Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

ExtortionCheck Sales Pitch - Passport Renewal

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ExtortionCheck Sales Pitch - Passport Renewal

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2017, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
No, NEXUS. You're reading the wrong column. Says NEXUS is $50 and SENTRI is $122.50
You are absolutely correct, I got the wrong column. No Nexus enrollment centers in my state. Are they only in states that border Canada?
Old Aug 15, 2017, 10:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Randyk47
I think there are a few Federal agencies that offer PreCheck and that may include DHS but I know for sure DoD does. DoD does not provide enrollment in Global Entry so my wife has a KTN through her status as an Army employee and a PassID through her personal GE enrollment. She uses the GE PassID in her airline profiles.
Interestingly enough, someone (not me) just asked about this on TSA's twitter.

TSA's response:

TSA Pre✓® is available to members of the Armed Forces & DOD civilians. All others will need to apply.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 11:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by chollie
Interestingly enough, someone (not me) just asked about this on TSA's twitter.

TSA's response:

TSA Pre✓® is available to members of the Armed Forces & DOD civilians. All others will need to apply.
Yes. There's a number on the back of their Common Access Card (CAC) that they can use as their KTN. Can't remember when that went into effect for sure but it's been like that for two to three years maybe longer. It does not apply to retired DoD members.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
If you don't mind my asking, why did you decide in favor of the GE PassID instead of the DOD KTN? Do all DOD employees get a KTN or just those that travel for work?

Seems kind of weird that you can effectively have two KTNs active at the same time. I didn't think that was possible with regular GE/PreCheck/Sentri/Nexus.
I have two numbers. I got Pre first (No GE location near me, not a lot of international flights at that time) and then last year when my travel profile changed I went ahead and got GE. Both KTNs are active.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I Think I Found The Event...

Originally Posted by Randyk47
I honestly don't remember the story behind extending PreCheck to DoD uniformed members and civilian employees. DoD didn't make a big deal of it at the time, at least not in the sense that there was a big official announcement on why or how they reached that agreement. There might have been a behind the scenes agreement not to further embarrass DHS. I know wife traveled for a number of years with just the DoD provided KTN with no issues. Of course she was traveling extensively at the time and also had advanced frequent flyer status so she was getting PreCheck regularly even without the DoD KTN. We debated switching to the GE PassID when she enrolled in that program but finally decided to use it instead of the DoD KTN.
I think this humiliation of a disabled vet is what triggered the TSA to give ExtortionCheck to the active duty military (July 2013):

A wounded Purple Heart Marine's humiliating experience at a security checkpoint in California has left supporters and an assemblyman outraged.

The extra scrutiny faced by Marine Cpl. Nathan Kemnitz last month — prompted because he was wearing “too much metal” — is the latest incident highlighting how injured veterans tackle strict security measures in a post-9/11 world.

Kemnitz’s supporters told the Military Times there was no need for the mistreatment by workers — and even wrote Veterans Affairs Secretary Eric Shinseki about the incident.

“What does a uniform and heroism represent if our own citizens — in this case employees of the TSA and security personnel — have no regard for them?” wrote Patricia Martin, veterans services coordinator at Pasadena City College who was also with Kemnitz when he went through security.
Of course, the TSA sees things differently when they finally rolled this out six months later:

As the result of the ongoing partnership with the Department of Defense (DoD), starting tomorrow, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) will officially extend TSA Pre✓™ expedited screening benefits to all U.S. Armed Forces service members. Service members, including those serving in the U.S. Coast Guard, Reserves and National Guard will be able to enjoy the benefits of this expedited screening program at more than 100 participating airports when flying on nine major U.S. airlines.
I don't know when or why they extended this to civilians. Perhaps a general went through ExtortionCheck and his civilian exec went through the Cancer Box? Who knows...
Old Aug 15, 2017, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
If you don't mind my asking, why did you decide in favor of the GE PassID instead of the DOD KTN? Do all DOD employees get a KTN or just those that travel for work?

Seems kind of weird that you can effectively have two KTNs active at the same time. I didn't think that was possible with regular GE/PreCheck/Sentri/Nexus.
I had retired from DoD.....actually the US Army as a civilian.....and had lost my DoD provided KTN. Decided I liked PreCheck but at the time the closest PreCheck enrollment office was 100 miles from my house. There was a GE enrollment office at the airport some 9 miles away so I figured it would cost me more in gas (it was like $3.60/gallon back then) than the $15 extra for GE so I enrolled in GE. Mrs K had PreCheck through DoD but not GE and the more she read the more she wanted GE for our then upcoming foreign travel. Six overseas trips and re-entries later and she is one happy camper we both have GE. It really was a toss up about whether she used the DoD KTN or the GE PassID for PreCheck purposes though at some level it made sense to keep GE and her KTN lined up. Really makes no difference but as I recall even the CBP recommended using the PassID though I don't remember what or if he had a reason. Funny thing is she just last week discovered she hadn't changed to the PassID number in her Delta profile but had flown with them several times and had always gotten PreCheck.

As for having more than one qualifying KTN/PassID number it's actually the way the government has it set up. For example, a TSA issued KTN can only be used for PreCheck and is not shared with/exported to Global Entry yet a Global Entry PassID is not only your GE number but can and is shared with TSA for PreCheck. Make sense? Not to me but that is the way it works. Obviously there's no reason to do it but in my wife's case she could have actually had three qualifying numbers at one time. She could have enrolled in TSA PreCheck, then gotten a separate KTN through DoD, and finally enrolled in GE for her third qualifying number. Apparently there's nothing to prohibit and control this. Oh well......it is the Federal government.

Last edited by Randyk47; Aug 15, 2017 at 4:28 pm
Old Aug 15, 2017, 6:35 pm

No, NEXUS. You're reading the wrong column. Says NEXUS is $50 and SENTRI is $122.50. I think you would only want SENTRI if you wanted to cross to and from Mexico by land. It looks like it covers Canada and Mexico land crossings (plus the other things). NEXUS doesn't cover Mexico land crossings.
Actually, NEXUS does allow one to use SENTRI lanes at land crossings from Mexico into the US (as does Global Entry). If crossing in a vehicle, the vehicle must be registered to your account in GOES and approved, but vehicle inspection is no longer required. NEXUS members can use the SENTRI pedestrian lanes where available without any additional registration (potentially saving hours of time!).

I don't think there is an equivalent expedited entry into Mexico at land crossings. However, Mexico has a trusted traveler program called Viajero Confiable that works similarly to GE in a few of their airports; US and Canadian citizens who are members of NEXUS or GE are eligible to apply.

I definitely think that chart in the passport envelope was designed by TSA because they messed it all up.

You get the TSA-only program if you can't pass the background check for GE, or if you have a high confidence that you won't have occasion to use GE in the next 5 years.

You should choose NEXUS not only if you want it for easier travel between the US and Canada, but anytime you are situation so that it is convenient for you to get to a NEXUS enrollment center for the signup interview.
NEXUS is indeed the most comprehensive of the trusted traveler programs even though it costs the least.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I'm quite confused - there are FOUR different trusted traveller programs? Most other countries do without any.
petaluma1 likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 3:14 pm
KDS

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Executive Elite
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
I'm quite confused - there are FOUR different trusted traveller programs? Most other countries do without any.
Perhaps not so surprising. This is the US government of which we speak -- which always has multiple programs to "control" any one thing. When one doesn't work, create another and let both fail; rinse, repeat, etc. This is how we end up with so many welfare programs that all fail.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
The reason there are so many is because they serve different purposes and partnerships with other countries.

PreCheck is the lame TSA-sponsored program for domestic security expedited screening privileges.

Global Entry is the CBP program for expedited immigration/customs for re-entry to the United States.

Nexus is the joint program for expedited immigrations/customs with Canada.

Sentri is the joint program with Mexico.

Also, it's the DHS which is pushing ALL of its programs, not TSA pushing PreCheck. The more they increase membership in all the programs, the more revenue they get.

As for GE not being "entitled" to PreCheck and "check the forums" for horror stories, most of the ones out there are people who misunderstand the program and think they can just show up to the PreCheck line, flash their GE ID, and get in without having entered their KTN number on their FF profile or their reservation. And yes, the blue moon no precheck thing is reported every now and again, but I'd say it's rare. YEs, there was a period of about 4 flights in a row I did not get PreCheck, but that was probably 3.5-4 years ago. I can't recall not having received PreCheck in the hundreds of domestic flights since.
chrisny2 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.