Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

who's requiring airlines to ask US green card holders personal questions at check-in?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

who's requiring airlines to ask US green card holders personal questions at check-in?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2017, 2:57 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by jphripjah
I don't think this had anything to do with green card v. citizen.

I'm a US citizen. Sometimes I get this grilling returning from Europe. Sometimes they skip me and grill someone else.
It has to do with "security" theater, and it's indeed not a US citizen vs US LPR thing.

The interrogators for these flights are paid to show up and make it seem like they are doing something that satisfies those who employed them, those who pay their employer, and those who required that there be this dog and pony show in the name of "security".
Old Oct 11, 2017, 3:55 pm

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
I almost always get this (traveling on a US passport) when flying AA from Europe.

LHR T3 is the worst. "What company do you work for? Who's the CEO?" My standard answer is that I work at VersaLife and Bob Page is the CEO.

Weirdly, BA at LHR T5 don't seem to have this, so perhaps they're an exception to this US government mandate somehow?
Old Oct 11, 2017, 4:03 pm

This is unique to US and Israeli carriers.

The crazy questions are overwhelmingly from American Airlines and their contracted ground staff.

See this thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...solidated.htmlhttps://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1731956-aa-enhanced-airport-security-screening-questions-procedures-2016-consolidated.html

It isn't about citizenship, Global Entry, etc. They approach everyone as a potential terrorist, and seem to like asking questions that are insanely personal, inappropriate, rude, crossing ethical boundaries, etc.

Although there are a few reported exceptions, the other airlines just ask if you packed your bags yourself. They don't ask for the names of your children, pets, or boss.

Airline check-in staff should tag bags, print boarding cards, etc. They should not be in the business of pop psychology mind games.

If you want to take their online class on security questioning, it's open to the public (that tells you something right there).
Old Oct 11, 2017, 4:51 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Mats
If you want to take their online class on security questioning, it's open to the public (that tells you something right there).
I'm curious about that. Can you provide more information?
Old Oct 11, 2017, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by jphripjah
I'm curious about that. Can you provide more information?
Be prepared to laugh at the pseudoscience.
Not to brag, but I got 100 on the test. I even have my certificate

http://http://chameleonassociates.co...ioning-online/

The best part of the course is a slide featuring Israeli actress Gila Almagor. They ask, "What do you think this woman does for a living?" I thought, "That's Gila Almagor. She's an actress." Probably best not to use a celebrity as your example photo.

The course does not include my all-time fave question from AAmerican AAirlines: "Who was your school headmaster?" That's tight security right there. I'm sure that Richard Reid and Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab had headmasters at their schools. And they probably knew their names too.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 6:31 am

Be prepared to laugh at the pseudoscience.
Not to brag, but I got 100 on the test. I even have my certificate

http://http://chameleonassociates.co...ioning-online/

The best part of the course is a slide featuring Israeli actress Gila Almagor. They ask, "What do you think this woman does for a living?" I thought, "That's Gila Almagor. She's an actress." Probably best not to use a celebrity as your example photo.

The course does not include my all-time fave question from AAmerican AAirlines: "Who was your school headmaster?" That's tight security right there. I'm sure that Richard Reid and Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab had headmasters at their schools. And they probably knew their names too.
Site Cannot Be Found

Try: https://chameleonassociates.com/secu...ioning-online/

Click on the Demo button. Then be patient - it's long and boring, <deleted>.

Last edited by TWA884; Oct 12, 2017 at 10:17 am Reason: Gross disparaging generalization of TSA personnel (please refer to this forum's sticky post)
Old Oct 12, 2017, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And I have no idea of the headmaster of any school I ever attended. I guess I must be a terrorist.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 4:29 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
And I have no idea of the headmaster of any school I ever attended. I guess I must be a terrorist.
I once heard such a ridiculous question being asked of a US LPR I knew. I responded to the question (asked not of me) by saying “are you’re being sexist by assuming that the principals of schools are men? And so should we also assume that you will be racist in your questions?”. The look on the guy’s face was priceless.

My last round of ridiculous questions in the name of “security”was when flying US carriers this week, but I’ve seen some such questions also when flying VS out of say MAN.

Being a US citizen, US LPR, or otherwise a US person, the ridiculous questions when flying US carriers are at their worst for US nationals and LPRs and others who don’t fit into some simple stereotype in the mind of these interrogators.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I once heard such a ridiculous question being asked of a US LPR I knew. I responded to the question (asked not of me) by saying “are you’re being sexist by assuming that the principals of schools are men? And so should we also assume that you will be racist in your questions?”. The look on the guy’s face was priceless.

My last round of ridiculous questions in the name of “security”was when flying US carriers this week, but I’ve seen some such questions also when flying VS out of say MAN.

Being a US citizen, US LPR, or otherwise a US person, the ridiculous questions when flying US carriers are at their worst for US nationals and LPRs and others who don’t fit into some simple stereotype in the mind of these interrogators.

GUWunder High five for the sexism remark.
I was thinking of something even more evil: "The headmaster? What have you heard? Do you think the allegations are true? Where did you read it?" Questions like that are bound to make Mr. or Ms. Swissport uncomfortable, and it also calls their bluff: they have no idea what the correct answer is. (Indeed there were incidents at my school, so I'd have no trouble forking over excesses of information.)

As for the CEO question, I as also thinking of something to horrify them. "That was ONE TIME at the meeting in Orlando. We'd both had a few too many, and I knew that things were rocky with her husband... How did you find out? Who told you?"

Years ago, Virgin had a particularly weird one. They would take your phone ask, "Who was the last person you called?" I can safely say that I have NO IDEA who I called last or why. I think a nice Seinfeld-ish answer would be good. "Oh, I know who I called. It was the dermatologists' office about the anti-fungal cream. I think it's making it worse. Do you know any thing about skin fungus?"

They key is to be dead serious and to keep talking. It still might get an SSSS but it would be worth it.
cafeconleche likes this.

Last edited by Mats; Oct 14, 2017 at 9:21 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.