Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

How are Foreign Nationals Vetted for PreCheck?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How are Foreign Nationals Vetted for PreCheck?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2017, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by kb9522
I see an increasing number of foreign nationals in the PreCheck line these days... How is DHS able to properly vet these people if all of their documentation is held by a foreign government??
Permanent residents would still hold a foreign passport. DHS has already done significant vetting on them so they're not a complete unknown. Same with other visas.

The people ponying up the $$ for pre-check are likely the ones who are here long-term. So it's not a complete shocker.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 8:21 am

I see an increasing number of foreign nationals in the PreCheck line these days... How is DHS able to properly vet these people if all of their documentation is held by a foreign government??
Are you talking about people who have paid for Pre or are being given it gratis? GUWonder mentioned a few months ago that she knew of foreign nationals who were getting it without enrolling.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 8:27 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by petaluma1
Are you talking about people who have paid for Pre or are being given it gratis? GUWonder mentioned a few months ago that she knew of foreign nationals who were getting it without enrolling.
I did indeed say that, but I've been seeing this happen less in recent months than several months ago and earlier.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 8:29 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
No idea but as a FN H-1B holder with UA*G status I lucked out probably 1/10 times for pre..
As soon as I had LPR I applied for GE.

I will point out, as a visa holder working at a national lab I was already very thoroughly vetted
Old Oct 5, 2017, 10:03 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Responding to the OP, the key response is that the myth being propagated that info sharing within the US is strong and that the outside world is just a scary collection of savage hostile territories is simply inaccurate.

In particular, the federal security agencies will have a lot closer relationships with many non-US national security agencies than they will do with state or local authorities.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 8:20 pm

Programs: NEXUS; alas, no status anymore.
I suspect a lot of the Pre foreigners have trusted traveler status. I'm Canadian and I get Pre, by virtue of having NEXUS. (i.e. I have been vetted.)

NEXUS is rather a bargain: you get NEXUS, Global Entry, SENTRI and TSA Pre for only $50/5 years. The only down side is that you have to be interviewed at or near the Canadian border, or at a Canadian airport with a NEXUS centre.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA S, Marriott P
I've recently sent off my in-laws back home. They are the very definition of non-frequent traveller. Guest visa holders. Tickets were bought one-way each way. Credit card used - not in their name.
Imagine my surprise when both of them got a precheck on their tickets... Randomness?
Old Oct 7, 2017, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dsauch
I've recently sent off my in-laws back home. They are the very definition of non-frequent traveller. Guest visa holders. Tickets were bought one-way each way. Credit card used - not in their name.
Imagine my surprise when both of them got a precheck on their tickets... Randomness?
Yeah. Some of her relatives came to visit. B2 visa, two of them had never set foot in the USA before, none spoke meaningful English. We took a side trip, booked entirely on my credit card so the names didn't match but I was one of the passengers. We were 5 for 5 on pre-check. Age seems to be a big factor--my wife usually got pre-check, since I turned 50 I've been 100% on pre-check if the departure is early enough in the morning.

(And they still Jekyll-and-Hyde my wife: On US-bound flights she's liable to get SSSSed.)
Old Oct 7, 2017, 10:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Yeah. Some of her relatives came to visit. B2 visa, two of them had never set foot in the USA before, none spoke meaningful English. We took a side trip, booked entirely on my credit card so the names didn't match but I was one of the passengers. We were 5 for 5 on pre-check. Age seems to be a big factor--my wife usually got pre-check, since I turned 50 I've been 100% on pre-check if the departure is early enough in the morning.

(And they still Jekyll-and-Hyde my wife: On US-bound flights she's liable to get SSSSed.)
Age is indeed a big factor, except it doesn't do as much for avoiding haraSSSSment hits as it does for getting PreCheck hits.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Age is indeed a big factor, except it doesn't do as much for avoiding haraSSSSment hits as it does for getting PreCheck hits.
It's been a long time since she's been on a flight that I haven't also been on--and I never get SSSSed. They are picking on her for some reason--but it must be a nonsense reason because they usually give her pre-check outbound.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by petaluma1
I have no way of knowing whether the foreign nationals I've seen in PreCheck have gone through the application process and interview or have been given it for free. So I'm talking about both.

To the person who mentioned the Indian investigation process... I used to spend a lot of time in India. I recall just about anyone could be paid off for anything. I don't have much faith in the vetting process.

While we may be of the opinion that GE/PreCheck is just a fundraising effort, the stated purpose is to provide expedited clearance for low-risk travelers. Ostensibly this means DHS has an obligation to properly vet such travelers.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 1:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
It's been a long time since she's been on a flight that I haven't also been on--and I never get SSSSed. They are picking on her for some reason--but it must be a nonsense reason because they usually give her pre-check outbound.
The "foreign" name affiliation and the security contractors used.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 7:04 am

I have no way of knowing whether the foreign nationals I've seen in PreCheck have gone through the application process and interview or have been given it for free. So I'm talking about both.

To the person who mentioned the Indian investigation process... I used to spend a lot of time in India. I recall just about anyone could be paid off for anything. I don't have much faith in the vetting process.

While we may be of the opinion that GE/PreCheck is just a fundraising effort, the stated purpose is to provide expedited clearance for low-risk travelers. Ostensibly this means DHS has an obligation to properly vet such travelers.
I don't claim that the Indian background check is foolproof, but it is horrendously opaque, so

1) The long wait time for Global Entry is almost like harassment for genuine Indian travelers who pose no threat.

2) You don't know whom to pay off to expedite your background check, and there is no way for the you to follow up once you've applied for Indian leg of your background check.

It seems to me like the process simply weeds out Indians with less patience, like a lot of government offices in India.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The "foreign" name affiliation and the security contractors used.
However, most of the time it's out of PVG (which makes the whole thing moot anyway, SSSS does nothing there) and most of the plane has foreign names. (Although she's probably rare in having a Chinese + German name--although it must have come from the 19th century or earlier.)
Old Dec 16, 2017, 7:27 pm

To further your point about being able to pay off anyone in India to do anything - I did go for police verification in my hometown in India. They did want a bribe, though they didn't say that in as many words. However, this is the only phase in the India leg of Global Entry\TSA Pre vetting that involves face-to-face contact with a government official. Everything else happens behind the scenes.

Also - it is the Indian government which insisted that all Indian nationals applying for Global Entry be vetted by the Indian government. This was not an original condition for Global Entry\TSA Pre application.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.