Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

From today's TSA blog- desire for "curb-to-gate secure environment"

From today's TSA blog- desire for "curb-to-gate secure environment"

Old Jun 26, 2017, 1:50 pm

Programs: DL, WN, US, Avis, AA
Originally Posted by gsoltso
(snippet deleted) . . . TSA does not prohibit the carrying of nitro medications, someone not following the regulations and publicly posted/disseminated guidelines did. . . . (snippet deleted)
I'm sorry but I cannot allow that bit of sophistry to pass by.

• Did the "someone" who prohibited the nitro medication do so while wearing a TSA uniform?
  • Was that "someone" drawing pay from TSA at the time?
  • Did that "someone" do so with the authority of the TSA?
  • Could the passenger have ignored that "someone" and maintained possession of the nitro medication with no repercussions from the TSA?

That "someone" was indeed acting as an agent for and on behalf of the TSA under the color of authority of that agency. To pretend that this act was done by some nebulous "someone" and not by TSA is literally incredible.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 3:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
It was not one 'someone'. Multiple TSOs, LTSOs, STSOs and a suit were involved. All agreed that TSA has a zero tolerance for some prohibited substances in any form or quantity and nitroglycerine is one of those substances. All of the 'someones' except the suit were wearing TSA uniforms.

Subsequently 'someone' fabricated a story on the blog claiming it never happened and never could or would happen because TSA is always right and pax always lie.

Someone has finally changed the non-binding website to say nitroglycerin is allowed, but nitroglycerine is still subject to confiscation because 'someone' has the 'final say' at the checkpoint.

I'd prefer TSA to be honest. Tell people the truth: "You may or may not be allowed to take your prescription medicines on the plane, depending on the screener. If having your medicines confiscated truly jeopardizes your health, we would suggest you consider an alternate means of transportation."
Old Jul 2, 2017, 10:24 am

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by T-the-B
I'm sorry but I cannot allow that bit of sophistry to pass by.

• Did the "someone" who prohibited the nitro medication do so while wearing a TSA uniform?
  • Was that "someone" drawing pay from TSA at the time?
  • Did that "someone" do so with the authority of the TSA?
  • Could the passenger have ignored that "someone" and maintained possession of the nitro medication with no repercussions from the TSA?

That "someone" was indeed acting as an agent for and on behalf of the TSA under the color of authority of that agency. To pretend that this act was done by some nebulous "someone" and not by TSA is literally incredible.
I have consistently, and firmly stated that anyone that would take nitro meds without some articulable reason that it is a part of a threat/possible threat item(s) - and that would be a stretch without serious creativity. That is not a nebulous "someone", it is any individual that would prevent a passenger from taking their nitro with them. I have heard no workable articulation thus far that would change that stance (I am open to hearing it, but I have not heard it as of this moment). I am not pretending at all, I am merely telling you, that the training indicates different, all published information indicates different, and I have repeatedly stated so in open forums. If a TSO prevents a passenger from taking nitro with them, and does not have a reasonable articulation as to why they are not allowing the passenger to take them, they are wrong, period. I can't get much clearer than that.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have consistently, and firmly stated that anyone that would take nitro meds without some articulable reason that it is a part of a threat/possible threat item(s) - and that would be a stretch without serious creativity. That is not a nebulous "someone", it is any individual that would prevent a passenger from taking their nitro with them. I have heard no workable articulation thus far that would change that stance (I am open to hearing it, but I have not heard it as of this moment). I am not pretending at all, I am merely telling you, that the training indicates different, all published information indicates different, and I have repeatedly stated so in open forums. If a TSO prevents a passenger from taking nitro with them, and does not have a reasonable articulation as to why they are not allowing the passenger to take them, they are wrong, period. I can't get much clearer than that.
In the case of "nitroglycerin pills" TSA never states that item is allowed. But TSA clearly states that a screener can disallow an item just because they want too. No articulable reason required.

At least the right action was expressed "taking" and not voluntary surrender!

And I would prefer to use correct terminology so no one confuses a medicine with explosives.

From TSA:

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-.../whatcanibring

What Can I Bring?

Planning ahead and packing properly can facilitate the screening process and ease your travel experience at the airport. Know what you can pack in your carry-on and checked baggage before arriving at the airport by reviewing the lists below. Even if an item is generally permitted, it may be subject to additional screening or not allowed through the checkpoint if it triggers an alarm during the screening process, appears to have been tampered with, or poses other security concerns. Read about civil penalties for prohibited items.

For items not listed here, simply snap a picture or send a question to AskTSA on Facebook Messenger or Twitter. We look forward to answering your questions, from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. ET weekdays and 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. weekends/holidays.

The final decision rests with the TSA officer on whether an item is allowed through the checkpoint.

Nitroglycerin pills

Sorry, no results found at this time.

Suggestions:
  • Verify the item is spelled correctly.
  • Try entering fewer search terms.

Last edited by Boggie Dog; Jul 2, 2017 at 1:13 pm Reason: added content
Old Jul 3, 2017, 11:25 am

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
In the case of "nitroglycerin pills" TSA never states that item is allowed. But TSA clearly states that a screener can disallow an item just because they want too. No articulable reason required.

At least the right action was expressed "taking" and not voluntary surrender!

And I would prefer to use correct terminology so no one confuses a medicine with explosives.

From TSA:

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-.../whatcanibring

I think the problem is the system has an "E" on the end, I will forward a message up the line to try and get that corrected. Add the "e", and the screen above is what you get. Type in "nitro pills" and the results are the same as Nitroglycerine pills.

What Can I Bring?

Planning ahead and packing properly can facilitate the screening process and ease your travel experience at the airport. Know what you can pack in your carry-on and checked baggage before arriving at the airport by reviewing the lists below. Even if an item is generally permitted, it may be subject to additional screening or not allowed through the checkpoint if it triggers an alarm during the screening process, appears to have been tampered with, or poses other security concerns. Read about civil penalties for prohibited items.

For items not listed here, simply snap a picture or send a question to AskTSA on Facebook Messenger or Twitter. We look forward to answering your questions, from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. ET weekdays and 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. weekends/holidays.

The final decision rests with the TSA officer on whether an item is allowed through the checkpoint.

Nitroglycerine Pills

Carry On Bags: Yes
Checked Bags: Yes

Last edited by gsoltso; Jul 3, 2017 at 11:26 am Reason: Add more information.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had not noticed the word with an e before. Each time if the word nitro was entered a drop down with choices appeared. Last time I checked before today there were 3 choices using combinations of Nitroglycerin pills, tablets, and if I remember correctly sublingual tablets. Today the word nitroglyercine and nitro have been added. The word with the e is misspelled. The system needs to accept the correct spelling and return the correct answer. It does not at this time.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 1:05 pm

I don't care how the system spells it or doesn't spell it.

It isn't binding at the checkpoint and I have no way of verifying ahead of time the policy of the screeners I will be encountering.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I had not noticed the word with an e before. Each time if the word nitro was entered a drop down with choices appeared. Last time I checked before today there were 3 choices using combinations of Nitroglycerin pills, tablets, and if I remember correctly sublingual tablets. Today the word nitroglyercine and nitro have been added. The word with the e is misspelled. The system needs to accept the correct spelling and return the correct answer. It does not at this time.
TSA’s 2017 Summer Travel Tips | Transportation Security ...
http://www.tsa.gov/blog/2017/05/25/t...er-travel-tips
nitroglycerin pills Search Sorry, no results found at this time.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 10:11 pm

Programs: DL, WN, US, Avis, AA
I quite agree with you that a TSO who does not allow a passenger to carry nitro pills is wrong. Where we part company is that I maintain that such a screener is employed by and acting on behalf of and exercising the authority of TSA and thus is it correct to say "TSA took my pills". One cannot credibly claim that a screener is suddenly not associated with TSA whenever that screener goes outside the bounds of policy, procedures or training.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 4:27 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by T-the-B
I quite agree with you that a TSO who does not allow a passenger to carry nitro pills is wrong. Where we part company is that I maintain that such a screener is employed by and acting on behalf of and exercising the authority of TSA and thus is it correct to say "TSA took my pills". One cannot credibly claim that a screener is suddenly not associated with TSA whenever that screener goes outside the bounds of policy, procedures or training.
Yes, especially when the agency backs up and defends the screener's behavior by obfuscating the issue with excuses like SSI, consistent inconsistency, FSD autonomy, and individual screener discretion.

Unless the agency obviously disciplines those who go rogue and violate SOP, they are enabling the behavior, and are as guilty of it agency-wide as the individual TSO who commits the violation.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by WillCAD
Yes, especially when the agency backs up and defends the screener's behavior by obfuscating the issue with excuses like SSI, consistent inconsistency, FSD autonomy, and individual screener discretion.

Unless the agency obviously disciplines those who go rogue and violate SOP, they are enabling the behavior, and are as guilty of it agency-wide as the individual TSO who commits the violation.
Not only enabling the behavior, but even condoning it.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 9:56 am

How do you violate an SOP that consists of one rule: "the screener has the final say"?

You will note that nowhere does TSA say "The screener has the final say but you may ask to speak to a supervisor if the screener's demands are completely opposite of what is posted on the website or disagree with what TSA told you on Twitter".

You may also note that TSA has deliberately strengthened the language. It used to be 'screener discretion', but TSA wants to make it very clear that 'discretion' doesn't mean you can appeal the decision. TSA even makes it clear that a screener has the right to confiscate 'generally permitted items' if he feels like it, no reason necessary - in other words, reinforcing that nothing on the website, FB or twitter means anything at the checkpoint.

The current rule on medical nitro is the same as it always has been: "You may take your medically necessary nitro pills, which are generally permitted, unless a screener decides you can not take them. The screener has the final say."

Last edited by chollie; Jul 4, 2017 at 10:12 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.