Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

It's a Scam: TSA PreCheck (and TSA dog lunging/handling debate)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2017, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...27558-132.html

Video about TSA Security. At the ~20 second mark spokesperson states that if a traveler can print a boarding pass at home they have been fully vetted.

Looks like the collection of $85 just enriches TSA and their sole PreCheck contractor.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 2:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I was struck by the lunging dog just before the end. I think the handler needs to be reassigned.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 2:57 pm

Best scam ever. An itsy bitsy insignificant sum to stroll past Orlando bound Ma and Pa <deleted>. To give the ole smirk-and-a-wink to the long liners. To over hear the puffs, huffs and snorts that collectively make up the "who does he think he is!" To walk head high, chest out, preening inside, and know that my shoes will be staying tied. The soul soothing satisfaction of Pre Check, Mate!

Thank You, TSA!

Last edited by TWA884; Jun 25, 2017 at 4:09 pm Reason: Term not used in this forum; please refer to sticky thread: "Please Read: Important Information"
Old Jun 25, 2017, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog

Video about TSA Security. At the ~20 second mark spokesperson states that if a traveler can print a boarding pass at home they have been fully vetted.

Looks like the collection of $85 just enriches TSA and their sole PreCheck contractor.
"Fully vetted" and with no need to give up one's fingerprints.

Originally Posted by chollie
I was struck by the lunging dog just before the end. I think the handler needs to be reassigned.
The dog lunged at the passenger and yet he wasn't pulled aside for further screening and the handled patted the dog. Yep, I'd agree that the handler needs to find another job - maybe she could clean out the kennels and change the dogs' water bowls.

Last edited by TWA884; Jun 25, 2017 at 4:06 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function
Old Jun 25, 2017, 3:07 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GfL, Lufthansa SEN, Hilton Diamond, misc other stuff
Just book a ticket with two pax on it. As long as one has TSAPre both get it printed on their boarding passes. If TSAPre was remotely considered a security feature that won't fly (no pun intended). Nobody cared to fix this for years.

Around 2005 an Israeli told me 'if you want to see how security works just look at Israel. We never had the puffer machines because they do not work'. Wikipedia etc are now an interesting read.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by El_Duderito
Just book a ticket with two pax on it. As long as one has TSAPre both get it printed on their boarding passes. If TSAPre was remotely considered a security feature that won't fly (no pun intended). Nobody cared to fix this for years.

Around 2005 an Israeli told me 'if you want to see how security works just look at Israel. We never had the puffer machines because they do not work'. Wikipedia etc are now an interesting read.
The U.S. “doesn't have a system to provide air security. It has a system to bother people.”
http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed...605-story.html
Old Jun 25, 2017, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fleck
Best scam ever. An itsy bitsy insignificant sum to stroll past Orlando bound Ma and Pa <deleted>. To give the ole smirk-and-a-wink to the long liners. To over hear the puffs, huffs and snorts that collectively make up the "who does he think he is!" To walk head high, chest out, preening inside, and know that my shoes will be staying tied. The soul soothing satisfaction of Pre Check, Mate!

Thank You, TSA!
If there are just 12 million people enrolled in PreCheck that "itsy bitsy insignificant sum" grows to over $1,000,000,000.00 dollars. That is a heck of a pile of money for something that TSA already knows.

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 3, 2017 at 10:10 pm Reason: Conform to moderator's edit of quoted post
Old Jun 25, 2017, 6:06 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Meh. Amex/Chase/Citi are the ones paying for it anyway.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 8:47 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Beltway2A
Since only cards with annual fees get TSA-PC/Global Entry fees reimbursed, the cardholder is really paying for IT.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 12:55 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I hate general security lanes, with the "stand like you're under arrest" degrading stance, and having electronics + CPAP = 3 gray bins every time I clear security, and messing with my belt. And of course, having to share the lane with infrequent travelers who aren't prepared or knowledgeable about what is expected of them adding to the queue length.

In conclusion, PC is extortion by the TSA, but something I gladly pay for considering it costs less than one checked bag fee per year.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gig103
I hate general security lanes, with the "stand like you're under arrest" degrading stance, and having electronics + CPAP = 3 gray bins every time I clear security, and messing with my belt. And of course, having to share the lane with infrequent travelers who aren't prepared or knowledgeable about what is expected of them adding to the queue length.

In conclusion, PC is extortion by the TSA, but something I gladly pay for considering it costs less than one checked bag fee per year.
The point is that almost all people should be able to keep their shoes on. TSA already knows if you are a threat or not. If you can print your boarding pass without assistance from the airline or can check in online then you have been fully vetted. It would only be those people who cannot check in online or print their boarding pass at an airport kiosk who are not vetted.

Just imagine how much more efficient TSA screening would be if TSA only concentrated on people who cannot be vetted?

TSA is charging someone, a business or an individual, $85 for information they already have available to them. That simply is not right!
Old Jun 26, 2017, 10:41 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
The point is that almost all people should be able to keep their shoes on. TSA already knows if you are a threat or not. If you can print your boarding pass without assistance from the airline or can check in online then you have been fully vetted. It would only be those people who cannot check in online or print their boarding pass at an airport kiosk who are not vetted.

Just imagine how much more efficient TSA screening would be if TSA only concentrated on people who cannot be vetted?

TSA is charging someone, a business or an individual, $85 for information they already have available to them. That simply is not right!
Most of us can agree that these screening methods are largely useless and takes money away from real security measures. As has been said since its inception, TSA might as well stand for "Theater Security Agency".

My point is that I'll pay $0.38/week (or for my travel, $3.33/flight), even if it is extortion.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 10:56 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Beltway2A
A corporation never paid for anything in its life. Its customers did. And continue to.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 11:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Gig103
Most of us can agree that these screening methods are largely useless and takes money away from real security measures. As has been said since its inception, TSA might as well stand for "Theater Security Agency".

My point is that I'll pay $0.38/week (or for my travel, $3.33/flight), even if it is extortion.
More people might be willing to pay for it if they didn't stand in lines that were shorter than some Precheck lines. Or if they didn't hear Precheck members in line grumbling because Precheck is closed and the Precheckers are standing in the regular line with everyone else. If they're lucky, they get to keep their shoes on. Or if they realize that TSA chooses not to honor any posted signage about Precheck hours.

It's one thing to pay $.38/week and actually get something. I don't throw $.38 in the garbage every week and I don't buy lottery tickets with it.

Depending on your flying habits, it can be a great thing or completely useless. My home airport doesn't offer it reliably, so that automatically doubles the effective membership cost for me.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 12:12 pm

What's that old saw about lying--once you start down that road you forget which lie you told to whom. Clearly, TSA has to reassure the public that their fellow passengers are safe. At the same time, TSA clearly considers the pre-check vetting to yield safer results.

From what I've been able to observe, more folks are using pre. The Pre line I was in at SEA last week was packed. Scam or not, the pre line moved very fast and conveniently. Love the WTMD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.