TSA Installing Checkpoint CT Scanners

Old Jun 19, 2017, 10:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by petaluma1
Will somebody please explain to me how these CT scanners are going to be able to determine if a liquid is explosive. Is use of these screeners going to mean that parents will no longer have to either open all their baby foods or face being sexually assaulted by TSA?
Rats. I read something this morning that is relevant to that, but I'll never find the link.

What I read (and shouldn't have been surprised): the manufacturer says these can be used to clear LGAs and laptops without removal but it is expected that TSA will continue to insist that non-Pre pax remove all LGAs and laptops even after the new machines are installed.

I suspect one of two things is going on:

1) TSA doesn't want to use the full benefits of these extraordinarily expensive machines that we will buy solely because of the laptop threat discovered a year or more ago because it will lessen the value of Precheck and fewer people will be motivated to sign up, or

2) TSA and the manufacturer both know that once again, TSA is spending hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars for buggy equipment that doesn't actually do what they claim it will do.

In other words, nothing is likely to change for parents traveling with infants and/or breast milk any time soon.

Keep in mind, if these scanners were really all that (leave laptops and LGAs in bag), then TSA wouldn't need to be pushing the airlines (and indirectly, pax) to pony up for expensive new checkpoints (ATL) to speed up the process of pax disrobing and unpacking. Meanwhile, forcing non-Precheck pax to not only remove shoes and outwear and laptops and LGA, but eventually all food and paper, signals 1) TSA and/or the manufacturer are lying and the machines aren't that good or 2) they are that good but TSA still wants everyone to pay for Precheck, and they plan to do it by forcing non-Precheck people to unpack even more stuff.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WillCAD
I just hope that these new machines are thoroughly tested for radiation leaks before deployment in public places at c/ps around the country.
I was thinking the same thing over the weekend. These scanners, of course, produce ionizing radiation just like the current x-ray scanner and, of course, the Blue Cancer Boxes. The NIH reports a 1/2000 chance of developing cancer from exposure to the radiation generated by these machines as compared to a 1/5 chance of developing some sort of cancer over your lifetime.

Bear in mind that the NIH analysis was done for medical equipment, which are properly shielded and maintained to high standards by the medical community.

The CT scanners used at airports and the former Cancer Boxes used on us are industrial x-rays with a completely different set of standards. There was an NIH study done on the Cancer Boxes that was inconclusive because the TSA never gave them an actual operational unit to test. I remember that NIH recommended a keep-out zone on the order of several feet.

The checked baggage machines are pretty far away in most cases from the general public and present little hazard. But, the baby scanners will be right at the checkpoint. I fully expect the TSA to stonewall any attempt at standard environmental testing of these machines and will conceal the amount of shielding and other technical specifications. I'm sure these machines are built to industrial safety standards rather than to medical safety standards.

Although I have zero sympathy for the clerks who stand right next to these things day in & day out because it's their choice to work for an employer such as the TSA. But, they will never be told how much radiation they might be exposed to during a shift.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
I was thinking the same thing over the weekend. These scanners, of course, produce ionizing radiation just like the current x-ray scanner and, of course, the Blue Cancer Boxes. The NIH reports a 1/2000 chance of developing cancer from exposure to the radiation generated by these machines as compared to a 1/5 chance of developing some sort of cancer over your lifetime.

Bear in mind that the NIH analysis was done for medical equipment, which are properly shielded and maintained to high standards by the medical community.

The CT scanners used at airports and the former Cancer Boxes used on us are industrial x-rays with a completely different set of standards. There was an NIH study done on the Cancer Boxes that was inconclusive because the TSA never gave them an actual operational unit to test. I remember that NIH recommended a keep-out zone on the order of several feet.

The checked baggage machines are pretty far away in most cases from the general public and present little hazard. But, the baby scanners will be right at the checkpoint. I fully expect the TSA to stonewall any attempt at standard environmental testing of these machines and will conceal the amount of shielding and other technical specifications. I'm sure these machines are built to industrial safety standards rather than to medical safety standards.

Although I have zero sympathy for the clerks who stand right next to these things day in & day out because it's their choice to work for an employer such as the TSA. But, they will never be told how much radiation they might be exposed to during a shift.
nor be allowed to wear a radiation dosimeter badge.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by catocony
If the puffer machines were foiled by dust and farts, I can't imagine what will trip up the CT scanners.
Sock monkeys with little bitty pistols?
Old Jun 19, 2017, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DeafBlonde
Sock monkeys with little bitty pistols?
Ouch.

I just flashed a mental image of a poor little sock monkey getting his genital area fondled in front of everyone.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by chollie
Rats. I read something this morning that is relevant to that, but I'll never find the link.

What I read (and shouldn't have been surprised): the manufacturer says these can be used to clear LGAs and laptops without removal but it is expected that TSA will continue to insist that non-Pre pax remove all LGAs and laptops even after the new machines are installed.
So in addition to allegedly better screening, they will be used as tools of extortion.

If TSA is not going to allow ALL passengers to keep liquids, etc. in their bags during screening, I certainly hope they do NOT buy these machines to use at regular checkpoints.

ETA this tweet from Robert McLean:

Brace yourselves for another potential @TSA boondoggle���� while cheap 2ndary barriers go MIA. Who stands to profit? https://www.tsa.gov/news/releases/20...n-two-airports

Last edited by TWA884; Jun 19, 2017 at 1:53 pm Reason: Fix BB Code
Old Jun 19, 2017, 11:34 am
Original Poster

So in addition to allegedly better screening, they will be used as tools of extortion.

If TSA is not going to allow ALL passengers to keep liquids, etc. in their bags during screening, I certainly hope they do NOT buy these machines to use at regular checkpoints.
One of the reasons they are pushing these machines is because they claim the machines will speed up the checkpoint process.

The biggest contributor to checkpoint delays has always been the need to disrobe and unpack, and now it's getting worse as TSA moves towards forcing pax to unpack even more: foods and anything paper must come out, as well as laptops and LGAs.

By ignoring one of the key features of the machines, their ability to speed up processing because of their superior capabilities, TSA proves once again that this is really about lining the pockets of connected contractors - and 'earning' huge TSA bonuses.

Slightly OT. One TSA administrator that failed at the single task he was assigned got an $80K bonus. Someone I know has spent time recently with a former TSO. The TSO had to relocate because of family issues. There was no airport nearby, so the TSO took another federal job. When the bonuses came around for that job, the former TSO went ballistic. When my friend asked if the TSA bonuses were better than $1500, the former TSO said the bonuses were 'thousands'.

There is a lot riding on the line - huge bonuses for everyone, including rank and file - to find some way to improve red team scores. The screeners aren't going to give up their private conversations and cellphones while working, so we have to keep buying more and more expensive equipment to do the job they can't or won't do. And then on top of that, we will pay them huge bonuses for the job the machines are doing.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

https://twitter.com/rjmaclean/status/876855310685577216

Brace yourselves for another potential @TSA boondoggle���� while cheap 2ndary barriers go MIA. Who stands to profit? https://www.tsa.gov/news/releases/20...n-two-airports
This quote would be funny if it weren't so pathetic:

Passengers transiting through Terminal 4 at Phoenix and Terminal E at Boston may be asked to volunteer for screening using this technology.

Last edited by TWA884; Jun 19, 2017 at 1:54 pm Reason: Fix BB Code
Old Jun 19, 2017, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One of the reasons they are pushing these machines is because they claim the machines will speed up the checkpoint process.

The biggest contributor to checkpoint delays has always been the need to disrobe and unpack, and now it's getting worse as TSA moves towards forcing pax to unpack even more: foods and anything paper must come out, as well as laptops and LGAs.

By ignoring one of the key features of the machines, their ability to speed up processing because of their superior capabilities, TSA proves once again that this is really about lining the pockets of connected contractors - and 'earning' huge TSA bonuses.

Slightly OT. One TSA administrator that failed at the single task he was assigned got an $80K bonus. Someone I know has spent time recently with a former TSO. The TSO had to relocate because of family issues. There was no airport nearby, so the TSO took another federal job. When the bonuses came around for that job, the former TSO went ballistic. When my friend asked if the TSA bonuses were better than $1500, the former TSO said the bonuses were 'thousands'.

There is a lot riding on the line - huge bonuses for everyone, including rank and file - to find some way to improve red team scores. The screeners aren't going to give up their private conversations and cellphones while working, so we have to keep buying more and more expensive equipment to do the job they can't or won't do. And then on top of that, we will pay them huge bonuses for the job the machines are doing.
I have never understood why federal workers, TSA or any other agency, would bet a bonus.

I do believe that some in TSA are willing to buy any piece of junk vendors are pushing to ensure future employment. But that wouldn't not include most checkpoint screeners, they just aren't high enough up the food chain.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 12:16 pm

Passengers transiting through Terminal 4 at Phoenix and Terminal E at Boston may be asked to volunteer for screening using this technology.
Does "volunteer" have the same meaning with TSA as it does in the military?
Old Jun 19, 2017, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

This quote would be funny if it weren't so pathetic:

I added further emphasis to your quote for accuracy.

Pax MAY be asked; much more likely, they will be asked 'DY...T'?

Last edited by TWA884; Jun 19, 2017 at 2:23 pm Reason: Fix BB Code
Old Jun 19, 2017, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Isn't that the FAM who took DHS/TSA to task for his firing and won after many years?

Last edited by TWA884; Jun 19, 2017 at 2:15 pm Reason: Fix BB Code
Old Jun 19, 2017, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Yes, it is that Robert McLean.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I added further emphasis to your quote for accuracy.

Pax MAY be asked; much more likely, they will be asked 'DY...T'?
Remember this, comrade: The TSA NEVER confiscates anything. The passenger "voluntarily surrenders" it.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Whatever you say, Francine.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.