Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA dispenses inaccurate and misleading information on the @AskTSA twitter feed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA dispenses inaccurate and misleading information on the @AskTSA twitter feed

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by WillCAD
Horrible episode. I'd love to see the supervisor who did this get his just desserts (i.e. disciplined or fired), but that won't happen, I'm sure.

One mistake the guy made - he took Greyhound all the way home instead of trying another airport. There are three or four in NYC alone, and of course he passed PHL, BWI, DCA, IAD, and a host of others on his way back to Texas. Probably just so shocked and dismayed he didn't think of it, perfectly natural, but yeah... should have taken a shorter ride to a closer airport and flown home from there, instead of taking a 38 hour ride.
Not only was there the uncertainty about getting on another flight, there was the cost of buying new plane tickets at walk-up prices vs. the cost of two bus tickets or rail tickets or a rental car with added one-way charges.

They basically told us we were on our own for getting back home. They said we could rent a car, take train or a bus. I can't drive right now so that's out. My gf would have to drive the entire way (1 day, 8 hours). All last minute trains were nearly $900 dollars for two people and take around 50 hrs to get home. We finally had to decide on greyhound which cost me 400 for the two of us and will take around 38 hours to get home.
The head supervisor told me not to try to fly out of anywhere in the state of New York or I would most certainly faces some consequences. Have no idea what that was supposed to mean, but mr. hardass made delta refund my return ticket himself so I couldn't talk to them and have my flight moved.
In his shoes, I wouldn't have tried getting on another flight either. When my nitro pills were confiscated, the supervisor warned me that a report was being made and I was in very serious trouble if I ever got caught trying to take nitro pills through again. You might wonder (as did I) if TSA would actually flag my record somehow so that my first offense would pop up every time I bought a ticket. I didn't know, but I also didn't dare take the chance. For all this pax knew, the supervisor could put out an area-wide alert to TSA to be on the watch for him attempting to circumvent security.

I don't believe for a minute that the poster giving the pax advice is a current TSA employee - if s/he is, it won't be for long. I imagine Blogger Bob and company are trying to identify the source to retaliate right now.

Last edited by chollie; Aug 14, 2017 at 1:47 pm
Old Aug 15, 2017, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by leungy18
Any damage caused by a TSO should be compensated right out of said TSO's paycheck.

Nothing's going to happen unless someone organizes a lawsuit. Or lawsuits.
Employees can't be held liable for damage caused by normal business operations.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Even if they violate the rules of their employer?

Old Aug 16, 2017, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
If a screener doesn't follow procedure is it "normal business operations"? I think the tide may be changing on that front.

An individual screener is being sued for using excessive force during screening. Immunity has been denied by the court.

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....ldnt-able-sue/

TSA Hit a Man in the Groin During Screening Then Argued He Shouldn’t Be Able to Sue

Last month the US District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia (the original so-called ‘rocket docket’) ruled in Linlor v. Polson that individuals may have a private right of action for constitutional rights violations at the security checkpoint, over objections from the TSA.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 9:05 am
Original Poster

I'd like to be in court on the day the judge/prosecutor asks TSA to explain what the rules are about gropes - you know, how do they know when a screener has crossed a line?

First, TSA will likely try to play the SOP SSI card.

If the judge refuses to believe that discussing the details of TSA's genital manipulations will jeopardize national security or closes the court room, TSA might have to provide an answer.

I'd like to be there when TSA tells the court that all screeners have 'screener discretion' on whether or not to chop genitals or just fondle them. TSA can explain the legal construct that is 'final say'.

Perhaps TSA will argue that the screener can't violate the rules because he has the 'final say' on what the rules are at any given point in time.

Clearly, TSA is bent on wasting my taxpayer's $ going to court to deny that a screener assaulted a pax at the checkpoint. This case really sends a loud clear message about the direction the new leadership intends to take.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 10:52 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
If a screener doesn't follow procedure is it "normal business operations"? I think the tide may be changing on that front.

An individual screener is being sued for using excessive force during screening. Immunity has been denied by the court.
I wouldn't quite characterize it as the "tide may be changing."

The judge in that case was very careful to note that permitting that lawsuit to proceed was an exception to the rule.

Take a look at Professor Eugene Volokh's article - Court okays lawsuit for damages based on allegedly excessive airport checkpoint search - and, if you have the time, the Fedral District Court opinion itself (Linlor v. Polson).
Old Aug 16, 2017, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....ldnt-able-sue/
It could be a start and precedent setting. There is Angela Rye who was genital chopped on video as she was being punished for questioning TSA; she might have a chance of success, depending on how this case goes forward.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TWA884
I wouldn't quite characterize it as the "tide may be changing."

The judge in that case was very careful to note that permitting that lawsuit to proceed was an exception to the rule.

Take a look at Professor Eugene Volokh's article - Court okays lawsuit for damages based on allegedly excessive airport checkpoint search - and, if you have the time, the Fedral District Court opinion itself (Linlor v. Polson).
I had read both Courts opinion and the article by Volokh earlier this month. I'm not claiming that the tide has changed but that the tide may be changing. I'm hoping that this decision will be viewed by other jurist who will act in a similar vein.

I would be delighted if this is just the first of actions favoring an individual over government. In my opinion courts should decide close questions in favor of citizens but I know that's not how the courts currently work.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 6:31 pm

Man allegedly needs surgery after TSA "pat down"

Cross-reference:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28699700-post596.html
Old Aug 20, 2017, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by WillCAD
One mistake the guy made - he took Greyhound all the way home instead of trying another airport. There are three or four in NYC alone, and of course he passed PHL, BWI, DCA, IAD, and a host of others on his way back to Texas. Probably just so shocked and dismayed he didn't think of it, perfectly natural, but yeah... should have taken a shorter ride to a closer airport and flown home from there, instead of taking a 38 hour ride.
TSA told him there would be "consequences" if he tried another airport.

Under the circumstances, it's reasonable to believe that they meant arrest and criminal charges. Yes, it's probably an empty threat, but when the Feds are involved it generally feels safer not to gamble.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 7:31 am
Original Poster

The screeners who were involved in this incident have all had a two-week vacay at the 'academy', courtesy of the taxpayers, within the last year.

If I ever have the misfortune of wanting to fly when I have a cast on my foot and TSA insists I remove the cast (new interpretation of the rules), I will comply. However, unlike some folks, I won't try to hop and balance - I am not that steady. I will lower myself to the floor and push myself along. I will make eye contact with every pax I can as I crawl through the WMD.

I will comply!
Old Aug 20, 2017, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mauve
TSA told him there would be "consequences" if he tried another airport.

Under the circumstances, it's reasonable to believe that they meant arrest and criminal charges. Yes, it's probably an empty threat, but when the Feds are involved it generally feels safer not to gamble.
Might be worth an arrest to demonstrate the stupidity of TSA.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 7:55 am

Speaking of dishonest, does TSA teach this at the training academy:

Old Aug 23, 2017, 2:42 pm

Is TSA spokesperson Mike England lying?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28727143-post601.html
Old Aug 13, 2018, 10:26 am

@AskTSA being untruthful yet again

Today I came across this twitter thread started several days ago by a woman praising TSA at SFO for getting her through the checkpoint with two cats.

Note that @ASKTSA was, at best, misleading in their response to the OP and was called out on that.

Apparently, one has to open the tweet to read the entire thread.

Last edited by petaluma1; Aug 13, 2018 at 10:35 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.