FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate-687/)
-   -   2028 Olympics in LA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/1857886-2028-olympics-la.html)

mahohmei Jul 31, 2017 5:26 pm

2028 Olympics in LA

I've quipped before that, due to the TSA and various Customs alphabet soup, the USA would never host another Olympics after Salt Lake City 2002--which had been chosen before the TSA. I'd thought that the behavior typical of TSA clerks and Customs agents would be more than enough to get the IOC to look elsewhere for Olympics hosts.

But here we are; 11 years away. If the past 11 years have been any indication, I see the TSA and Customs getting worse by the day. Perhaps their behavior will be so embarassing in 2028 it will be the final "never again".

Thoughts?

Himeno Jul 31, 2017 7:24 pm

Note to self: don't go to LA in 2028, avoid that side of planet during event.

Maybe by then, TSA will be eliminated?

Perhaps CBP in LAX is better then CBP ORD (the reason Chicago lost the 2016 games).

FlyingUnderTheRadar Jul 31, 2017 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by Himeno (Post 28632040)
Note to self: don't go to LA in 2028, avoid that side of planet during event.

Friends who were living in LALA land during the 1984 games said it was great so many people went on vacation that the highways were a breeze.

That said during the 2002 games in SLC (a different type of lala land:-) a much different story. Then yes avoid that side of planet during event. Which is what we did.

As for TSA/CBP there are so many airports I doubt it will be that much of an issue.

Himeno Aug 1, 2017 12:33 am

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar (Post 28632559)
Then yes avoid that side of planet during event. Which is what we did.

That's more to do with timezones. Sticking to timezones that would have the event location with minimal activity during the day (ie, when it is night time where the event is) makes it easier to avoid most of the annoying media crap around such a boring event.

I might consider trying to be in the US/Europe during the Tokyo games in 2020, just so I don't have to get as much wall to wall all day trash shoved at me that being 1 hour ahead of Tokyo would cause.

petaluma1 Aug 1, 2017 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar (Post 28632559)
Friends who were living in LALA land during the 1984 games said it was great so many people went on vacation that the highways were a breeze.

That said during the 2002 games in SLC (a different type of lala land:-) a much different story. Then yes avoid that side of planet during event. Which is what we did.

As for TSA/CBP there are so many airports I doubt it will be that much of an issue.

Highways were a breeze; no one was in campgrounds at the national parks. It was delightful!

Lkeade Aug 2, 2017 8:13 am

I went to the Coliseum for track and field on what was called 'black Tuesday' when all the freeways were supposed to be jammed and LA would come to a stand still. We used public transportation and there was no one on the road and we got there hours early. I'll be going to events in 2028.

gobluetwo Aug 2, 2017 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by Lkeade (Post 28638345)
I went to the Coliseum for track and field on what was called 'black Tuesday' when all the freeways were supposed to be jammed and LA would come to a stand still. We used public transportation and there was no one on the road and we got there hours early. I'll be going to events in 2028.

Assuming LA hasn't fallen into the ocean by then, right?

Flaflyer Aug 3, 2017 10:39 am

Might save time if they combine the by then standard CBP cavity/strip search and the Olympic gender testing protocols. :rolleyes:

whitearrow Aug 9, 2017 3:38 pm

LAX TSA is slow but not particularly ridiculous. I think a lot of the slowness is the bad design in the crappy older terminals. They do better in newer terminals.

Ditto for immigration/customs -- slow but I don't often hear of big problems.