Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chances of theft for checked bags

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2017, 12:01 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
At MEX for international arrivals they frequently (although not nearly as often now as in the past) have screeners checking bag tags to tickets before going to aduana (customs).

At DCA a few years ago a congresscritter claimed someone stole her bag. Took the airport police dept only a few hours using surveillance footage to identify the taxi the thief used and then track him to a hotel room. They found him with all her stuff spread around the bed.
Old May 25, 2017, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by boybi
I'm thinking that anyone can just grab a bag from the belt and just walk out of the airport. But I haven't heard of such incident. But I've heard of friends experience of getting the wrong bag that are similar to theirs.
I saw on here a while back that there are airports which allow people to walk straight into the baggage area and just take stuff

Originally Posted by susiesan
If everyone is forced to put their electronics in checked bags just watch this kind of theft soar. There will be a much greater chance that the stolen bag does contain some valuable items if the cabin ban on electronics goes into effect.
Insurance companies probably won't cover you. And america wants things "larger than a phone" in the hold on flights from certain middle east countries - this would apply to headphones, laptops, cameras, medical devices - it didn't specify whether they would allow medical devices in cabin if needed.

Originally Posted by KRSW
Some people will opt for the ugly method:
Might not always work - a lot of tourists use garish suitcases like pink leopard print etc, so thieves might look for those

Originally Posted by chollie
I stood there in disbelief as the guy next to me grabbed it off the carousel, set it down, looked at it with his wife, then pulled up the handle and prepared to march off - with my bag.
they're either stupid or intended to steal it

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
An interesting experience in SHA recently:

I (white) walked up to the baggage carousel without difficulty. A traveling companion (Chinese) was stopped by an official and required to show a claim check before being allowed to enter the roped-off area around the carousel. Neither of us was checked upon exiting the area, they were only seeing if the person checked baggage, not matching the bags to the ticket.
And they say they don't profile?

Originally Posted by apodo77
Got my bag back and the only thing missing were my uderwear. Was creepy.
I read somewhere that putting well worn underwear on top, and squishing a hershey's kiss into it will put off baggage handler/security thieves

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
Now, I check the tag. Every. Single. Time. I don't care how sure I am.
I was trying to read the tags of generic black suitcases after returning from IAD, forgetting I had put a multicoloured scarf round the top and side handles, I noticed it as soon as it came round to me lol I should've waited instead of almost getting dragged along with the carousel lol
Old May 25, 2017, 2:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by nmh1204
I was trying to read the tags of generic black suitcases after returning from IAD, forgetting I had put a multicoloured scarf round the top and side handles, I noticed it as soon as it came round to me lol I should've waited instead of almost getting dragged along with the carousel lol
HAHA

I do it after pulling the bag. I generally get it right, but can put it back on if I'm wrong.
Old May 25, 2017, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
In my experience MCO (Orlando FL) is the worst airport for this. The combination of cognizantly unaware senior citizens and harried families acting in haste to get to the mouse house is the perfect baggage claim storm.

SL
Old May 25, 2017, 6:53 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by SunLover
In my experience MCO (Orlando FL) is the worst airport for this. The combination of cognizantly unaware senior citizens and harried families acting in haste to get to the mouse house is the perfect baggage claim storm.

SL
Totally guilty at MCO. Husband grabbed bag thinking it was mine. Staying at hotel near MCO so he returned it within the hour, and fetched the correct one. But still concerned that the soft areas of the airports no longer have heightened security.
Old May 25, 2017, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by shopgirlblonde
But still concerned that the soft areas of the airports no longer have heightened security.
No longer? I haven't experienced bag tag checking in the US in 20+ years (OAK)
Old May 26, 2017, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shopgirlblonde
Totally guilty at MCO. Husband grabbed bag thinking it was mine. Staying at hotel near MCO so he returned it within the hour, and fetched the correct one. But still concerned that the soft areas of the airports no longer have heightened security.
My wife tried to do it at SHA recently on board! She told me to take a particular bag, it was only once we were out in the jetway that I figured out she thought it was mine, I thought I was being told to carry her sister's bag. Returned to the FA.

It was quite similar to my backpack but smaller--but my backpack was sitting in SHA, it hadn't taken the trip at all.
Old May 26, 2017, 12:47 pm

Interesting thread.
I imagine luggage thieves would be much more common if people put valuable new stuff in their checked bags. How much are you going to get in cash for used beach towels, used denim jeans, used sunglasses, used novels, used shirts, used camera. Not worth a trip to ye olde gaol. We know by now that TSA and other airport staff, who can inspect the items first, are more likely to do the pilfering than mere amateurs.
Old May 26, 2017, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yandosan
Interesting thread.
I imagine luggage thieves would be much more common if people put valuable new stuff in their checked bags. How much are you going to get in cash for used beach towels, used denim jeans, used sunglasses, used novels, used shirts, used camera. Not worth a trip to ye olde gaol. We know by now that TSA and other airport staff, who can inspect the items first, are more likely to do the pilfering than mere amateurs.
I've long suspected that TSA Baggage screeners use the xray vision they are given to alert others out of eyesight on which bags to pilfer.
Old May 28, 2017, 12:30 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
MIA can be a very long hike to baggage claim. Easy for bags to get there first. LAS, D gates, have to catch a tram to baggage claim. Another opportunity for bags to arrive before the traveler.
Understand the challenge and thus always try and do carryon
Old May 29, 2017, 5:37 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
I always check the tag of my bag before I leave the carousel.

I've only had someone take my bag by mistake once, but it was in a supermarket, not an airport. The cashier had bagged my purchases so quickly that the customers ahead of me had not yet taken theirs, and they took the first bag of mine as well. I ran after them and they were deeply affronted, as if they thought that I was trying to steal their groceries.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.