Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New passport = less CBSA hassle?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2017, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

New passport = less CBSA hassle?

US citizen. So, the very first time I ever went to Canada, we were driving there, and at the border crossing (Sarnia maybe?), we were pulled over for secondary search. Don't know why. We were allowed in after 15 minutes of questioning and them searching the vehicle. No big deal.

After that trip, I had never been back to Canada. Fast forward about 8 years to last year when I started going to Canada (flying to YYZ) for work, about 3 or 4 times a year, using the same passport I used on that previous road trip. Every single time, I was sent to secondary questioning at YYZ. I figured it was due to me checking "Business" for reason for visit on my declaration. I was never denied entry, but it was sometimes a hassle. Once I spent over an hour in the secondary line. I figured out that every time the kiosk at immigration would print an X plus some number on my receipt, and that X meant I was going to secondary.

Earlier in the year, I renewed my passport. Today was my second time entering Canada for work on the new one. Both times, no X on the kiosk receipt. No questioning at all. Both times the agent standing in front of the desks looked briefly at my receipt, looked at my passport, and waved me through without a stamp and without uttering anything than "Have a good day"

It makes me wonder if my old passport was somehow flagged from the very first time I drove to Canada. If my old passport was on a naughty list, I'm surprised simply renewing it was enough to get off, I figured the US would share enough data with Canada to link the two. I have an extremely uncommon last name, I'm possibly the only person in the world with my first name/last name combination.

I'm certainly not complaining, and I hope my future entries into Canada are this easy. Anyone else experience anything similar after renewing?
Old Oct 2, 2017, 2:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
People, not passports, are "flagged". (not quite as all passports associated would refer back to OP).

If there was a reason to send you to secondary last year, it either remains current or not.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 3:44 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Some passport numbers are flagged, but most commonly along with other details.

But a change of passport/passport number can help to avoid some flagging problems.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 8:27 am

Maybe old passport didn’t have all the information and as secure as newer ones, maybe Kiosk is able to extract all information from newer passport vs older ones.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 6:39 am

What about older passport not having a chip? Or by now they all do?
Old Oct 11, 2017, 7:57 am

All current US passports have a chip.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 11:55 am

As of August, all the non e-Passports should have hit their 10 year expiration date.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

My old passport had a chip. Maybe the 9 year old mugshot tripped up the facial recognition on the kiosk? I did lose some weight since then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.