FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate-687/)
-   -   Global Entry privileges revoked for carrying expired medication? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/1845988-global-entry-privileges-revoked-carrying-expired-medication.html)

jphripjah Jun 2, 2017 11:47 am

Global Entry privileges revoked for carrying expired medication?

Interesting blog here from someone who had global entry privileges revoked after CBP "caught" him exiting the USA with expired prescription medications:

http://freetravelguys.com/global-ent...-wont-believe/

TWA884 Jun 2, 2017 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by jphripjah (Post 28393629)
Interesting blog here from someone who had global entry privileges revoked after CBP "caught" him exiting the USA with expired prescription medications:

http://freetravelguys.com/global-ent...-wont-believe/

I believe that the OP's wife, a physician, has posted about this experience on FlyerTalk:

Originally Posted by RoTraveler (Post 28317527)
Husband GE Revoked because of expiration of medication bottle

Hello
out of LAX last week , very verbally abusive customs agent searched my husband and when he saw 2 of his prescription bottles had recommended expiration date had passed he started shouting at my husband and telling him " either you abuse your anxiety medication or you sell them because they are expired "
he almost did not let my husband board our international flight
his prescription bottles were originals that had his name , doctors name , RX etc
we had never heard of any requirement to travel with med bottles that had current expiry dates and some don't even have expiration dates ,

even when I look up online CBP rules state as long as medication is on original RX container you are complying with rules
this agent was obviously on a power trip
he then told my hubby he was going to give him a warning but 2 days later he got an email saying his global entry had been revoked
we are furious , he never broke any rules to deserve this , so pathetic

Originally Posted by RoTraveler (Post 28319474)
thanks I am a GE member too , however I don't travel as much as my hubby and we have different last names
no we did not argue with the agent as we know these people you can't really argue with
my hubby just told him that he did not know of any rule that requires dates on prescription med bottles to be current. But the guy did not care and continue rambling about oh no it is ILLEGAL those were his words , his rambling about RX meds did not make any sense (I am a physician ) but of course we did not argue with him because he was on a power trip and had threatened not to let him board our flight

[Moderator's hat on]

Since this thread is likely to develop into policy debate and commentary, as opposed to offering practical trusted travelers advice and information, I have moved it to the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum from the Trusted Travelers forum.

[Moderator's hat off]

CosmosHuman Jun 2, 2017 6:55 pm

Wow. I hope this can be resolved. I take meds, and one is generic Xanax, in a small ziplock bag with the Rx label on it. I sure hope that is OK, as I have GE.

sk8er Jun 3, 2017 11:58 am

Thanks for posting this.

I am traveling out of LAX tomorrow and I put the necessary medication in the older bottles so I can have my prescription number at home when I get back and it is time to re-order. I guess I have to switch the bottles now.

drewguy Jun 5, 2017 10:08 am

From the blog:

UPDATE 6/5/2017: A CBP officer called me on this date and noted this article had caught CBP’s attention and noted that he had reviewed my particular situation and concluded my Global Entry had been revoked for an invalid reason, apologized for the inconvenience, and noted that my Global Entry clearance had been reinstated effective immediately, bringing this situation to a successful resolution. Thank you to those CBP agents who were professional and diligent about listening to my situation and taking the time to correct an otherwise unpleasant incident.
That's a good outcome, given that the person wasn't even important drugs (whether or not legally) - according to the report, the person was departing the country. Too bad the person had to post it on a blog in order to get the decision reversed. Hopefully the agent will be disciplined and GE procedures looked at to prevent recurrence of this.

Boggie Dog Jun 5, 2017 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by drewguy (Post 28405251)
From the blog:

That's a good outcome, given that the person wasn't even important drugs (whether or not legally) - according to the report, the person was departing the country. Too bad the person had to post it on a blog in order to get the decision reversed. Hopefully the agent will be disciplined and GE procedures looked at to prevent recurrence of this.

I think some form of corrective action should be taken against the CBP officer who made the first determination. Of course the public will never know if anything was done or not.

drewguy Jun 5, 2017 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog (Post 28405895)
I think some form of corrective action should be taken against the CBP officer who made the first determination. Of course the public will never know if anything was done or not.

Agree - CBP reviewer should also get some, um, retraining.

jphripjah Aug 30, 2017 2:38 am

Can someone point me to the CBP rules that say it's OK to have expired medication?

Often1 Aug 30, 2017 6:35 am

CBP rules won't tell you what is "OK" they will explain what is prohibited. E.g., exporting drugs for reseale, which is the factual leap the original CBP Officer made.