Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Drugs smuggled by airline from PHX to East Coast

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Drugs smuggled by airline from PHX to East Coast

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2017, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
TSA did not find any weapons, explosives, or incendiaries in the bags.

For all we know, they found the hidden compartments, (correctly) determined that the items in the hidden compartments were not a threat to aviation, and allowed the bags to pass.
They were supposed to find a gun, drugs, explosives, and a few other items, as well. They didn't stop for search by those passengers. That's big problems! Those TSA screener should be fired or suspension from work. They breaking the rules and they didn't listen from TSA supervisor or manager.

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
TSA also did not find any anomalies in the drug smugglers bags.
Yeah! That's real problems! They didn't stop for search any illegal drugs, explosives, gun and a few other items, as well.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We're discussing this topic not thinking about the possibility that the drug bags never came close to a TSA screening station or were never touched by a TSA clerk on the way to the plane.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
We're discussing this topic not thinking about the possibility that the drug bags never came close to a TSA screening station or were never touched by a TSA clerk on the way to the plane.
Tossed over the fence or carried in through the very lax TSA security for airport employees?
Old Oct 6, 2017, 5:27 am
Original Poster

The report I heard was that many of the bags were carryons that went through TSA checkpoints.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 6:36 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Why assume that the hidden compartment is meant to hide the item from screeners? Maybe the passenger wants to hide things from the Notorious Airline Employees (TM) who we all cite as the bogeymen who steal stuff from our bags.

Yes, I'm all about Occam's Razor and Hanlon's Law; I cite them all the time.

A passenger tries to smuggle drugs in their luggage. If a TSA inspector finds the drugs, forum denizens will criticize TSA for exceeding the scope of their authority. If a TSA inspector doesn't find the drugs, forum denizens will criticize TSA for not searching thoroughly enough. I guess you can't win if you're TSA.

Oh, wait, this is TS/S. Never mind. As you were. I'm out.
Nope, I gotta go against TSA on this one.

Forget the hidden compartments. That's the whole reason why bags are screened by x-ryy - to see INSIDE hidden compartments. Plastic bags containing masses of powder? Those should have shown up on the x-ray as solid masses and triggered hand inspection, which should have revealed the plastic bags full of powder. Which in turn should have been reported to the police as apparent illegal drugs. How much does a brick of coke look like a brick of C4 on the x-ray? As opposed to a granola bar or a book? This was definitely a TSA fail.

On the other hand, TSOs interrogating someone who has a daily pill organizer or a Ziploc bag of OTC meds in their carry-on, demanding to see prescriptions or to know what each of those pills are, is a violation of TSA's "we don't search for drugs" policy.

I don't have a lot of sympathy for people who try to carry bags of coke or stashes of weed in their carry-on luggage. They know that stuff is illegal, and they know their bags are going to be screened and/or searched, yet they pack it anyway? They deserve to be busted, for stupidity alone. But people who carry legal meds, whether OTC or prescribed by a doctor, shouldn't be hassled. I know this thread doesn't deal with that topic, but it's tangential - TSOs are not supposed to search for drugs (which means no invasive questioning about personal quantities of meds), but they are supposed to trigger a hand search when the s-ray shows large, dense masses, and if they see that the mass is a couple of kilos of powder, that's enough for them to call the cops, IMHO.

By the way, we in TS&S don't all cite Notorious Airline Employees as the primary luggage thieves. We generally cite dishonest TSOs as the primary luggage thieves.
petaluma1 and WorldLux like this.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 8:55 am

A passenger tries to smuggle drugs in their luggage. If a TSA inspector finds the drugs, forum denizens will criticize TSA for exceeding the scope of their authority. If a TSA inspector doesn't find the drugs, forum denizens will criticize TSA for not searching thoroughly enough. I guess you can't win if you're TSA.
Do me a favor - the next time you see a story about a TSA Agent finding a brick of coke in a false bottom in their luggage, decides its not a danger to the aircraft, and sends the passenger on their way, please cite that here. TIA.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How Quickly We Forget...

Originally Posted by petaluma1
The report I heard was that many of the bags were carryons that went through TSA checkpoints.
SPOTNik Minetta Walker

The investigation established that while on official duty, Walker assisted certain individuals in bypassing the normal security procedures, measures, and requirements at the Buffalo Airport. The defendant’s criminal conduct included allowing one suspected narcotics trafficker to travel under a fictitious name, and permitting that individual to bypass the ticket document checker, whose job is to examine persons, property and other articles entering aircraft and the airport area at the Buffalo Airport. Walker also on occasion directed the suspected narcotic trafficker to bypass the body image scanner/pat-down security line and interfered with a screener’s ability to monitor the x-ray of his belongings.
And these "officers":

To run the operation, the man said, he gave cash and gift cards to certain TSA employees who screened passengers and luggage at Palm Beach International Airport and at Westchester County Airport in White Plains, N.Y.

The TSA officers would let him through with the drugs on his person or in his carry-on luggage, he told authorities.
Bribing is easy... For the life of me, I can't imagine this current operation taking place with out the "cooperation" of TSA "officers."
Old Oct 6, 2017, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SPOTNik Minetta Walker

And these "officers":

Bribing is easy... For the life of me, I can't imagine this current operation taking place with out the "cooperation" of TSA "officers."
If the drugs where going through a TSA checkpoint I can't imagine there not being some cooperation in play. If the drugs were coming in by employee, across the fence, or something like that then other baggage handlers would have involved.

I would be willing to bet an ice cold Coca-Cola that this wasn't the work of a person buying a ticket and just traveling like everyone else.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
SPOTNik Minetta Walker

Yeah, unfortunately, they should be fired from TSA & LEO. They didn't stop for search by those passengers. They didn't detained him. No one ever caught the criminals. No one ever bring drugs into airport security. They could be sneaking into the commercial aircraft.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 9:10 pm

I know absolutely about smuggling drugs, selling drugs, buying drugs or taking drugs, but it seems like creating suitcases with false bottoms is more work (and perhaps more risky) than necessary. You could just fill up a plastic container of baby powder with cocaine and I doubt the TSA would be able to tell the difference, in fact, I bet it wouldn't even raise any eyebrows when going through the x-ray.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 8:16 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by t325
I know absolutely about smuggling drugs, selling drugs, buying drugs or taking drugs, but it seems like creating suitcases with false bottoms is more work (and perhaps more risky) than necessary. You could just fill up a plastic container of baby powder with cocaine and I doubt the TSA would be able to tell the difference, in fact, I bet it wouldn't even raise any eyebrows when going through the x-ray.
Maybe, but it seems to be a pretty inefficient way of smuggling powdery drugs. Any more than two bottles, and you'd arouse suspicion - it is, after all, still a white powder - but I doubt you could transport more than half a kilo of the substance in a single bottle.

Honestly, smuggling drugs by air to any destination you could possibly drive to is horrendously stupid. Smuggling to an island destination or internationally might possibly be worth the risk - and the expense of the plan ticket - but anything inside a large country like the US, which doesn't have internal travel restrictions, is best smuggled by passenger vehicle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.