Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page > Global Entry @ LAX - now searching carry on's?

Global Entry @ LAX - now searching carry on's?

Old Aug 23, 17, 7:53 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, AA EXP, Starwood Platinum, National EXC Elite
Global Entry @ LAX - now searching carry on's?

Experienced this on my monthly trips since July - go to the agent with my print out (no X marks) and he/she directs me to a second stand for carry on bag search. Has never happened before. FWIW, this has been ex 192 from HKG, that I have begrudgingly taken (read prior posts) and never happens in SFO ex a CX flight.... What gives? Rather mitigates whole point of GE....
Old Aug 23, 17, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You posted something similar on this before, and, as well, it's not an AA-specific topic.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28701746-post187.html
Old Aug 23, 17, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by prw555 View Post
Experienced this on my monthly trips since July - go to the agent with my print out (no X marks) and he/she directs me to a second stand for carry on bag search. Has never happened before. FWIW, this has been ex 192 from HKG, that I have begrudgingly taken (read prior posts) and never happens in SFO ex a CX flight.... What gives? Rather mitigates whole point of GE....
I've been sent to have my bag searched once in 5+ years with GE. So, it happens from time to time, but not at all frequently in my experience. (Note: I assume this kind of search can also happen if you don't have Global Entry, so the advantage to Global Entry is that you breeze through the process 95% of the time, not that it makes you immune to any inspections under all circumstances.)
jphripjah likes this.
Old Aug 23, 17, 8:14 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas

Programs: US/AA, HHonors, Hertz
As this is much more of a TSA/Travel Safety & Security issue than AA, I'll move this over to the TSS-->Debate forum.

If the discussion evolves back to AA, I can move it back here.

Thanks!

aztimm
Old Aug 29, 17, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AF Club 2000, US/AA 1.03MM
I've had it happen when arriving from the UA NRT-LAX (origin was CTU). When I handed my GE slip (I'm a NEXUS holder), I was directed to put my bag on the agriculture belt. The agriculture inspectors didn't do anything else to the bag, and told me that I was cleared.

At first, I hesitated because I thought the CBP officer was just directing me out the normal way and not under the rope and into the agriculture area.
Old Aug 31, 17, 6:36 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K, AA EXP, Kimpton IC, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Omni Black, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
This does happen once in a while. I don't think there has been some sort of increase, though harassing GE people with immigration questions has been on the uptick - especially at LAX.

Search this Thread