Mass Transit Whole Body Scanners

Old Aug 17, 2017, 1:57 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: oneword Emerald
Mass Transit Whole Body Scanners

ABC News:
Body scanners being piloted in Los Angeles subway system

Excerpts:

The machines use sensors to scan a person as they walk through, searching for firearms and explosive compounds, said Dave Sotero, a Metro spokesman. Passengers don't need to unload laptops or take off their jackets or shoes as the radio waves scan them to detect anomalies.

Each machine is designed to scan about 600 people per hour, Sotero said. About 150,000 passengers ride on Metro's Red Line daily, he said.

"This is designed so you don't have to wait," Sotero said. "The idea is that you have a continuous flow of people through the security system without causing a backlog and causing people to miss their trains."

Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Two Things...

1. When you look at the machine, it sure looks like a backscatter Cancer Box. I'm not sure you can miniaturize MMW generators to fit into something that thin. Their brochure does not even mention the imaging technology used, which makes me even more suspect. Their health & safety certifications are pending but they are using them on citizens in LA regardless. Good Heavens!

2. Guess what? Chris McLaughlin, the VP of the company that makes this thing, just happens to have been FSD at Denver and the Assistant Administrator for Security Operations.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 5:26 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Lots of info at the following links. Interesting info. Sounds like magic and just $60K.

From deep in the pdf (second link):

Millimeter wave fused with
other sensors feeds automated detection
algorithms
https://evolvtechnology.com/security...lty-screening/

https://evolvtechnology.com/wp-conte..._Datasheet.pdf
Old Aug 18, 2017, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
Lots of info at the following links. Interesting info. Sounds like magic and just $60K.

From the 2nd link.

Health and Safety Compliance is pending.

If a person can walk through a scanner without stopping then that would be an improvement over the current way things are being done at airports. If x-ray type scanners are involved then I would not be in favor of deployment.

The big issue is almost a certainty, get TSA involved and it will probably be fouled up in short order.
DeafBlonde and petaluma1 like this.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
1. When you look at the machine, it sure looks like a backscatter Cancer Box. I'm not sure you can miniaturize MMW generators to fit into something that thin. Their brochure does not even mention the imaging technology used, which makes me even more suspect. Their health & safety certifications are pending but they are using them on citizens in LA regardless. Good Heavens!

2. Guess what? Chris McLaughlin, the VP of the company that makes this thing, just happens to have been FSD at Denver and the Assistant Administrator for Security Operations.
Now ain't that a big surprise?

Will TSA be on hand to pull every 4th traveler aside to be sexually assaulted?
Old Aug 18, 2017, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails

Wow -- I must need new bifocals...
Old Aug 22, 2017, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
How soon until they will have one of these things outside my front door, that I will need to walk through to go out anywhere in the world?
petaluma1 likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 7:16 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Time to start wearing my tin foil hat and cape.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much

Uh-oh! Sounds like old BKSX scanner again. They will not like that. They will get cancer. That's a problem.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 4:43 pm

TSA is Testing New Technology at Penn Station

It says in this article (https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/27/tsa-...th-amtrak.html) that the TSA is testing new technology in Penn Station.

1. Is this any type of body scanner? Does it emit MMW or any other radition?

2. Should one be concerned about this?

Last edited by guflyer; Feb 27, 2018 at 4:44 pm Reason: The link was previously left out.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 5:02 pm

The article says: An alarm would go off on the equipment operator's laptop, triggered by an individual's "naturally occurring emissions from the human body."

Didn't the supreme court say that using this type of tech on people's homes violated the 4th amendment? So why do these folks think that running it on human persons is any more permissible?
Old Feb 27, 2018, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Didn't TSA try this in airports on people not in the screening lanes a few years back?
Old Feb 27, 2018, 6:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by javabytes
How soon until they will have one of these things outside my front door, that I will need to walk through to go out anywhere in the world?
Slow down there buddy! You think you can just walk around your house with god knows what? Some of those rooms have windows. What if there's a motorcade in the area?

You will need to be screened to enter the clean zone around all exterior doors and windows.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 3:07 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Didn't TSA try this in airports on people not in the screening lanes a few years back?
Yes, BOS, for example something I had mentioned in another thread or more on this topic.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by guflyer
It says in this article (https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/27/tsa-...th-amtrak.html) that the TSA is testing new technology in Penn Station.

1. Is this any type of body scanner? Does it emit MMW or any other radition?

2. Should one be concerned about this?
I heard last night that it's an MMW scanner that seeks items blocking normal body emissions. Two different types were tested in Penn Station, a big spotlight-like thing and a detector in a rather large box. Good part: TSA is not going to be involved in day-to-day operations if these things are installed.

My thoughts: How is this going to stop a bad guy from setting off the explosives on his vest? If he's a suicide bomber, isn't he going to set it off as soon as he knows he's been detected?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.