Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

It's a Scam: TSA PreCheck (and TSA dog lunging/handling debate)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

It's a Scam: TSA PreCheck (and TSA dog lunging/handling debate)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2017, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gig103
Most of us can agree that these screening methods are largely useless and takes money away from real security measures. As has been said since its inception, TSA might as well stand for "Theater Security Agency".

My point is that I'll pay $0.38/week (or for my travel, $3.33/flight), even if it is extortion.
We all pay a security fee. Why should anyone pay more when TSA already knows if a person is or is not a threat?
Old Jun 26, 2017, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by nachtnebel
What's that old saw about lying--once you start down that road you forget which lie you told to whom. Clearly, TSA has to reassure the public that their fellow passengers are safe. At the same time, TSA clearly considers the pre-check vetting to yield safer results.

From what I've been able to observe, more folks are using pre. The Pre line I was in at SEA last week was packed. Scam or not, the pre line moved very fast and conveniently. Love the WTMD.
How many in the line actually paid for Pre, however?
Old Jun 26, 2017, 12:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by nachtnebel
What's that old saw about lying--once you start down that road you forget which lie you told to whom. Clearly, TSA has to reassure the public that their fellow passengers are safe. At the same time, TSA clearly considers the pre-check vetting to yield safer results.

From what I've been able to observe, more folks are using pre. The Pre line I was in at SEA last week was packed. Scam or not, the pre line moved very fast and conveniently. Love the WTMD.
Remember that nonsense TSA tried to sell us about the NoS's being as fast or faster than the WTMDs? I wonder how many more years before all TSOs have been trained and retrained enough for that to be true?
Old Jun 26, 2017, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by petaluma1
Personally, I don't care if nobody but me paid. I know how often I got /didn't get Pre on a free basis, and now, having paid for it, I receive it more regularly. It's worth the small fee. Wrt whether we should have to pay for this, what good does it do....etc, that's not a debate I spend time on anymore. I have a lot of other things to worry about.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 6:42 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
We all pay a security fee. Why should anyone pay more when TSA already knows if a person is or is not a threat?
We shouldn't. I've been agreeing with you that it's a scam although I get what I pay for so that's why I call it extortion instead. You don't need to pay more. I'm saying that I will pay it because I hate general screening lanes.

Originally Posted by chollie
More people might be willing to pay for it if they didn't stand in lines that were shorter than some Precheck lines. Or if they didn't hear Precheck members in line grumbling because Precheck is closed and the Precheckers are standing in the regular line with everyone else. If they're lucky, they get to keep their shoes on. Or if they realize that TSA chooses not to honor any posted signage about Precheck hours.

It's one thing to pay $.38/week and actually get something. I don't throw $.38 in the garbage every week and I don't buy lottery tickets with it.

Depending on your flying habits, it can be a great thing or completely useless. My home airport doesn't offer it reliably, so that automatically doubles the effective membership cost for me.
A fair point that it isn't always available and that is, in a manner of speaking, a bait and switch. I have noticed that PHX has an entire thread dedicated to its lackluster availability but for my flights it's always been there unless I fly BA which doesn't participate as a foreign carrier.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 7:01 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC, National EE
I'm the only one who has Global Entry and thus PreCheck. My wife and daughter never signed up yet both have PreCheck marked on their boarding passes for their flight tomorrow.

My Global Entry/PreCheck expires later this year and I'm debating whether to re-enroll. Since I don't fly as much anymore sounds like I shouldn't bother.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 10:42 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...27558-132.html

Video about TSA Security. At the ~20 second mark spokesperson states that if a traveler can print a boarding pass at home they have been fully vetted.

Looks like the collection of $85 just enriches TSA and their sole PreCheck contractor.
I think the TSA is a big waste of time and money as much as the next guy however I think you're misinterpreting what he was saying.

I believe he's just saying that by purchasing a ticket on line and printing the BP, the TSA knows who you are. That doesn't mean you will automatically get PreCheck. Security screening is a different layer than determining who you are.

Having said that, I don't really see how the vetting statement is correct anyway.

Originally Posted by chollie
I was struck by the lunging dog just before the end. I think the handler needs to be reassigned.
Why? The handler was rewarding the dog for retrieving its toy. It wasn't lunging at anyone. I think the passenger was just startled by the dog and moved out the way. Not sure why the handler threw it but I assume to make sure the dog was paying attention.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by justhere
I think the TSA is a big waste of time and money as much as the next guy however I think you're misinterpreting what he was saying.

I believe he's just saying that by purchasing a ticket on line and printing the BP, the TSA knows who you are. That doesn't mean you will automatically get PreCheck. Security screening is a different layer than determining who you are.

Having said that, I don't really see how the vetting statement is correct anyway.

Why? The handler was rewarding the dog for retrieving its toy. It wasn't lunging at anyone. I think the passenger was just startled by the dog and moved out the way. Not sure why the handler threw it but I assume to make sure the dog was paying attention.
Unprofessional handler who doesn't know what she's doing if that's what happened.

The dog and handler are working. Pax are not allowed to pet the dog because the dog is working, not playing. The handler should never be playing with the dog when it is on the job.

It is just as inappropriate if two TSOs were clowning around and one of them suddenly lunged at the crowd.

And no well-trained working dog should ever be lunging at innocent people. Period. That handler has no way of knowing who is terrified of dogs. If one of the pax had reacted the way I probably would have, it would upset other people and the dog as well.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 9:53 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exactly. He says that before boarding passes can be printed at home, passengers names are checked against all terrorist data bases in the world. These are not full background checks where identities are verified by fingerprints, etc.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by TWA884
Exactly. He says that before boarding passes can be printed at home, passengers names are checked against all terrorist data bases in the world. These are not full background checks where identities are verified by fingerprints, etc.
Then why is TSA allowing non-fingerprinted passengers in the PreCheck line if having prints is such a game changer?
Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:47 am

Exactly. If the fingerprints and background check are critical components of security, then TSA is putting all of us at risk every time a pax is granted Precheck solely because his/her name is not on any terrorist databases. If this is a genuine security loophole, as TSA has been assuring us for years, then it should be closed immediately. 100%.

If you ask TSA about the horrific risk they are subjecting us to daily, they will assure us that the other 20 layers of security are sufficient to ensure that there's no threat to aviation security.

If those 20 layers of security plus a name-check against terrorist databases are sufficient, then I fail to see what fingerprints and background checks add to the process. They do add to the TSA's bottom line.

I think TSA wants that enrollment money really badly. Does it go towards executive bonuses?
Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:48 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Then why is TSA allowing non-fingerprinted passengers in the PreCheck line if having prints is such a game changer?
That's been extensively discussed in the Managed Inclusion threads.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 11:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club

I don't think the handler did anything wrong by "letting" the dog lunge in and of itself, but she was not handling the dog correctly. She has very poor posture and generally seems like she wasn't paying attention to the dog and the dog doesn't appear well trained enough for her to be able to do that. It is possible that the dog was actually in training which would make the whole situation more understandable.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 5:38 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Without casting a judgement pro/con TSA, what was fascinating is that he said, "We have over 20 layers of security...we now have federal flight deck officers who are armed onboard that airplane, as well as air marshals." Not a security geek, but this is the first time I've heard about flight crew being equipped with government approved weapons.

On one hand, everyone on a plan puts their faith in the pilots to ensure a safe flight at the same time not so sure that more weapons make for less violent skies. Just an FYI.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
Without casting a judgement pro/con TSA, what was fascinating is that he said, "We have over 20 layers of security...we now have federal flight deck officers who are armed onboard that airplane, as well as air marshals." Not a security geek, but this is the first time I've heard about flight crew being equipped with government approved weapons.

On one hand, everyone on a plan puts their faith in the pilots to ensure a safe flight at the same time not so sure that more weapons make for less violent skies. Just an FYI.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federa...t_Deck_Officer

More info on the FFDO program. Not a new program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.