Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2017, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The masking of explosives by way of batteries has been known about for decades. It's really not new, not even with regard to laptop batteries. Being able to do so with the laptop powering on is also not rocket science and nowhere close to new.

These characters should be focusing on more effective ETD means more than trying to push in place such a ban in for all travel to the US. And it's all the more ridiculous to exclude travel within the US when the means and know-how knows no borders -- well, North Korea's border may be an exception.

Maybe a puffer that works (for TSA) and is used for both living and non-living cargo.
Old May 18, 2017, 12:43 pm

Speaking of inconsistency, it sounds like electronics in the cabin are only going to be banned on flights to the US and not out of the US. If that is the case, my laptop is safe to be in the cabin leaving the US, but it isn't safe to be in the cabin on the return trip. That makes no sense.

I assume the other countries will have a reciprocal ban. If they do, but the US doesn't have a domestic ban, how are they going to prevent electronics getting on the plane if you have a domestic to international connection? Is there going to be a bag check at every gate departing the US?
Old May 18, 2017, 12:45 pm

The answer is obvious - Domestic ban WILL go into effect when the Int'l one does.
Old May 18, 2017, 1:00 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by JoeBas
The answer is obvious - Domestic ban WILL go into effect when the Int'l one does.
It hasn't worked that way so far. But those checked-in electronics that came into the US (and UK) on flights from/via the ban-hit countries have been allowed in the passenger cabin on domestic US flights. Go figure.
Old May 18, 2017, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by FL390
The Times is reporting that the ban will be in place by the end of the month: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/u...haos-002vgzjwv
So if the intention is still to meet between EU and the US admin next week (Wednesday? 24th) in DC and with "up to a third of flights from #EU could be cancelled temporarily", they'd have a week to implement that and manage the passenger backlog. Even without a domestic ban from the start, the aftershocks would be directly felt by e.g. hotels and conferences if the capacity for flying to the US decreases.
Old May 18, 2017, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JoeBas
Since business travel subsidizes economy fares, if implemented domestically, say goodbye to almost all flights between cities that can be driven to in one day. Maybe Spirit will survive. Enjoy that. Domestic business class except transcon will not be economically sustainable. Which means the flights won't be. Good for rental car companies though. Big chance for Amtrak. Though why blowing up a train isn't considered horrific enough to care about is just another indication of the underlying true motivations of this nonsense.
Old May 18, 2017, 1:14 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles (Silver), Hilton Honors (Diamond), Amtrak Guest Rewards, Clear, Nexus
For me, the most worrisome aspect of all of this is that none of the airlines are even attempting to soothe the fears of their customers by letting them know what type of electronics handling services they will put into effect if/when this ban goes into effect. Like several other posters here, I'm flying out to Europe next week and returning in mid-June. While I'd prefer to have my iPad and laptop in the cabin with me, I would be willing to put up with Emirates-style special handling, but would not travel at all with these devices if it had to go in regular checked bags. While I'm assuming that the major European airlines would attempt to introduce some service for handling electronic items, I highly doubt we'll see the same on discount carriers like Norwegian or Spirit.

Really hoping for a smooth implementation without having to cancel 1/3 of all trans-Atlantic flights like FT is reporting.
Old May 18, 2017, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
As I noted yesterday a worldwide ban is a no-brainer. They'd be daft to only do the EU and pretend that terrorists couldn't just come in from elsewhere - I also agree that it's only a matter of time for domestic flights as well for the same reasoning.

It's also too early to completely assume that this will wipe out air travel, MSY-MSP has been reporting options that would allow you to have your 1 electronic (laptop or iPad for business traveler) + 1 phone which is what I would guess we'd see accompanied by more stringent searching of those devices (if that technology exists).

I do agree a full-fledged ban for domestic and international will completely kill the economy and in particular take down most of the airlines.

My bigger concern remains the lithium battery issue and how they solve it.

If we assume the ban will go in place, the ideal outcome (based on the fact that one outcome is a complete ban in the hold and in the cabin) for me would be 1 laptop/iPad with enhanced security and 1 cellphone, no electronics in the hold.
Old May 18, 2017, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA Gold
This will also impact leisure travelers. Because this isn't just a laptop ban, it affects cameras, many leisure travelers won't fly for vacation if they cannot carry on their camera. Many people will choose to do a driving vacation. I am one of those travelers. I can live without my iPad during the flight as I usually am in J on an award ticket when flying overseas. But If I am vacationing abroad and cannot have a decent camera with me, I will change where I take vacations. being able to take good photos with a decent camera is one of the reasons I travel. Taking photos with a cell phone camera doesn't cut it.
Old May 18, 2017, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
I don't recall if this link was mentioned before, but I stumbled across it earlier today:

Basically a long list of battery related incidents and accidents the FAA has compiled. Interesting read.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...dent_chart.pdf

I downloaded it in case the website gets "improved" in coming weeks.
Old May 18, 2017, 1:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by susiesan
This will also impact leisure travelers. Because this isn't just a laptop ban, it affects cameras, many leisure travelers won't fly for vacation if they cannot carry on their camera. Many people will choose to do a driving vacation. I am one of those travelers. I can live without my iPad during the flight as I usually am in J on an award ticket when flying overseas. But If I am vacationing abroad and cannot have a decent camera with me, I will change where I take vacations. being able to take good photos with a decent camera is one of the reasons I travel. Taking photos with a cell phone camera doesn't cut it.
A ban on laptops and tablets will impact leisure and business travelers. Can you imagine what is going to happen when the electronic babysitter of iPads aren't allowed in-flight and the accompanying adults don't have any other readily available way to entertain and/or soothe the little animals? It's going to be unpleasant for as far as the noise can travel on the plane.
Old May 18, 2017, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I don't recall if this link was mentioned before, but I stumbled across it earlier today:

Basically a long list of battery related incidents and accidents the FAA has compiled. Interesting read.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...dent_chart.pdf

I downloaded it in case the website gets "improved" in coming weeks.
Good catch! And good thought...
If logic had anything at all to do with any of this, the document would be compelling.
Dealing with people that buy the "But..TERRORISTS!" argument, it's meaningless.
Facts just confuse them and make them more afraid.
Old May 18, 2017, 1:52 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by iad2jfk
For me, the most worrisome aspect of all of this is that none of the airlines are even attempting to soothe the fears of their customers by letting them know what type of electronics handling services they will put into effect if/when this ban goes into effect. Like several other posters here, I'm flying out to Europe next week and returning in mid-June. While I'd prefer to have my iPad and laptop in the cabin with me, I would be willing to put up with Emirates-style special handling, but would not travel at all with these devices if it had to go in regular checked bags. While I'm assuming that the major European airlines would attempt to introduce some service for handling electronic items, I highly doubt we'll see the same on discount carriers like Norwegian or Spirit.

Really hoping for a smooth implementation without having to cancel 1/3 of all trans-Atlantic flights like FT is reporting.
I'm not sure I'd even count on the legacy US carriers having anything decent as far as special handling.
Old May 18, 2017, 1:55 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by GUWonder
A ban on laptops and tablets will impact leisure and business travelers. Can you imagine what is going to happen when the electronic babysitter of iPads aren't allowed in-flight and the accompanying adults don't have any other readily available way to entertain and/or soothe the little animals? It's going to be unpleasant for as far as the noise can travel on the plane.
I doubt that'll be the case for very long if/once the e-ban is in place and the new norm settles into the public consciousness.

I'm not a parent but before the ubiquitousness of smartphones and tablets books, manipulable toys and other non-electronic games were the norm for occupying younger children in flight. It's not a stretch to conclude that parents will adapt for the sake of their own sanity.
Old May 18, 2017, 2:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by essxjay
I doubt that'll be the case for very long if/once the e-ban is in place and the new norm settles into the public consciousness.

I'm not a parent but before the ubiquitousness of smartphones and tablets books, manipulable toys and other non-electronic games were the norm for occupying younger children in flight. It's not a stretch to conclude that parents will adapt for the sake of their own sanity.
I was flying long-haul international flights as a little kid when the only in-flight entertainment was non-electronics. What worked then doesn't work all that well now. And the academic studies on children and technology speaks a fair amount to it.

The non-flight use of the electronics devices has its own addictive tendency. And withdrawal for even the marginally addicted can result in outbursts. Parents seem to have way less control over children now than they used to have, and the electronic babysitters have become the ultimate weapon/tool in the parental armory. Which nuclear power voluntary gives up all of its nukes and expects the dynamics on the stage to remain all the same? None, from what I see.

People may adapt, but the period prior to full adaptation can be long and can be disruptive to relative calm in the cabin for quite some time and then some.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.