Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA becoming more serious lately?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2017, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fivenue
so basically, we (tax payers) fund this whole tsa operation so they can grope us?

nice way to make a living
Sexual assault is the correct description.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 12:28 pm

I hope they are getting serious. They confiscated a total of 3,391 firearms from carry on bags in 2016 a 28% increase. I wouldn't trust hardly any
passengers to be able to make the correct decision with a firearm on board a crowded plane.

That doesn't even include the number of knives that are confiscated.
It's all cool to bash the TSA until your on the plane with a mentally unstable person who is of domestic or foreign origin intent on doing harm to someone else.

My advice is to treat them with respect, be courteous, joke with them and comply with what they ask within reason. Most people are TSA Pre on here anyways so it's 5 minutes of your time.

It is more of a hassle dealing with customs and immigration at international destinations then it is with the TSA.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 1:26 pm

"It is more of a hassle dealing with customs and immigration at international destinations then it is with the TSA."

Maybe US Customs, but internationally, at Customs, I have never been mistreated as much as I have by TSA, who seem like they get off on the groping, breaking of objects, delays, confusion, petty insults, and power trips.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 1:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by dbusiness
I hope they are getting serious. They confiscated a total of 3,391 firearms from carry on bags in 2016 a 28% increase. I wouldn't trust hardly any
passengers to be able to make the correct decision with a firearm on board a crowded plane.

It's all cool to bash the TSA until your on the plane with a mentally unstable person who is of domestic or foreign origin intent on doing harm to someone else.

My advice is to treat them with respect, be courteous, joke with them and comply with what they ask within reason. Most people are TSA Pre on here anyways so it's 5 minutes of your time.

It is more of a hassle dealing with customs and immigration at international destinations then it is with the TSA.
It's worth noting that in the last few months, TSA missed a loaded gun in the bag of a pax flying LAX-TPE. It was turned over to Taipei customs. Even more recently, TSA allowed an AA employee to carry on 30 bullets in his bag. They were caught in Tokyo by customs.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 6:59 pm

Programs: QFF
How so?

I have dealt with airport security in 23 countries and immigration/customs officials in 18.
Other then a single immigration agent at LHR who took an issue with doing the exact same thing that 13 other agents have had no problems with, TSA and CBP have caused the biggest hassles I've ever had to deal with.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If TSA would restrict their efforts to finding weapons then I would be more likely to show some respect.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 10:02 pm

Programs: gate lice

When TSA has a 95% failure rate, what difference does it make? TSA Pre is extortion, plain and simple -- it's not about security at all if you can pay someone to give you less invasive screening.

Customs and immigration at most international destinations are far more courteous than what you see at the TSA. For some reason the typical American seems to think that there's a terrorist sleeper cell lurking around every corner.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I hope they are getting serious. They confiscated a total of 3,391 firearms from carry on bags in 2016 a 28% increase.
The question is, though, how many they fail to find. According to their own tests, the fail rate is 95%

You do not travel much internationally, do you?
Old Jul 31, 2017, 1:08 pm

How long has TSA been demanding complete removal of casts/splints?

Don't they understand that forcing people to do so could cause further damage to the injured area? Rhetorical question 'cause I know the answer.

Not only demanding removal of splint/cast, but in many cases manipulating the injured limb/digit/joint which could cause further injury and does often cause pain.

Last edited by petaluma1; Aug 1, 2017 at 3:12 pm
Old Jul 31, 2017, 6:46 pm

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
Not sure where you travel, but the only place I have any complaints about immigration/customs is Russia. Everywhere else I have been (that is about 55 countries) is magnitudes better than TSA and US immigration/customs.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 7:45 am

There was a series of posts from a traveler at LGA this morning who reported an unattended bag to TSA. TSA screener told him to report it to the manager of Bon au Pain and then TSA ignored the bag.

The traveler then reported that his wife was searched due to having milk for their child.

It is all a show, isn't it?
Old Aug 9, 2017, 10:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by petaluma1
There was a series of posts from a traveler at LGA this morning who reported an unattended bag to TSA. TSA screener told him to report it to the manager of Bon au Pain and then TSA ignored the bag.

The traveler then reported that his wife was searched due to having milk for their child.

It is all a show, isn't it?
If the screener had just groped the pax who reported the unattended bag, it would have neutralized any possible threat.

Just like the 'magic grope' neutralizes anything nasty that might be 'artfully concealed' in a pouch of breast milk.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by chollie
If the screener had just groped the pax who reported the unattended bag, it would have neutralized any possible threat.

Just like the 'magic grope' neutralizes anything nasty that might be 'artfully concealed' in a pouch of breast milk.
That's funny because yesterday I communicated with somebody whose bag of Chex Mix tested "positive" for explosives. He told me the grope neutralized the explosives and he was on his way with the bag of Chex Mix.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petaluma1
How long has TSA been demanding complete removal of casts/splints?

Don't they understand that forcing people to do so could cause further damage to the injured area? Rhetorical question 'cause I know the answer.

Not only demanding removal of splint/cast, but in many cases manipulating the injured limb/digit/joint which could cause further injury and does often cause pain.
Remember the CastScope?.

Oops -- The TSA quietly retired it in 2013. They even mentioned the radiation hazard. Nothing like a little bone cancer to go along with your broken ankle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.