Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Airports which Allow Non-Passengers Airside Access

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airports which Allow Non-Passengers Airside Access

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2017, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Pittsburgh Airport to give non-passengers airside access

TSA has been approved for Pittsburgh to go through at security with non-ticketed passengers. The first US Airport non-ticketed is allowed go beyond at security since 9/11.

http://atwonline.com/security/post-9...airside-access

Let see what happen. Hopefully all US Airports will allowed go beyond at security checkpoints with non-ticketed passengers.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 6:11 am

Why would anyone want to be subjected to being sexually assaulted by the TSA to go shopping or eat dinner.

Did you read of the steps people will have to take to do this?

A member of the public will be able to access PIT’s airside area by checking in, showing a valid photo ID (driver’s license or passport) and having his or her name vetted against TSA’s no-fly list. The person will then be given a stamped myPITpass and will have to go through a security checkpoint as a boarding passenger would.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by petaluma1
Why would anyone want to be subjected to being sexually assaulted by the TSA to go shopping or eat dinner.
My guess is to meet people in transit.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 11:12 am

Just buy a refundable ticket...
Old Aug 29, 2017, 11:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

Did you read of the steps people will have to take to do this?

Can these nonpassengers get PreCheck?
Old Aug 29, 2017, 11:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
How? No BP no PreCheck. Sure you could buy a refundable ticket but what a hassle.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 11:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I don't have a reference, but this has come up. Someone with PreCheck got a gate pass to accompany a family member needing assistance to the gate, IIRC. He didn't get PreCheck because the gate pass doesn't undergo the same checks a pax does when s/he purchases a ticket.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 12:09 pm

It's obvious that nobody read the article linked to in the OP. The purpose of this program is to:

In conjunction with the US Transportation Security Administration (TSA), PIT has developed a program in which non-ticketed persons can get a “myPITpass” that enables them to go through security checkpoints and access the airport’s shops and restaurants between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday-Friday. The first day of the program will be Sept. 5.
So again I ask: why would anyone subject themselves to potential sexual assault in order to shop or dine?
cafeconleche likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 1:31 pm

It's obvious that nobody read the article linked to in the OP. The purpose of this program is to:

So again I ask: why would anyone subject themselves to potential sexual assault in order to shop or dine?
Some people like that sort of thing. I'm sure if it was marketed right it could be a major money earner
Old Aug 29, 2017, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Tisbutascratch
Some people like that sort of thing. I'm sure if it was marketed right it could be a major money earner
What? Being sexually assaulted?
u01sss3 likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
MyPITpass - PIT allowing airside access to non-flyers

Cool news out of PIT. They've started a program called My PIT Pass which allows non-travelers get access airside, ostensibly for dropping off or meeting passengers, or even just shopping/dining.

Looks like it's free, just need to register at an Allegiant check-in counter, and subject to regular TSA screening.

http://www.flypittsburgh.com/program...rams/mypitpass

What do you think? Good, bad, indifferent? Could be a good thing, hearkening back to the good ol' days.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Honors Gold, JetSmarter, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Cool news out of PIT. They've started a program called My PIT Pass which allows non-travelers get access airside, ostensibly for dropping off or meeting passengers, or even just shopping/dining.

Looks like it's free, just need to register at an Allegiant check-in counter, and subject to regular TSA screening.

http://www.flypittsburgh.com/program...rams/mypitpass

What do you think? Good, bad, indifferent? Could be a good thing, hearkening back to the good ol' days.

Looks pretty neat! Wish I utilized PIT more, but hopefully more airports will implement it. At the same time, this will cause some airports to be so overpopulated and even more busy
Old Aug 29, 2017, 3:03 pm

Programs: Nothing spectacular
I sure hope it expands to more airports! Being able to hang out inside Tom Bradley would be a dream come true.

I've heard many concerns from people who think that this will increase security lines and crowding. However, very few people (outside of avgeeks) would choose to go to an airport if they don't absolutely have to.
mike.macrone likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by theflyingguyblog
However, very few people (outside of avgeeks) would choose to go to an airport if they don't absolutely have to.
As a sidenote, when I was growing up in ATL, I had a friend whose parents' convenience store was close to the airport. When he and his little brother got bored, his mom would sometimes take them to the airport to ride the underground trains. Good times...

Would be really good for greeting arriving passengers, in particular, minors, returning military, kids returning from school, elderly parents, etc.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Honors Gold, JetSmarter, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by theflyingguyblog
I sure hope it expands to more airports! Being able to hang out inside Tom Bradley would be a dream come true.

I've heard many concerns from people who think that this will increase security lines and crowding. However, very few people (outside of avgeeks) would choose to go to an airport if they don't absolutely have to.
Good point! I guess for me since I fly every week, I would not need any more reasons to go hahah. But it definitely sounds like a good idea, and a way for the airport to bring in extra money

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.