Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]

Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]

Old May 17, 2017, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by lexi
The United States and the European Union reaffirmed their commitment to continue working closely together on aviation security generally, including meeting next week in Washington D.C. to further assess shared risks and solutions for protecting airline passengers, whilst ensuring the smooth functioning of global air travel.
Will the European delegates be allowed to take their laptops to D.C.?
Old May 17, 2017, 1:17 pm

deleted

Last edited by markle; May 25, 2023 at 7:23 am
Old May 17, 2017, 1:21 pm

Programs: DL PM, EK GOLD
Originally Posted by wco81
Yeah I never tested the weight limit but also have to deal with the bulk. Can all that gear fit into the overhead?

Also if you have to take connecting short-haul flights on smaller airlines, carry-on limits would be tighter.
Yes, I travel with 2 Canon 1Dx SLR's, 300f2.8, 70-200f2.8, 24/70f2.8, 1.4TC, Fisheye, my MotoGP vest, Li battery charger two strobes and they all fit in a ThinkTank Airport V2.0 roller and the only overhead that it won't fit in is a CRJ700 (it will but it's a push...)

I'm off to Mugello then onto Catalunya for the last week in May and first week in June, so I'm following this closely. I need my gear to shoot here at home and racing abroad. Sigh.
Old May 17, 2017, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K
[i]

The United States and the European Union reaffirmed their commitment to continue working closely together on aviation security generally, including meeting next week in Washington D.C. to further assess shared risks and solutions for protecting airline passengers, whilst ensuring the smooth functioning of global air travel.
It's not over yet...
Old May 17, 2017, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA PLT, HH Diamond

Press Office

U.S. Department of Homeland Security

Press Release

May 17, 2017

JOINT STATEMENT BY THE EUROPEAN COMMISSION AND DHS ON AVIATION SECURITY COOPERATION

BRUSSELS Today, European Commissioner for Migration, Home Affairs and Citizenship, Dimitris Avramopoulos, and European Commissioner for Transport, Violeta Bulc, hosted a delegation from the United States in Brussels, led by Deputy Secretary of Homeland Security Elaine Duke, to discuss issues related to aviation security and safety.

At the meeting, both sides exchanged information on the serious evolving threats to aviation security and approaches to confronting such threats. Participants provided insight into existing aviation security standards and detection capabilities as well as recent security enhancements on both sides of the Atlantic related to large electronic devices placed in checked baggage.

# # #
The way I am reading this release is that they haven't come to a final agreement yet. But there is a lot you can glean from this simple statement.

1) Its a joint statement meaning both sides agreed to the contents.

2) Nothing has been finalized.

3) They have agreed that what ever comes from this will apply equally to both the EU and the US.

4) The hang up is in the checking of large numbers of large electronic devices.

What I gather from this is that the US went in and said a phone only, the EU said bull.... More information was shared and both sides agreed that something more than a phone was reasonable, but less than if you can carry you can bring it. This leans more towards the idea that the regulation will be some in cabin electronics likely phone and a laptop, but also allowing for some amount of carriage of the items in the hold.

The fact that they are meeting again next week in DC means that we won't likely see new rules for at least another week. However, it does indicated that there will be restrictions coming. The longer this drags out the better it is for us. However, the cynic in me thinks that maybe the EU folks wanted one last trip to the US with their laptops before the ban hits.

The other thing that I like seeing in the release is the "whilst ensuring the smooth functioning of global air travel."
Old May 17, 2017, 1:49 pm
Suspended

No more laptops for UN people too. Laugh! That will make the US a huge no-go area.
Old May 17, 2017, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
No more laptops for UN people too. Laugh! That will make the US a huge no-go area.
Except aviation officials in the rest of the world generally follows US actions in this arena so if the US and EU reach an agreement here, I'd expect the rest of the world won't be far behind as was the case with liquids (Australia is already reported to be considering their own laptop ban)
Old May 17, 2017, 2:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Duke787
Except aviation officials in the rest of the world generally follows US actions in this arena so if the US and EU reach an agreement here, I'd expect the rest of the world won't be far behind as was the case with liquids (Australia is already reported to be considering their own laptop ban)
Only UK banned laptops from MENA. Continental Europe did not.
Old May 17, 2017, 2:26 pm

Programs: Former UA 1P
Originally Posted by markle
This sounds a bit like "no agreement, we're kicking it into the long grass for a while"
I hope the EU stands their ground on refusing to allow all of these devices to be dumped into the hold. The standoff is good for both the sanity and safety of everyone who might fly if it can continue until the knee-jerk paranoia settles down a bit.

I think even the paranoid anything-for-security-no-matter-the-cost career DHS people may realize that the public won't stand for being told they can't take take their $1000+ devices back to the US from Europe at all because it can be neither carried on nor checked. (and no, I don't think FedEx @ hundreds of $ per pax is a viable workaround)

Kudos to the EU; I think this may be the first time anyone at this level has tried to stand up to DHS paranoia.
Old May 17, 2017, 2:52 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by jbeans
Try Google Flights?
You mean - google boats?
Old May 17, 2017, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by invisible
You mean - google boats?
Wouldn't it be ironic if a side effect of this crazy policy was a resurgence of passenger transportation by ship and rail?
Old May 17, 2017, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Only UK banned laptops from MENA. Continental Europe did not.
Except in this case we'd be getting an agreement between Europe and the US. It's hard to imagine that the rest of the world won't follow if the US and Europe put out a ban.

If they don't it's also pretty hard to imagine that the US is going to just ignore the fact that the bad guys they are purporting to thwart could instead just travel with their potential laptops bombs to the US on planes from South America, Australia (already considering a ban), Asia, or Canada/Mexico.
Old May 17, 2017, 3:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
If this proposal got more publicity in the general public, DHS (at the direction of those above them) would hold fast and push through the ban, because the way things are going, Washington doesn't want to be seen as taking defeats.

We can only hope there's minimal coverage of this outside of venues for travel enthusiasts like FT.
Old May 17, 2017, 3:29 pm

Programs: Former UA 1P
Originally Posted by wco81
If this proposal got more publicity in the general public, DHS (at the direction of those above them) would hold fast and push through the ban, because the way things are going, Washington doesn't want to be seen as taking defeats.

We can only hope there's minimal coverage of this outside of venues for travel enthusiasts like FT.
Actually I think the the reverse may be true. DHS hasn't actually announced the ban yet, so if they never go through with formally announcing it, they don't lose face by just letting this go away with "behind the scenes security enhancements" or fairly minimal visible enhancements (e.g., ETD on 10% of laptops instead of 1% or just requiring all electronics removed from bags for x-ray).

In contrast, I fully believe the only reason we still have the war-on-water is because by lifting the water ban DHS would lose face by effectively admitting the ban was ineffective and/or unnecessary.

I'm also heartened that much of the press this proposed laptop ban is getting is negative. Instead of the "anything for security" mentality we've seen for the last 16 years, several mainstream articles have pointed out that forcing laptops into the hold is a bad idea that would worsen safety and fail to address the threat of exploding laptops.
Old May 17, 2017, 3:32 pm

Programs: Various
I actually think we have Donald Trump to thank for that.

With him at the helm lots of more people start asking critical questions.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.