Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]

Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]

Old May 12, 2017, 10:42 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by MSY-MSP
Well things are going to get interesting here. The ban is coming it is just a matter of when. The issue that i am hearing is that the US wants just a cell phone allowed and nothing else every thing else in the hold. The EU has apparently informed the US that they are not going to allow the loading of the other devices in the cargo hold, and will remove those items from checked luggage. And what we have now is a stand off.
Let's hope the leaders of the free world save the US from themselves.
Old May 12, 2017, 10:46 am

Location: Cupertino, CA - AA:PLT 2MM; Marriott:Plt; Hilton:Slv
Ugh, not looking forward to this. So many issues...not being able to work on the plane, not having IFE, small children that can't be entertained for 12 hours (mine included...), having to check bags again...

Luckily for me I only head overseas a few times a year, but if I get caught up in this, my solution will be this. Have my overseas office have a loaner laptop waiting, put all my stuff on an SSD / USB and just use the loaner there. I hate to leave my ipad at home (tablets confiscation is just stupid), but I guess I'll be renting Apple store movies on my tiny iphone from now on to stay "carry on only".

Let's just completely shut down all air travel...that would mitigate the risk, eh?
Old May 12, 2017, 10:49 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by gooselee
In any case, add me to the list of people who is prohibited from being separated from my laptop and associated data while in transit due to both our contractual commitments to customers as well as relevant laws around the PII we deal with. We have people in EMEA right now, with direct flights back to the US.
Genuine question to those who have these restrictions.

1. When you go to dinner you don't leave your laptop in your hotel room?
2. When you go to the gym, you carry your laptop from station to station?
3. When you go to the pool you have the laptop on the deck near your hands?
4. If you are single you take your laptop with you to other people's rooms if you have a meaningful encounter, which means you had the laptop with you in the bar when you met the person?
Old May 12, 2017, 11:03 am

Programs: AA Plat, various hotels
With the electronics ban and the reported tightening of ESTA, it really does seem the USA does not want people to visit.

I have 2 holidays booked to the USA this year, but wont be coming next year if these things come to fruition
Old May 12, 2017, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
Seen today in CVG

Flying home from FCO on Delta this Sunday. Will report back if this is indeed in effect at least as it relates to DL.

Might need to download a couple shows to my phone as backup in case we get bored of AVOD and can't get to iPad / laptop
Old May 12, 2017, 11:05 am

I know that restrictions are coming on electronics. I hope that they do a reasonable approach. Not that i would like it, I would tolerate and could probably live with a one phone, one laptop/tablet restriction per/pax restriction.
IMO this is not reasonable in this day and age. If I am travelling internationally, I have and need to have two phones. I also have a laptop and a Kindle.

This entire "ban/limit everything" approach is misguided. Why did I go through the hoops of being vetted as a trusted traveler -- which means they trust me enough to believe I don't have plastic explosive taped to my body and can simply walk through the metal detector -- but I can't be trusted enough to carry a laptop?

Why all laptops and not just large ones (how much explosive could you possibly fit in a thin and light laptop and still have it turn on, much less an e-ink Kindle or an iPad)? Will this ban include noise-cancelling earbuds? What about "electronics" that have no battery, like hard drives, flash drives, a Roku, etc? What about my 1 inch long Fitbit or my one inch squre iPod nano? What about my watch, for that matter? (Does anyone have a watch without some kind of battery in it?) How small do the items have to get before this is just insanely stupid?

Why just international flights or flights from Europe? Won't the terrorists just switch their plans to domestic flights?

Then again, these are the same geniuses who decided that a sealed bottle of water is a risk to the plane. And they cheerfully allow me to carry on four 3-ounce bottles of shampoo, but one 12 ounce bottle is a threat to the republic. (But I can carry an empty 12 ounce bottle.)

The entire way of approaching and handling these "threats" is just unbelievably stupid, and it will have millions if not billions of dollars in consequences if they enact it. I know the phrase "if whatever, then the terrorists win" is a cliche, but geez. They really have won if we cave and change our practices to this extent.

Flying is already like spending hours in a minimum security prison. Imagine how great it will be with no IFE (since the airlines have been removing it at an amazing clip in favor of "bring your own device" and wifi), no PEDs, and a bunch of kids from 4-10 who have been brought up with these things as babysitters with absolutely nothing to do. Oh, and when you arrive, any electronics you absolutely had to bring in your checked bag will be broken or stolen.

Awesome. What a bunch of idiots.
Old May 12, 2017, 11:07 am

ABC News // Permission to use

Hey SFO 1K - Reaching out for permission for ABC News to use for all platforms and partners with credit to you. You can reach me at [email protected]

Originally Posted by SFO 1K
Seen today in CVG

Old May 12, 2017, 11:07 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Gold
Well things are going to get interesting here. The ban is coming it is just a matter of when. The issue that i am hearing is that the US wants just a cell phone allowed and nothing else every thing else in the hold. The EU has apparently informed the US that they are not going to allow the loading of the other devices in the cargo hold, and will remove those items from checked luggage. And what we have now is a stand off.
Round of applause for the EU. There's no way we can shut down transatlantic travel, so as long as the EU sticks to its guns, the US is going to have to cave. It'd be an utter disaster for the Trump administration to try and play a game of chicken on this one. Just about everyone already thinks the White House is one giant dumpster fire. Once the "blame the Trump administration for the fact your flight has been cancelled" news starts to spread, that goes from a dumpster fire to a house burning down.

Should be extremely interesting to watch. My guess is that the administration will try to stick to their position but will have to cave as soon as it starts to actually impact flights.
Old May 12, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by gooselee
If this goes into effect, their choices will be to cancel flights and find alternate routes back, or to violate a few laws and contractual agreements. If the ban eventually extends to domestic flights, I'm not entirely sure how we'll continue to operate based on the standards our clients expect (and that those laws demand).
The easiest and cheapest would presumably be to destroy (erase?) the hard disk (they have backups in the cloud, right?) and then check the laptops.
Old May 12, 2017, 11:10 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by BearX220
That is my plan. YUL, YYZ, and YOW are only about an hour away from most big airports in the US northeast, mid-Atlantic, and Midwest. There is absolutely no way I am surrendering my laptop to an uncertain fate at Thiefrow, or to sticky-fingered TSAers on the US end. The airlines and security services have not earned that kind of trust.
YYZ to BUF by road will be a lot more in my future.
Old May 12, 2017, 11:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CosmosHuman
Is Delta going to change their CoC for electronics?
Legally, electronics in checked baggage are covered by DL on trips for which the Montreal Convention is applicable -- but only up to 1000SDR equivalent, an amount which isn't a whole lot of money.
Old May 12, 2017, 11:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
There were apparently a few days after the 'liquid' episode when some pax were forced to check almost everything - IIRC, they were only allowed to board with wallets and tickets in a baggie.

So we've proved we can survive it. What the long term impact is, only time will tell. I think it's particularly alarming that there have been reports that TSA is even talking about prohibiting medical devices like CPAPs and breast pumps.

I still think this is all a build-up for some expensive new piece of equipment someone connected to TSA/DHS is ready to roll-out.
Old May 12, 2017, 11:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I suspect someone jumped the gun, saw the printed signs come in via UPS, and put them out.

Not a good sign. Pun intended.
That the signs have a posted date this month seems to mean they should go up before the day is over.
Old May 12, 2017, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by sbrower
Genuine question to those who have these restrictions.

1. When you go to dinner you don't leave your laptop in your hotel room?
2. When you go to the gym, you carry your laptop from station to station?
3. When you go to the pool you have the laptop on the deck near your hands?
4. If you are single you take your laptop with you to other people's rooms if you have a meaningful encounter, which means you had the laptop with you in the bar when you met the person?
We were always told to lock it in the safe. And doubly so when you bring someone over, make sure to lock everything including passport and wallet in the safe beforehand.
Old May 12, 2017, 11:25 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Gold
Well said, whitearrow. The sensible approach is to focus on who's flying, not what they're carrying with them. 99.99% of travelers can be easily identified as not a threat. All we need to do is come up with some sort of combined EU/US vetting system akin to Global Entry to identify those trusted travelers. Let them take all of their electronics on board. Anyone who we can't be sure about, let them check their electronics, ship them, not travel, etc. Or, maybe there's some sort of more intensive screening process. Everyone who's known and trusted go over there. Everyone else, come over here and go through this intensive screening process. No big deal. It's ridiculous to impose a one size fits all policy when we can fairly easily separate passengers into discrete groups and apply sensible rules to each group.

I hope that's the outcome here. If the EU refuses to play by these rules, maybe it'll force the US to negotiate down to some sort of trusted traveler system that will both keep everyone secure while keeping air travel reasonably pleasant and productive.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.