Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA let's minor walk through security with no screening at all?!?!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA let's minor walk through security with no screening at all?!?!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2017, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvatage
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Just to be sure we're all talking about the same things.

TSA Walk Through Metal Detector

TSA Body Scanner

Yes those are the ones.

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
The chronic complaining is quite something. Last year we were treated to the accusatory claims of perverted TSA screeners when minors were patted down. Now we are told the TSA is incompetent because a minor appeared to "walk" through. Everyone is always being hard done by and everyone has a chip on his/her shoulder.

Here's a novel idea: People should stop looking for conspiracies where there are none. If there is a concern, bring it to the attention of the security personnel right away. The event could not have been too worrisome, if nothing was said or done at the time.

I expect that despite the claim of not having walked through the metal detector, that the person did indeed go through.
I am not super worried about it nor do I have a chip on my shoulder. In fact, I don't think I am going to report it. I just find it a little unsettling that people can manage to get through without screening. I don't think there is a conspiracy. It was probably just a mistake with the agents trying to be helpful. I think that TSA does a decent job, but one mistake can have enormous consequences if it happens to the wrong person.

Last edited by TWA884; Jun 18, 2017 at 8:37 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function
Old Jun 18, 2017, 5:24 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by bigboy61
Someone could hide a knife or gun with their kid and have them go through security with it.
Actually based on TSA history, the easiest way to get a gun through is to simply place it your carry on bag and there's a fair chance it won't even get noticed!

Originally Posted by bigboy61
Actually, no one in our family has Twitter. Facebook, yes but no Twitter.
The 17 year old has Twitter, trust me (as the father of a 19 year old girl)! She probably doesn't want to highlight it for the family though...so best to get your own for this. It's quick and easy to sign up and seems to be effective for this kind of stuff.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 9:45 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by pa3lsvt
I strongly suspect that the minor used a WTMD, and thus bypassed the MMW. Since infrequent pax assume that the MMW is the "primary" screening method, they get used to the "stop, freedom pose, magic moving machine moves, secondary pat down" procedure and fail to remember that a WTMD is just that - "walk through metal detector". Without all the theater, the WTMD may appear to be no screening at all to pax that have been psychologically conditioned by the TSA's MMW procedure.

How many times have you seen someone that got unexpected access to Precheck stop and strike up the "freedom pose" in the WTMD? I've seen it more than once.
Yes, that most probably explains what happened. The only other possibility that I see as a likely explanation for a non-government, non-airport, non-airline employee type: they were going to do a hands-on screening nearly all over her body and perhaps failed to get it done. But I count that as a very low likelihood possibility.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.