Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

New Screening Measures and "Interviews" for Passengers on US Bound Flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2017, 5:00 am
Original Poster

Not sure if this has been covered elsewhere.

This will go 'well'.

http://www.airlive.net/flying-to-the...from-thursday/

It will probably involve staggering incompetence, ridiculous questions ("why do you have a laptop with you?"), and more....
Old Oct 25, 2017, 6:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy

This will go 'well'.

It will probably involve staggering incompetence, ridiculous questions ("why do you have a laptop with you?"), and more....
I agree. Not like a terrorist is going to volunteer their laptop or whatever is actually a bomb. Personally I take my laptop on both business and personal travel so I can either work or stay in contact. What are they going to say or do if I answer with one or the other reason?
Old Oct 25, 2017, 8:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I predict more bag searches for anyone who is NOT carrying electronics.

More than once a TSO has barked at me to remove all electronics, even when I am not carrying anything - not even a cellphone. It has never happened outside the US, however.
Blogndog likes this.

Last edited by chollie; Oct 25, 2017 at 8:14 am
Old Oct 25, 2017, 11:18 am

AA check-in agents do this little interview from LHR, and the questions are weird and moronic. I'm not really sure what they're meant to do other than fluster someone?

The article also says that there could be physical inspections of electronic devices. I'm not sure what a check-in agent is going to do with my Kindle to make sure it's safe...
Old Oct 25, 2017, 11:34 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Buster
AA check-in agents do this little interview from LHR, and the questions are weird and moronic. I'm not really sure what they're meant to do other than fluster someone?
That's been the subject of a lively discussion in the American Airlines forum:
The article also says that there could be physical inspections of electronic devices. I'm not sure what a check-in agent is going to do with my Kindle to make sure it's safe...
Already discussed here:
Pendergast likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 12:39 pm

It's reached the Sun - once the Daily Mail finds out about it they'll be heck to pay
Old Oct 25, 2017, 12:47 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
Is this any different to the questions I get asked every time I have flown a US carrier from the UK for the last 20 years? You know, "Who packed your bags?", "Did anyone give you anything?" etc.?
Old Oct 25, 2017, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp

There are AA contract agents at other European airports besides LHR who ask the same questions. At least CDG and FRA comes to mind. I don't remember UA agents at European airlines asking these questions when flying back to the US from the EU.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy

This will go 'well'.

The news report here on FT is that screenings will be done by “airline employees”. I can't imagine what good that will do. They will be neither trained nor motivated to accomplish anything by it except waste everyone's time.

Supposedly the Israelis have the interview stuff down to a real art or science (I've never flown there so this is my hearsay). But I don't think anyone else is as committed to doing good screening interviews as they are.
wxman22 likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 2:06 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by inet32
The news report here on FT is that screenings will be done by “airline employees”. I can't imagine what good that will do. They will be neither trained nor motivated to accomplish anything by it except waste everyone's time.

Supposedly the Israelis have the interview stuff down to a real art or science (I've never flown there so this is my hearsay). But I don't think anyone else is as committed to doing good screening interviews as they are.
I was quite impressed by the Israeli security. They seem to have me flagged, for some reason but as I crossed the airport they had no problem tracking me for additional screening. Very polite and professional about it though.

But i think the multi layered approach employed in Israel is a far better deterance due to its unpredictability.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 4:54 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by swiftaw
Is this any different to the questions I get asked every time I have flown a US carrier from the UK for the last 20 years? You know, "Who packed your bags?", "Did anyone give you anything?" etc.?
Same kind of junk, just with more money going into the hands of US—approved “security” contractors or airline employees playing Inspector Gadget.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 6:07 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Here are a couple more articles:
CBS News - Travelers face new security measures on all U.S.-bound flights

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates -- All incoming flights to the United States will be subject to new security screening procedures, including both American citizens and foreigners possibly facing security interviews from airline employees, a U.S. government official said Wednesday.

The announcement from the U.S. Transportation Security Administration comes after five global long-haul airlines - Air France, Cathay Pacific, EgyptAir, Emirates and Lufthansa - said they would begin the new security interviews starting Thursday. A sixth carrier, Royal Jordanian, said it would begin the new procedures in mid-January after U.S. authorities granted RJ's request for a delay in implementing the measures.

However, the airlines offered different descriptions of how the interviews would take place, ranging from another form a traveler would have to fill out to actually being questioned by an airline employee.

<snip>
ABC News - New screenings to start for all US-bound airline passengers

<snip>

Both American air carriers and global airlines must comply, affecting all the 2,100 flights from around the world entering the U.S. on any given day. The directive is far broader than an earlier Trump administration ban on laptops inside the cabins of some airliners, which only targeted 10 Mideast cities and their airlines.

Confusion greeted the new rules. While five global long-haul carriers said they would begin the new security interviews on Thursday, each offered different descriptions of how the procedure would take place, ranging from a form travelers would be required to fill out to being verbally quizzed by an airline employee. Other carriers insisted their operations remained the same.

"The security measures affect all individuals, international passengers and U.S. citizens, traveling to the United States from a last point of departure international location," said Lisa Farbstein, a spokeswoman for the U.S. Transportation Security Administration. "These new measures will impact all flights from airports that serve as last points of departure locations to the United States."

<snip>
Old Oct 25, 2017, 7:25 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
In the next few days we will start getting reports on how this is really being implemented and whether this is causing big delays.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 9:37 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
I’m more concerned about how this will impact OLCI and bypassing the check in counter.

I’m hoping these mandatory checks can be done at the gate as well...
Old Oct 25, 2017, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by swiftaw
You should say "Alone." and says "Nobody, just me." You should follow the security questions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.