Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Let's Talk About Passport Cards!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2017, 7:46 am
Original Poster

I googled something about the passport card and I found some new information to share with you all. Hidden in the State Department's Foreign Affairs Manual, there are procedures to allow the passport card to be used for international air travel under super extreme emergency situations.

https://fam.state.gov/fam/07fam/07fam1300apN.html

It has hyperlinks you can click to get more details.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 11:15 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Jeremy8838
I googled something about the passport card and I found some new information to share with you all. Hidden in the State Department's Foreign Affairs Manual, there are procedures to allow the passport card to be used for international air travel under super extreme emergency situations.

Thanks for link. It would appear it would be close to impossible to use this as it has to be last resort, unique circumstances rendering emergency passports not a viable option and coordination between State Department and airline/foreign country immigration/CBP.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 1:03 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by König
They were not intended for air travel since the very beginning, so they could never be used on flights to Canada. Your sentence implies that they used to be accepted as travel documents for international air travel, but it's not the case.
Familiar with the warning of "never say never"? They've been used before, regardless of what the USG intended -- but it's just very unreliable for air travel to Canada.

It would mean procuring a letter/approval from the relevant US embassy/consulate for the airport of relevance being used to depart toward/to the US and getting that approval/assistance prior to check-in attempt. And unless the passport blank and visa blank supplies are out, there is a major system outage or an "Act of God"/conflict zone type situation nearest the embassy/consulate of relevance, flying out on common carriers using just a US passport card doesn't happen AFAIK unless the airline has messed up.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 5, 2017 at 1:09 pm
Old Jul 16, 2017, 12:25 am

Obviously the legislation referred to in the PDF did not pass.

Anyone know why - as in who opposed it, did it get a committee hearing, etc.?
Old Jul 16, 2017, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BigFlyer
Obviously the legislation referred to in the PDF did not pass.

Anyone know why - as in who opposed it, did it get a committee hearing, etc.?
I really couldn't find any media reports it or anything. I think it just was referred to committee and not acted upon.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 12:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL

The policy simply restates the obvious.

A USN can't be denied entry to the US. Period.

The problem is convincing a carrier to board you. Once you make it to CBP, you will be admitted sooner or later once you can be verified as a USN. That may be very quick or it may take a bit. People wind up losing their passports and all ID and wind up getting cleared.

State issues replacement passports, passport replacing documents and other emergency authorizations in order to get people out of where they are and onto an aircraft to the US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.