies of the agencies and groups involved.

Presumably someone official has been asked exactly the question you are posing: what did that spokesperson say?
Both the TSA and FAA agreed that secondary barriers are needed:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/17/bu...-security.html
Old Nov 9, 2017, 2:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO

Actually, it looks like TSA thought secondary cockpit doors were more effective than FA + cart.

I wanted to know if someone in authority was ever asked:

If so, what was the reply?
Old Nov 9, 2017, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not what I said, TSA management had the study in hand and did not share with the FAM component of the TSA organization. So TSA must have made that decision.

Besides, isn't part of the air marshals duties to prevent this threat vector from being successful? Isn't that why when a marshal is aboard they hog a choice seat in F. How would this study change how the air marshals deploy its assets?

No, the FAA declined to mandate secondary doors. You're misstating what was reported n the article you referenced. The FAA and TSA only agreed that secondary doors provide additional security.

Last edited by TWA884; Nov 9, 2017 at 5:54 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function
Old Nov 9, 2017, 6:24 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
As posted before: the RTCA DO-329 concluded that both methods, including yours, were ruled ineffective by the prepared aircrew and Federal Air Marshal test-teams and the "attacking" role-players unwilling to hurt themselves.
No, I'm pretty sure I read all the references that stated a human blocking the way was largely ineffective, a human with a large obstructive object (such as a cart) was acceptably effective, however a secondary barrier was most effective. Which is pretty bleeding obvious, really. I don't see how in any world you could claim with a straight face that a galley cart (large, blocks the aisle, and usually relatively heavy) is an ineffective barrier against someone running down an aisle. What are they going to do, leap over it in a single bound, spear tackle the door before it closes, and roll to a stop before springing up and Vulcan neck pinching the pilot to seize control of the plane?

It requires a set of circumstances so unlikely that it's no surprise that FAA decided that it wasn't worth the hassle.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 11:57 pm

Programs: RFC
Originally Posted by kyanar
It requires a set of circumstances so unlikely that it's no surprise that FAA decided that it wasn't worth the hassle.
I believe the phrase you're looking for is "solution in search of a problem."

If there's no problem, why does a flight attendant stand in front with--or without--a galley cart?
Because US carriers decided, in participation with the culture of fear that the US is going through right now, to do so as a way of Showing Things Are Safe. After all, no one has tried the attack vector you suggest in, what, 15+ years?

Originally Posted by chollie
There's no problem because having an FA stand guard is part of the process.

I'm guessing whoever decides what materials become part of training looked at the materials and decided that they added nothing of value to current training.

I just don't see the threat. You're positing the existence of a Jackie Chan-like athlete on a suicide mission where everything goes right - no pesky pax steps out of his seat into the aisle during the perp's 26-foot run, no annoying pauses to open a screen between first and coach if the perp is riding in coach, no pesky FAs standing behind the cart the perp is about to dive over, plenty of room for a successful landing, ability to fight off at least two people, an FA and a pilot exiting the cockpit, it happens on a flight with no FA on board...

It's too long a shot to worry about.
And, if anyone did try it, there is, these days, likely to 2-3 people gleefully following down the aisle to beat the crap out of the perp. Look at the person that had a psychotic episode on a trans-atlantic flight and in his panic tried to open a door at the back of the plane: taken down, restrained, and then beaten by half a dozen other pax to the point that the FA's had to intervene to stop them.

IIRC, the *only* thing a FAM has done in the last ~15 years is murder someone on a jetway that was also having a psychotic episode. Ruled justified, of course, because America.

Last edited by TWA884; Nov 10, 2017 at 1:04 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function
Old Nov 10, 2017, 6:12 am
Original Poster

The FAA and TSA only agreed that secondary doors provide additional security.
The University of Newcastle and Ohio State University also concluded secondary barrier systems are needed:

Page 9:

The flight deck is clearly vulnerable to flight deck intrusions during door transition due to lack of training and the very short reaction times needed to defeat an attacker in easy reach of the cockpit door.
PAGE 10:

During the time of opening and closing (‘door transition’), the protective benefits of a hardened cockpit door to protect the flight deck area is reduced at least against highly skilled and lightfooted hijackers (RTCA 2010). While some airlines have instituted procedures during door transition (such as galley trolleys to block access to the flight deck), they are not fool-proof.
PAGE 21:

CONCLUSIONS
[ . . . ] almost all of that benefit can be obtained with a very inexpensive mix of security measures: the installation of physical secondary barriers (IPSB)to entering the cockpit for those brief and fleeting moments when the cockpit door is opened during flight, and doubling the budget of the Federal Flight Deck Officer program. Overall, a policy that includes IPSBs, an increased budget for FFDOs, and a reduced budget for FAMS may well be optimal
http://fdx.alpa.org/Portals/26/docs/...nal%202012.pdf
Old Nov 10, 2017, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The University of Newcastle and Ohio State University also concluded secondary barrier systems are needed:

Page 9:

PAGE 10:

PAGE 21:

Nowhere in those three quotes does it say additional barriers are needed.

"vulnerable to flight deck intrusions during door transition due to lack of training" Increase training.

"against highly skilled and lightfooted hijackers" Minimal problem, try running up the aisle of an airplane.

"brief and fleeting moments when the cockpit door is opened during flight" A good example of describing the non-problem.

If an imaginary hijacker doesn't know when the cockpit door may be opened then they cannot be primed to jump into action. Perhaps moving a galley cart or such to the aisle only gives a potential hijacker the preparatory time to act.

I would support the increased funding for and role of FFDO's and reducing FAM budget. Some training and a Sig Sauer, problem solved with cost born by the airlines not taxpayers. Alternatively FAM's could be seated with one in the cockpit jump seat and one in the aft galley jump seat on all flights reducing the FAM load on flights to no more than two people and freeing up revenue seats.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Nowhere in those three quotes does it say additional barriers are needed.

"vulnerable to flight deck intrusions during door transition due to lack of training" Increase training.

"against highly skilled and lightfooted hijackers" Minimal problem, try running up the aisle of an airplane.

"brief and fleeting moments when the cockpit door is opened during flight" A good example of describing the non-problem.

If an imaginary hijacker doesn't know when the cockpit door may be opened then they cannot be primed to jump into action. Perhaps moving a galley cart or such to the aisle only gives a potential hijacker the preparatory time to act.

I would support the increased funding for and role of FFDO's and reducing FAM budget. Some training and a Sig Sauer, problem solved with cost born by the airlines not taxpayers. Alternatively FAM's could be seated with one in the cockpit jump seat and one in the aft galley jump seat on all flights reducing the FAM load on flights to no more than two people and freeing up revenue seats.
There are NUMEROUS short-comings in your guesses--that is why the RTCA, the universities, and the Department of Transportation / Office of Inspector General (just issued) commissioned their studies that secondary barriers must be required.

A hammer-less/double-action revolver locked into EVERY flight deck (cockpit) would significantly reduce the Federal Flight Deck Officers budget and provide 100% firearms protection for every flight.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are NUMEROUS short-comings in your guesses--that is why the RTCA, the universities, and the Department of Transportation / Office of Inspector General (just issued) commissioned their studies that secondary barriers must be required.

None of the cites listed so far mandate a barrier.

A hammer-less/double-action revolver locked into EVERY flight deck (cockpit) would significantly reduce the Federal Flight Deck Officers budget and provide 100% firearms protection for every flight.
I'm good with having a good semi-automatic pistol such as a Sig P320, in the cockpit at the ready, when the aircraft is manned as long as pilots are well trained and received regular refresher training.
A revolver would not be the an optimum choice.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 9:39 am
Original Poster

I'm good with having a good semi-automatic pistol such as a Sig P320, in the cockpit at the ready, when the aircraft is manned as long as pilots are well trained and received regular refresher training.
A revolver would not be the an optimum choice.
You're exceptionally mistaken.

I have 26 years of military, executive protection, and federal law enforcement experience and a semi-automatic pistol is not an "optimum choice" because you have to train to take it apart (i.e., field-strip it), force ammunition into its spring-loaded magazine, insert its magazine until properly locked, manipulate its slide to load a round into the chamber, disengage/reengage a safety, learn double-action, learn single-action, learn double-to-single action, learn single-to-double action, de-cock actions, learn emergency failure-drills (i.e., tap-rack-press; stove-top; double-feed)...the list goes on with a semi-automatic.

A non-safety hammerless/double-action revolver requires NO TRAINING: Put the bullets into their round holes in the cylinder, push the cylinder closed, point, pull trigger...if it malfunctions...pull the trigger again...repeat.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 11:01 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.

Page 9:

The flight deck is clearly vulnerable to flight deck intrusions during door transition due to lack of training and the very short reaction times needed to defeat an attacker in easy reach of the cockpit door.
PAGE 10:

During the time of opening and closing (‘door transition’), the protective benefits of a hardened cockpit door to protect the flight deck area is reduced at least against highly skilled and lightfooted hijackers (RTCA 2010). While some airlines have instituted procedures during door transition (such as galley trolleys to block access to the flight deck), they are not fool-proof.
PAGE 21:

CONCLUSIONS
[ . . . ] almost all of that benefit can be obtained with a very inexpensive mix of security measures: the installation of physical secondary barriers (IPSB)to entering the cockpit for those brief and fleeting moments when the cockpit door is opened during flight, and doubling the budget of the Federal Flight Deck Officer program. Overall, a policy that includes IPSBs, an increased budget for FFDOs, and a reduced budget for FAMS may well be optimal
No, that is NOT what the passages you quoted say at all.

The conclusions you quoted above are:
Page 10: Procedures such as galley trolleys blocking flight deck access are not fool-proof. Not ineffective, or even inadequate, just not fool-proof. And when used in combination with other measures such as improved training, increased passenger awareness, and the occasional FAM or FFDO, they are, in my opinion, adequate.

Page 21: Policies including IPSBs, more FFDOs, and fewer FAMs would be the optimal security mix. Anything less than optimal is not automatically innefective or inadequate, however, which is what you've been implying throughout this thread.

You're exceptionally mistaken.

I have 26 years of military, executive protection, and federal law enforcement experience and a semi-automatic pistol is not an "optimum choice" because you have to train to take it apart (i.e., field-strip it), force ammunition into its spring-loaded magazine, insert its magazine until properly locked, manipulate its slide to load a round into the chamber, disengage/reengage a safety, learn double-action, learn single-action, learn double-to-single action, learn single-to-double action, de-cock actions, learn emergency failure-drills (i.e., tap-rack-press; stove-top; double-feed)...the list goes on with a semi-automatic.

A non-safety hammerless/double-action revolver requires NO TRAINING: Put the bullets into their round holes in the cylinder, push the cylinder closed, point, pull trigger...if it malfunctions...pull the trigger again...repeat.
I am not a firearms expert, by any stretch of the imagination, but even with my limited knowledge I can see that you are absolutely correct about the benefits of a hammerless revolver vs a semi-auto pistol. An untrained, inexperienced shooter will have far less difficulty picking up a hammerless revolver and making it go BANG than they would picking up an auto pistol and making it go BANG.

However, choosing the firearm using the assumption that it will be used completely untrained personnel is absolutely ludicrous. Any firearm placed aboard a plane for use by the flight crew would require the intended users to undergo extensive training well in advance, not only on the mechanical operation of the weapon, but on the far more important topics of:
* Safe handling (so it doesn't go BANG when not intended)
* Secure storage and transport (so only the intended user can make it go BANG)
* Maintenance and upkeep (so it may be relied upon to go BANG every time)
* Confined-space weapon handling and marksmanship (so it will go BANG only in the intended and proper direction)
* Most importantly - situational evaluation and judgement of when to use the weapon and when not to use it (so it doesn't go BANG the first time a drunken idiot rattles the flight deck door thinking it's the loo).

Taken in that context, the difference in training between a hammerless revolver and a typical auto pistol is actually rather minimal. All of this is why there isn't, and never will be, a gun in every commercial carrier's cockpit.

This is very much akin to teaching someone how to drive. Learning which controls do what and how to make a car with automatic transmission go, stop, and turn are so simple they can be learned in an hour. Operation of a manual (stick shift) transmission is more complex and takes more time to learn. Learning how to safely negotiate the roads in the midst of other vehicular and pedestrian traffic, abide by the myriad traffic laws, and aquire proper situational awareness when behind the wheel - that's what takes a multi-week driver's education course and extensive live practice under the supervision of an experienced driver, before one can be licensed to operate a motor vehicle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.