Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Why do they get shocked when your pockets are full of stuff in Precheck lane?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why do they get shocked when your pockets are full of stuff in Precheck lane?

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2017, 8:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Before they worry about ceramic knives (have they ever actually found one?), they should master the skill of finding loaded guns and bricks of explosive in their original, clearly labelled government wrappers.
Old May 22, 2017, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DoTheBartMan
Perhaps they don't appreciate people who try to clear security with a ceramic knife (or any other non-permitted item that won't set off the metal detector) in their pocket?
If the person has a ceramic knife, or other non-metal object, in their pocket and go through the metal detector it will likely not be detected. If they go through the Strip Search Machine it should be detected and the machine has met its purpose.

So what's the problem?
Old May 22, 2017, 2:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: Lowest level possible
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
If the person has a ceramic knife, or other non-metal object, in their pocket and go through the metal detector it will likely not be detected. If they go through the Strip Search Machine it should be detected and the machine has met its purpose.

So what's the problem?
You're making my point.

If someone going through the metal detector has to empty their pockets and send everything through the x-ray, the ceramic knife would also be detected. Which is why they require you to empty your pockets and the "as long as I don't have anything metallic in my pockets, I can keep stuff in my pockets when going through the metal detector" thinking doesn't work (and would be a security risk if allowed).

Last edited by DoTheBartMan; May 22, 2017 at 3:30 pm
Old May 25, 2017, 8:23 am

Actually... a ceramic knife, or a metal one for that matter, won't be detected by a NOS either as long as it's flat against your body, especially along the sides of legs.

I've had TSOs tell me to _LEAVE_ my wallet & such in my pockets just as long as there wasn't anything metal in there.
Old May 25, 2017, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DoTheBartMan
You're making my point.

If someone going through the metal detector has to empty their pockets and send everything through the x-ray, the ceramic knife would also be detected. Which is why they require you to empty your pockets and the "as long as I don't have anything metallic in my pockets, I can keep stuff in my pockets when going through the metal detector" thinking doesn't work (and would be a security risk if allowed).
I've never been told by a TSA screener to empty my pockets before going through a WTMD. I do remove most of my metal before entering but do not remove my belt, rings, or such.

I really could care less about small knives. I just don't see the threat. If some person is stupid enough to try hijacking an airplane with a knife they deserve the beatdown that is coming for them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.