Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Installing Checkpoint CT Scanners

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2018, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by phltraveler
Dulles is on the list you quoted, in the earlier paragraph.

I've never cleared security at DCA (only transited it as a connection point on US Airways) but given how tight the airport is on the sterile side, spacing might be a concern.

Between that and budget ([[url=https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2018/07/tsa-might-let-you-keep-everything-in-carry-on-bags-in-five-years-or-so/]article on that]), TSA has budget for 15 scanners in 2018 and 240 scanners in 2020, with about 2,000 scanners throughout the US at TSA checkpoints. They will probably focus on certain lanes at the category X airports and the Pre lanes at some more regional airports - but that's just a guess, they could have different deployment priorities (like covering all lanes at category X airports, or putting them in the non-Pre lanes to try to apply a stricter/better screening standard to the passengers that are not trusted travelers).
Why in heavens name would they put these machines on Pre lanes at any airport? That would simply be another admission that Pre is essentially a scam.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 8:07 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by petaluma1
Why in heavens name would they put these machines on Pre lanes at any airport? That would simply be another admission that Pre is essentially a scam.
They're trying to upsell people to Pre so they can have higher throughput = hire fewer screeners. Putting them in the Pre lanes provides more of a carrot for voluntarily getting a trusted traveler number.

The other part is that the allowances in the Pre lane (laptops and tablets stay in bag, electronics larger than a cell phone stay in bag) make it harder to have a clear image on the x-ray when someone packs a lot of electronics or other things that are dense from an imaging perspective.

Not sure what the TSA's real priority is here (selling Pre by making even better experience, or putting them in non-Pre lanes for improved throughput and security) and I'm not sure in the trial airports what lanes currently have the CT scanners either.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 11:46 am

They're trying to upsell people to Pre so they can have higher throughput = hire fewer screeners. Putting them in the Pre lanes provides more of a carrot for voluntarily getting a trusted traveler number.

The other part is that the allowances in the Pre lane (laptops and tablets stay in bag, electronics larger than a cell phone stay in bag) make it harder to have a clear image on the x-ray when someone packs a lot of electronics or other things that are dense from an imaging perspective.

Not sure what the TSA's real priority is here (selling Pre by making even better experience, or putting them in non-Pre lanes for improved throughput and security) and I'm not sure in the trial airports what lanes currently have the CT scanners either.
I wonder if TSA even knows what its priority is. They surely are desperate to get people signed up for Pre, so desperate that they have now lowered the target number of 25 million to 12.5 million.

It used to be that about every 6 months TSA would put out a press release updating the number of people enrolled in the program; now it appears to be a yearly update, reaching 6 million+ in July of this year (from 5 million last July), which info I could find only on the TSA website - no press releases.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Dulles is on the list you quoted, in the earlier paragraph.
I actually did see Dulles on the list, although my parenthetical phrase indicated otherwise.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 9:16 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
NBC Nightly News:

Old Aug 11, 2018, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by TWA884

Time will tell.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Time will tell.
I honestly hope the 3D scanners will speed up the checkpoints, lord knows nothing else that TSA has thought up has.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I honestly hope the 3D scanners will speed up the checkpoints, lord knows nothing else that TSA has thought up has.
Maybe this will answer your question:

Click to read the entire thread.

In case you don't have a twitter account, the OP's response to a question was:

The lines was definitely not going any faster. I’m sure the TSO behind the scanner was pulling bags bc they don’t want to miss anything. Yet it delayed the line which only had about a 12+/- passengers. It took over 30+ mins to get through the line.
In case you are one of the lucky ones blocked by @ASKTSA, their response was:

Rest assured, our officers make every effort to screen all passengers and bags effectively and efficiently. We appreciate your feedback and have shared your concerns with our team at BWI.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 9:33 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
If they could increase throughout with those scanners, it might not be great for TSA job security.

maybe they pull bags more frequently or do more random spot checks.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by wco81
If they could increase throughout with those scanners, it might not be great for TSA job security.

maybe they pull bags more frequently or do more random spot checks.
These machines allegedly were designed to obviate the need for pulling bags.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 2:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Yes but that doesn't help them keep their jobs.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 6:17 am

Programs: TSA
Maybe this will answer your question:

https://twitter.com/frizz_curly/stat...18611321069573

Click to read the entire thread.

In case you don't have a twitter account, the OP's response to a question was:

In case you are one of the lucky ones blocked by @ASKTSA, their response was:
One challenge is that this program is in its infancy. The operators are still building their operational thought process for these machines. As an organization, we have experience with the technology, but most line TSOs have not seen the 3D system or are experienced at using it. Usually when we implement new tech, there is an adjustment period, while the workforce goes through the following steps:

1. Initial familiarization and training on the tech.
2. Consistent training and hands on practice to become more familiar and understand the tools available better.
3. Mastery of the toolkits and ability to apply image interpretation consistently.
4. Mastery of the system as a whole.
5. Increased efficiency with consistent use and training.

These periods vary based upon the complexity of the equipment, and the way it is used. Those time frames in the past have been 1-2 weeks, all the way up to over a month before the workforce is at efficient levels. This is the same with most jobs - using the equipment builds muscle memory, and increased efficiency in interpretation based upon those experiences. I anticipate that as TSOs become more familiar with the system, the speed of processing will increase.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gsoltso
One challenge is that this program is in its infancy. The operators are still building their operational thought process for these machines. As an organization, we have experience with the technology, but most line TSOs have not seen the 3D system or are experienced at using it. Usually when we implement new tech, there is an adjustment period, while the workforce goes through the following steps:

1. Initial familiarization and training on the tech.
2. Consistent training and hands on practice to become more familiar and understand the tools available better.
3. Mastery of the toolkits and ability to apply image interpretation consistently.
4. Mastery of the system as a whole.
5. Increased efficiency with consistent use and training.

These periods vary based upon the complexity of the equipment, and the way it is used. Those time frames in the past have been 1-2 weeks, all the way up to over a month before the workforce is at efficient levels. This is the same with most jobs - using the equipment builds muscle memory, and increased efficiency in interpretation based upon those experiences. I anticipate that as TSOs become more familiar with the system, the speed of processing will increase.
Is all training conducted at live checkpoints during regular operations?

The response above reads like something prepared by a PR department in an attempt to deflect anticipated public outrage. Does TSA already know that the CT scanners are much slower than traditional xray systems?
Old Aug 27, 2018, 6:53 am

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Is all training conducted at live checkpoints during regular operations?

The response above reads like something prepared by a PR department in an attempt to deflect anticipated public outrage. Does TSA already know that the CT scanners are much slower than traditional xray systems?
The above is merely a commentary based upon what I have seen almost every single time the organization implements a new process, procedure or tech. There is a normal learning curve with all new things, and TSA is no different than anywhere else. There were some challenges when the decision to remove all electronics larger than 4 X 6 in standard lanes rolled out - at this time, we have actually seen an increase in efficiency (at least everywhere I have seen it). I anticipate that putting in new tech that we have not used, there will be some adjustments and a normal learning curve.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gsoltso
The above is merely a commentary based upon what I have seen almost every single time the organization implements a new process, procedure or tech. There is a normal learning curve with all new things, and TSA is no different than anywhere else. There were some challenges when the decision to remove all electronics larger than 4 X 6 in standard lanes rolled out - at this time, we have actually seen an increase in efficiency (at least everywhere I have seen it). I anticipate that putting in new tech that we have not used, there will be some adjustments and a normal learning curve.
Is all of the training being conducted at live checkpoints?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.