FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate-687/)
-   -   Humiliated at ATL [private - non-TSA security screening] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/1863885-humiliated-atl-private-non-tsa-security-screening.html)

CosmosHuman Aug 29, 2017 4:03 am

Humiliated at ATL [private - non-TSA security screening]

I learned a lesson. Went through immigration and customs (I have GE). Coming off LHR DL flight I followed the sign for connecting flights. I had no checked luggage. Bad idea. I was subjected to private non-TSA security who groped me (in a private room) with two non-TSA agents or whatever they call themselves. They said my tshirt was too bling and set off the nude-o-scope. It was a decal, plastic, no belt or metal on me. I was terribly afraid that my items would get ripped off as my iPad and mobile phone plus purse were on top over my items.

They kept on telling me they weren't TSA. They acted like storm troopers. I felt like I was being shaken down as a prisoner. What they did to me, TSA would have blushed.

Next time I'm going the other way through the exit and then re-enter ATL.

petaluma1 Aug 29, 2017 5:51 am

Could you have been deceived by people pretending to be security? There are many complaints that come out of ATL about TSA but I have never read one about non-TSA.

jphripjah Aug 29, 2017 6:18 am

Were they Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers? CBP officers can perform a pat down search in a private room if they have suspicion that you have contraband under your body.

CBP officers do sometimes act like storm troopers and don't like being confused with TSA.

petaluma1 Aug 29, 2017 6:24 am

Originally Posted by jphripjah (Post 28749653)
Were they Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers? CBP officers can perform a pat down search in a private room if they have suspicion that you have contraband under your body.

CBP officers do sometimes act like storm troopers and don't like being confused with TSA.

OP indicates he/she went through customs via GE and had gone through WBI. Does CPB also operate in TSA territory?

ajeleonard Aug 29, 2017 6:27 am

- Did you enter the TSA screening area (you mention your shirt set off the "nude-o-scope", implying you did?
- Did a TSA agent direct you to follow the instructions of a non-TSA agent?
- Specifically what about the secondary inspection was "humiliating"

CosmosHuman Aug 29, 2017 7:26 am

This was private security from the airport. Not TSA not CBP. They kept on telling me they aren't TSA but from the airport. They were dressed in uniforms with a private label security company. I followed the signs to connecting flights after I was done with CBP. There was no TSA in the area at all. These people were very aggressive yelling at everyone to take their electronics out, coats off, and shoes off. They also told me they aren't TSA and aging don't follow their rules nor respect that I have GE. They just didn't give a rats you know what about me or any other passenger. There were several elderly people there as well and they said anyone over age 75 can leave their shoes on.

Originally Posted by ajeleonard (Post 28749689)
- Did you enter the TSA screening area (you mention your shirt set off the "nude-o-scope", implying you did?
- Did a TSA agent direct you to follow the instructions of a non-TSA agent?
- Specifically what about the secondary inspection was "humiliating"

Being felt up and aggressively manhandeled is what I felt. There was no TSA agents at all. They said my shirt with a plastic decal set the scope off. My private parts were felt up in an aggressive manor.

Originally Posted by jphripjah (Post 28749653)

These people were not CBP.

Boggie Dog Aug 29, 2017 7:40 am

Your postings are confusing. Were these people armed with guns? Had you cleared Customs and Immigration? Were you headed out of the airport or to another flight?

TWA884 Aug 29, 2017 9:28 am

There was talk last year of privatizing security screening at ATL. Perhaps the security screening for connecting passengers arriving on international flights is a test or a pilot program.
Atlanta to revive idea of privatizing airport security screening, says mayor

Excerpt:

But Reed said Monday that the city has been in conversations with San Francisco International Airport, which privatized its security screening.

“We’re going to explore that and see if it’s the best decision,” Reed said. “The lines are very concerning to me…. We’re going to do every single thing we can do, and it’s going to have urgency to it.”

CosmosHuman Aug 29, 2017 9:29 am

No guns whatsoever. I cleared CBP, headed to a connecting domestic flight. these were not TSA or CBP agents, they were private security. They said they do not follow TSA rules/regs.

MSPeconomist Aug 29, 2017 9:33 am

Did you go through regular TSA security too?

We're "arriving" international passengers at ATL also subject to this?

LHR flight would have been late morning or early afternoon, right, so during the business day?

CosmosHuman Aug 29, 2017 9:36 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 28750578)
Did you go through regular TSA security too?

NO.

We're "arriving" international passengers at ATL also subject to this?

I had a connecting domestic flight.

LHR flight would have been late morning or early afternoon, right, so during the business day?

Yes, during business day, afternoon arrival.

ajeleonard Aug 29, 2017 9:37 am

Sounds like you need to make a complaint to Atlanta airport.

At a minimum they have misled you, if they were private contractors undertaking security screening instead of the TSA then they do still need to follow TSA regs.

Keep you complaint factual and objective to be effective, no "stormtroopers" references

CosmosHuman Aug 29, 2017 9:46 am

Originally Posted by ajeleonard (Post 28750617)
Sounds like you need to make a complaint to Atlanta airport.

At a minimum they have misled you, if they were private contractors undertaking security screening instead of the TSA then they do still need to follow TSA regs.

Keep you complaint factual and objective to be effective, no "stormtroopers" references

I'll leave out the Star Wars reference. ;) Who would I complain to? I really don't expect anything to happen, but I will think twice about ever flying through ATL again. Even if it means going out of my way.

petaluma1 Aug 29, 2017 10:00 am

Originally Posted by CosmosHuman (Post 28750658)
I'll leave out the Star Wars reference. ;) Who would I complain to? I really don't expect anything to happen, but I will think twice about ever flying through ATL again. Even if it means going out of my way.

Here's a link for contact info at the airport. I'd start with the airport police:

http://www.atl.com/contact-us/

You should also file a complaint with the DHS IG:

https://hotline.oig.dhs.gov/hotline/hotline.php

chollie Aug 29, 2017 10:41 am

Even if it's a test of private security contractors, the 'screener' lied when he said they are not subject to TSA rules.

Of course, that doesn't really mean much, because the rules are whatever the screener says they are, so a private contractor is free to make it up, just like TSA employees do.