Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page > MyPITpass - PIT allowing airside access to non-flyers

MyPITpass - PIT allowing airside access to non-flyers

Old Sep 2, 17, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog View Post
If they are screened who cares?

Doesn't that exact situation exist today given that TSA refuses to conduct 100% screening of airport workers?
Yep! Unless something has changed dramatically, airport workers(the ones who work for the airport) are not screened, at least some airports. I know, as my dad worked at one. He literally entered the secured area straight from the employee lot, which he accessed by showing his badge at the guard post. Granted, he did have a thorough background check post-9/11, but still, that doesn't seem to matter to the pro-everything-for-security crowd. Every day he went in to the airport with screw drivers, knives, and numerous other tools the TSA would **** in the pants over. What is funny is every once in a while he would have to go over and work on something in the unsecured area. A few times he tried to go back through the employee line and the TSA would harass him and declare that he couldn't take his tools with him. So he would walk 20 feet away, swipe his badge, and walk through the back entrance to by-pass the check point.
Old Sep 3, 17, 12:14 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Exclamation Moderator's Note: Topic Drift

Folks,

The subject of this thread is airside access to non-flyers at the Pittsburgh airport.

If you wish to debate security screening of airport workers, we have plenty of threads debating the pros and cons of that issue.

Thank you for understanding,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Sep 3, 17, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't see any issue with having non-flyers past the security checkpoint unless doing so creates a delay at security for ticketed travelers. For me that would be the deal breaker. I just can't get concerned over some GA worrying about a passenger being replaced by someone else. Both have been equally screened by screeners.
Old Sep 5, 17, 11:47 am

Programs: Gold Member (UA, HH, MR, SPG, IHG); Avis PP
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog View Post
I don't see any issue with having non-flyers past the security checkpoint unless doing so creates a delay at security for ticketed travelers. For me that would be the deal breaker. I just can't get concerned over some GA worrying about a passenger being replaced by someone else. Both have been equally screened by screeners.
They specifically address the former question by saying they will prioritize travelers vs. non-travelers during busy/peak times to ensure flights aren't missed due to increased volumes in the lines. Not sure how it will be implemented, but they're thinking about it.
Old Sep 5, 17, 1:35 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by gobluetwo View Post
They specifically address the former question by saying they will prioritize travelers vs. non-travelers during busy/peak times to ensure flights aren't missed due to increased volumes in the lines. Not sure how it will be implemented, but they're thinking about it.
The only way I can see prioritizing as being practical is to have the TDC shunting non-travelers into a separate queue, and dividing screening resources appropriately (i.e. more traveler lanes with more screening personnel open than non-traveler lanes).
Old Sep 8, 17, 8:49 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K, AA EXP, Kimpton IC, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Omni Black, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by jkhuggins View Post
From a different news article:

I have a vague memory that the latest major remodel at PIT in the late 90s had as its intention that the airport would double as a shopping destination as well as an airport. My memory is that the concourses were much wider than for other airports of the time, specifically because they were anticipating and hoping to promote wider traffic.

And then, (1) 9/11 happened, restricting concourses to ticketed passengers, and (2) USAir pulled out of Pittsburgh as a hub, which drove traffic through those concourses down substantially. I'm sure they've been trying to find ways to reverse that.
Yes. They even called it the Air Mall.

Originally Posted by MrAndy1369 View Post
I thought this wasn't new at all? IIRC, PIT always had an option for non-ticketed passengers to go through security to the mall. I could be misremembering, though.
Not since 9/11. PIT has been lobbying for this access for the last 16 years, because of how the airport was built to double as a mall, but the TSA has balked until now.

Remember that PIT has a significant number of screening lanes, with multiple ways of getting to them. It is one of the least impacted by long lines at security.
Old Sep 9, 17, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines AAdvantage, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by N1120A View Post
Yes. They even called it the Air Mall.
Right! If you want to buy airplane models, DVD, and a nice outfits, as well.
Old Sep 9, 17, 6:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, HH Dia, Marriott Gld, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by N1120A View Post
Not since 9/11. PIT has been lobbying for this access for the last 16 years, because of how the airport was built to double as a mall, but the TSA has balked until now.
I thought I read in some article that PIT has actually already been doing this in a limited capacity since 2014? Maybe just weekends or holidays ... can't remember.
Old Sep 11, 17, 10:20 pm

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Looks like it's free, just need to register at an Allegiant check-in counter, and subject to regular TSA screening.
I can understand the airport's desire for it, but I don't think it is fair to the airlines and pax who are paying TSA"s "Security Fees". TSA describes those fees as:
Security Fees

TSA has implemented congressionally mandated security fees to help finance the increased cost of securing the nation's aviation transportation system. The revenue generated from these security fees is utilized to help ensure the safe and efficient flow of people and commerce.
Source: TSA.gov - Security Fees

The fees weren't intended to make an airport mall more profitable!
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Sep 12, 17, 5:19 am

Programs: NZ *G
This is the situation at all Australian Domestic terminals.... get screened as normal and go through. Came as a surprise to me as most of my travel is International ex-SYD... Ive been given a lift to the local airport by friends...then taken them to the Lounge for breakfast and farewells....

I doubt if many folks NOT meeting/accompanying travellers ever go there though....
Old Sep 12, 17, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by trooper View Post
This is the situation at all Australian Domestic terminals.... get screened as normal and go through. Came as a surprise to me as most of my travel is International ex-SYD... Ive been given a lift to the local airport by friends...then taken them to the Lounge for breakfast and farewells....

I doubt if many folks NOT meeting/accompanying travellers ever go there though....
In those domestic terminals, do travelers have to be vetted in order to get a pass to go through the normal screening line and do they face a whole body grope in order to do so?
Old Sep 12, 17, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by petaluma1 View Post
In those domestic terminals, do travelers have to be vetted in order to get a pass...
What do you mean by "vetted"? According to the program description, you just show a valid ID (DL, Passport) and the check-in counter in order to receive your pass. I'm sure they do put you on some list in order to validate at the checkpoint that you were, in fact, the person who picked up the pass, but that's a far cry from what I would consider vetting someone.
Old Sep 12, 17, 9:37 am

What do you mean by "vetted"? According to the program description, you just show a valid ID (DL, Passport) and the check-in counter in order to receive your pass. I'm sure they do put you on some list in order to validate at the checkpoint that you were, in fact, the person who picked up the pass, but that's a far cry from what I would consider vetting someone.
A member of the public will be able to access PITís airside area by checking in, showing a valid photo ID (driverís license or passport) and having his or her name vetted against TSAís no-fly list.
Old Sep 12, 17, 9:54 am

Thanks, can you point me to the link from which you're quoting? The official program website (which I linked in my original post, before it was merged into this thread) doesn't mention that.

Also, are you suggesting that the vetting portion of the program is overly invasive from a privacy perspective, or just annoying, or potentially time-consuming?
Old Sep 12, 17, 10:07 am

Thanks, can you point me to the link from which you're quoting? The official program website (which I linked in my original post, before it was merged into this thread) doesn't mention that.

Also, are you suggesting that the vetting portion of the program is overly invasive from a privacy perspective, or just annoying, or potentially time-consuming?
From the original link:

http://atwonline.com/security/post-9...airside-access

All 3: overly invasive, annoying and time consuming.

Search this Thread